Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

@Carl321 It's not just you--the entire roster has been nerfed. Everyone's grabs, combos,  and unique gimmicks have been toned down. Along with the faster attacks, this makes the roster feel a lot more same-y, probably to control for how big it's getting. In addition, all attacks which moves your fighter have been nerfed--if you want to ,pve, the developers want you to do so using their new mechanics.

Compared to Smash 4, skill is based on knowing technical mechanics more than knowing your character. And the fighting is much more predictive than it was about reading and reacting, which just isn't possible at these speeds.

This is all a heaping load of bullshit btw.  A shitload of characters have been buffed out the ass and especially characters like heavyweights have been loaded with additional mechanics like copious amounts of super armor and better recovery mechanics and more auto-canceling aerials on shorthops.  As opposed to a handful of top tier characters in SSB4 and Brawl, a large portion of the cast now have grab combos and more kill setups than previous games.  Knowing your character's individual strengths and combo setups and kill thresholds is more important now and the only homogenized thing about the roster is that they generalized a lot of landing and crouching frame data.

As for "reading/reacting not being possible at these speeds", just stop being bad at the game.

Edited by luca

Okay, so I've got an Eevee Spirit that I leveled to 99 in World of Light. As it said some Spirits don't reach their full potential until they get to that level. He still has ZERO effect in details, just gives me two of the smaller spirit spaces.

Am I missing something here?

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

Okay, so I've got an Eevee Spirit that I leveled to 99 in World of Light. As it said some Spirits don't reach their full potential until they get to that level. He still has ZERO effect in details, just gives me two of the smaller spirit spaces.

Am I missing something here?

Certain spirits can evolve/enhance at lvl 99 but it tells you on their info if it can.  Example nipper plant can become a petey pirahna when it hits lvl 99.

37 minutes ago, Art_de_Cat said:

Is anyone having a problem with the Smash Ultimate pro controller? Mine will not aknowledge it unless plugged in with cable.  I have updated the controller, but as soon as I unplug it, it disappears off paired controller listing.

20181213_105232.jpg

Nah, mine worked even when I plugged it out when it was partially charged.

On a somewhat separate note, because I own Pokeball Plus and if you want experience everything with the GC adapter, all the slots are used up on the Switch. I plugged in the USB-A to USB-C charger that comes with the Pokeball Plus at the back. (which is USB 3, indicated in blue) I thought the charger wouldn't work but it does. Not so much for charging or pairing the controller.

So I had to plug out one of the USB for GC adapter to pair and charge that controller. Just keep that in mind you cannot pair or charge Switch pro controllers from the back.

1 minute ago, blcdude1 said:

Alternatively, you can unlock Mii Fighters in World of Light. 

Yeah, but that is one of the slowest ways to unlock characters. I actually unlocked Mii Swordfighter pretty early on because I took the top path, that took me to a little forest and to the left of there little village (Tom Nook kids are) and fought and unlocked Mii Swordfighter, just slightly north of the village and in cave like structure.

When I was down to my last 4 to 5 characters, I went ahead and just created the rest of the Miifighters.

4 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Yeah, but that is one of the slowest ways to unlock characters. I actually unlocked Mii Swordfighter pretty early on because I took the top path, that took me to a little forest and to the left of there little village (Tom Nook kids are) and fought and unlocked Mii Swordfighter, just slightly north of the village and in cave like structure.

When I was down to my last 4 to 5 characters, I went ahead and just created the rest of the Miifighters.

It is; especially in the case of the Mii Fighters, where you can just make your own. 

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

So is my Eevee useless then? If so how do I release it or whatever?

When you're done with the spirit you can go to manage spirits and hit release if you want some SP. You'll retain the core for infusion.

Some spirits have bonuses, some have the text "CAN BE ENHANCED AT lv99," and some just say nothing because they do nothing. From what I've seen 4* spirits with no bonus are that way because they have huge stats. 

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

So, I heard about the auto spirit pick thing.   And, its supposed to suggest the best set for you right? Well, in doing some WoL last night, I noticed I could hit Y multiple times and it changed Spirit choices every time.  At that point, I was like.... what would I actually want to upgrade.

Auto-pick seems to just give you the advantageous Spirit type for the fight (attack, shield, or grab) and gives you a Spirit of approximately the same power level as the Spirit you're facing. That's why it can cycle through several options and doesn't necessarily give you the "best" Spirit for the battle, but more like the "recommended" Spirit for giving you an advantage but still keeping the match competitive.