Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Agreed! I wish this would become a permanent mode when playing against randoms (I know you can use amiibo in Battle Arenas). Also, it'd be cool if there was a mode where you can watch your amiibo battle random people's amiibo in real-time. I know there's that amiibo Journey mode, but you can only watch the replays of matches. :( 

I think the only amiibo I have at lvl 50 is my Link (SSB) amiibo. I didn't really bother training my other amiibo to lvl 50, as I didn't really notice my amiibo learning my play style. Maybe that's because I'm not much of a technical player...? Anyway, this should be pretty fun. I know there are some amiibo out there that can absolutely wreck your ass. LOL!. I remember there was that one Fox amiibo that nearly won a SSB4 WIi U tourney against actual pros.

EDIT: Since I've yet to scan any amiibo into SSBU... I've come to find out that I will have to retrain any amiibo I trained in SSB4 to get them back to their current lvl, as they will only get a fraction of their lvl back if you choose to carry over data from SSB4. Also, this will make them unusable with SSB4, unless you wipe all SSBU data. 

Edited by alienboyva

Wow, I'm entering this amiibo tournament.

@alienboyva: Yeah it was mentioned in the 2018 E3 direct that you can carry over you amiibo data from Sm4sh but either you retain your amiibo training style or simply start from scractch. When the game came out December 2018 I had a week off from work specifically to unlock, tryout all the character, play world of light and train all the amiibo I have collected up to that point plus the Wolf and Ridley amiibo to lvl 50 again. That was the longest thing to do outside of completing world of light.

But I from the few time I had my amiibo fought others here in arena on Tuesday nights, they beat up player pretty well and got compliments with my amiibo are trained.

What I do is simply train amiibo for like 2hrs but broken up in 15 minutes segments mixed with 1-on-1 free for all 4 cpu's + (all lvl). Some with me as 1-on-1. For items I make them play without up to lvl 40 then once there I add items. Make them play on as many stages I can in 2hrs, with custom stages. I found out later no matter how hard you train amiibo they can't find their left to their right on user created stages. So I train them for every possibility that may come their way.

The whole journey thing is whack more so to me because my amiibo are already trained and I don't trust how anyone but me train their amiibo to taint what I taught them. I'm gonna make this exception once to see how this tourney would work since I'll be fighting other amiibo, anyways.

Just now, Tyranogre said:

Well, I would suggest somebody from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M, but I don't think they're eligible because they all technically originated from books...

Aren't they public domain books though? And it's not like they'd give us Huck Finn from the book, but from the game... so game originated.

The rumor is that it's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series, which... I mean, maybe this is just me being a Nintendo fanboy and having no interest in that series, but I don't have the slightest idea of what that series or character is aside from that meme--or if it's ever appeared anywhere near a Nintendo system before.

These DLC fighters have been one dud after another for me. So many unaffiliated randos from old games with narrow appeal. As opposed to characters who are more recent, or relevant to Nintendo history, or more beloved in general.

33 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

The rumor is that it's Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series, which... I mean, maybe this is just me being a Nintendo fanboy and having no interest in that series, but I don't have the slightest idea of what that series or character is aside from that meme--or if it's ever appeared anywhere near a Nintendo system before.

These DLC fighters have been one dud after another for me. So many unaffiliated randos from old games with narrow appeal. As opposed to characters who are more recent, or relevant to Nintendo history, or more beloved in general.

Devil May Cry's a pretty important series. Not my pick, either, but I'll admit it would make a lot of people happy. A fifth main series entry just released this past year to a glowing reception, and the original trilogy of games has recently appeared on Switch. Not that the character appearing on Nintendo hardware means anything anymore, given that Cloud got in before Final Fantasy VII got anywhere near the Switch, and no Switch port of Persona 5 is forthcoming. Heck, most of us thought Banjo Kazooie was a pipe dream given Microsoft's possession of the brand. 

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

The only thing about that that kind of takes me off that train is Simon and Richer seem like to close of a match.

The for Dante crux of why....

Based on other stuff I'm hoping for:

Ryu / Ninja Gaiden

Female Pokemon Trainer + 3 New Pokeom (probably tied to S&S) / Pokemon

Some other 3rd party character and I like suggestions of the Rex/Pyra, Shante, Geno.....

I think that that we get a date for the next DLC Amiibo release date.

I think that we get a date and price for Fighter Pass #2

--As part of the 2nd Pass we get a new Nintendo character like Piranha Plant was for Pack 1.

--I'm thinking Pack 2 is where a lot more 3rd party and odd Nintendo characters might appear.

All joking aside from the GX video, but I think with so many FE characters already in the game, I don't think we get another one 

Edited by purple_beard

For what it's worth, Rex and Shantae are still my top picks. One way or another, I believe we'll see Rex eventually, since Sakurai said he wanted to put him in the game, but Xenoblade 2 came out too late in the Smash development cycle for him to make anything more than a Mii costume. Shantae's inclusion is more dubious, and I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up. I don't believe we'll be getting another Fire Emblem or Pokemon rep based on the sheer number of characters from those series already. Given that the DLC characters so far have mostly been fulfilling fan requests, I think Dante is a pretty good bet. 

Hmmm, I wonder with this presentation as usual will the character release the same day or will it be sometime next month?

I ask because these presentations of Sakurai take a month in total from recording to translating, then finally upload whenever according to to what Sakurai said the last presentation with Terry said it took month from to produce.

Also, regardless of who is shown, get ready for a fake the fuck out in the reveal. I expect no less in that department anything else I'll temper expectations.

10 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Hmmm, I wonder with this presentation as usual will the character release the same day or will it be sometime next month?

I ask because these presentations of Sakurai take a month in total from recording to translating, then finally upload whenever according to to what Sakurai said the last presentation with Terry said it took month from to produce.

Also, regardless of who is shown, get ready for a fake the fuck out in the reveal. I expect no less in that department anything else I'll temper expectations.

Yeah, but the last few have dropped right after his presentation later on in the day.  And #5 hasn't had a pre-direct teaser video yet.... so....

1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

Yeah, but the last few have dropped right after his presentation later on in the day.  And #5 hasn't had a pre-direct teaser video yet.... so....

Yes, that last sentence hold true because this was not shown at direct we still have not got this year, you are most likely right that the character will released after presentation.

I'm like 90% certain it will be.

And people wonder why gatekeeping Nintendo purists are often looked down upon...

12 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

And people wonder why gatekeeping Nintendo purists are often looked down upon...

Ah, I remember when I only played Nintendo games (along with Sonic) when I was young. I’m glad a friend opened me up to trying other games outside Nintendo. Otherwise I’d have super buyers remorse over pre-ordering the fighters pass, except for Banjo and Kazooie.