Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Beat World of Light last night. I was expecting a different fight for the last boss, but what they had in the game was still enjoyable. It took me around 22 hours for me to complete, but I skipped some things. I'll just put vague spoilers below for anyone curious.

Spoiler

Apparently there's different endings I guess depending on how much you clear on the last board/map and which boss you want to face. If you clear every spirit and fighter on the last board/map, you get the option of going the middle path that unlocks the true ending. Also completing Adventure mode will unlock the option of New Game + for that save file.

5 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Off the top of my head I have Pit, Chrom, Palutena, Cloud, Toon Link, Ganon,  and I know I am missing a few...

All need is to add Miifighter Brawler and Gunner, and unlock Bowser Jr and maybe King Dedede and Palutena?

EDIT: Actually looked at roster and I'm missing Dr. Mario too. So I really only unlocked 68, d'oh!

Edited by DLurkster

Got my Pirahna Plant code via email and have redeemed it so I'm ready for it come Feb. 2019. Played a lot of World of Light these past few days and finally started going to the east side of the map past the chasm that was blocked off by mighty light. Some of the events I started hitting were tough for me like the Palutena spirit which I found more annoying as heck and just recently The Boss spirit (damn timed stamina) and Dr. Wily spirit (thank the lord for Lucas).

All characters unlocked.

Now the true battle begins!

--------

Yeah, I they fix that phasing glitch, the patch that came out the day before the release suppose to fix but I experience one battle where I was phasing through Pokemon stadium stage, i was wondering what happened, then remember the the clipping in version 1.0.0.

As soon as I jump, I was back on terra firma. Tho that may have been a isolated incident, (that it happened once out of the hundreds battle I had so far in this game) the online matchmaking, changing characters after a match and navigating battle arena more intuitive are a big must. Personally tho I only played online once and with friends, I hardly experience any lag or at all. Could be a different story with randoms but if there can only so much to work on, peer-to-peer can be left for another time but the rest to do immediately.

FULL ROSTER UNLOCKED MYSELF just a few moments ago.

*All I need are Mii Fighters....

Thoughts as of this post about some stuff I felt tonight....

SBU has made Ganon and Marth feel as good as Melee!  I am putting them back into my rotation.  The punch of Ganon, with some actual speed and mobility to go with it is great.

Chrom does feel like Marth + Ike.  I gotta play with him more to see how he truly feels with me playing him but I kind of favor him a little more than Ike but less than Marth at the moment.

Snake is still a odd one for me to play.  I don't hate him, I don't love him either....  Probably need more PT with him to grasp him better.

Bowser Jr. felt pretty solid.

Toon Link is back in the house!

* FWIW, to earn him tonight, I chose Young Link and went Dark colors (or like Shadow Link if you will) and my winning hit was epic sword slash!  Felt just like I was playing the Zelda 2 final boss as Toon Link was in full color fighting his clone in black shadow.

Cloud felt pretty good.  I swear they altered his outfits a little.

Probably going to do a few rounds with Dark Samus, Inceniroar, and Wolf to see how the feel.  I must say that in playing encounters with with Inceniroar and Wolf they seemed to move fast as hell.

After getting a lot more practice I can definitely do much better in the game. Got 9.9 cleared with Dark Samus!

...Man D+Samus feel like trash right now. I can't kill with dtilt, I can't kill with Dsmash, I can't reliably kill with Nair, and I feel like the sweet spot for Dair is even smaller than ever. Can't pull off spikes for crap. If they have a balance change I really hope they keep them in mind. Basically spamming charge shot and up tilt hoping for the best at around 120%...

If anyone has a hard time with World of Light there's at least two spirits that give you CONSTANT super armor: Ice Climbers Polar Bear and Fire Emblem Walhart. It slows you down, but it's worth it being nigh invincible for the first 100%. I slapped on Walhart and Victini for Hyper Smash and have unfortunately trivialized the whole mode. Basically two side smashes to end each match unless it's 4* or a particularly weird 3*

Pro tip: buy Fire Flower and Super Mushroom from Timmy + Tommy's shop when they appear. Combine Fire Flower, Super Mushroom, and Metal Mario in the Summon menu to unlock Golden Mario which gives you Super Armor with NO PENALTY. Takes up 3 slots though!

Edited by Carl321

@Carl321 It's not just you--the entire roster has been nerfed. Everyone's grabs, combos,  and unique gimmicks have been toned down. Along with the faster attacks, this makes the roster feel a lot more same-y, probably to control for how big it's getting. In addition, all attacks which moves your fighter have been nerfed--if you want to ,pve, the developers want you to do so using their new mechanics.

Compared to Smash 4, skill is based on knowing technical mechanics more than knowing your character. And the fighting is much more predictive than it was about reading and reacting, which just isn't possible at these speeds.

I’m mostly happy with my favorites, but feel for mains of some other characters. Didn’t like how different Wolf was from Brawl initially, losing like the f-smash he originally had, but still pretty good. Other things like the buff range Mewtwo got with its disable was a nice surprise too. Ridley’s shaping up to be a decent fighter for me with more of his techs and strategies that are being discovered by the day, despite the disadvantages he has in some situations.

Mostly using either Snake or Bowser in WoL so far.

9 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Dumb question, but how do I "enhance" a Spirit once it hits level 99?

Is it through some shop in WoL that I just haven't found yet?

There's no shop for it, just go to the Manage Spirits menu (as if you were feeding them snacks) and select the Spirit, it should prompt you to enhance it. Also I assume you know but just for clarification, not all Spirits can be enhanced—only the ones specifically labeled as such can be enhanced.

1 hour ago, Carl321 said:

I've been having a MUCH better time with Peach, Kirby, and Captain Falcon than I have with my main Samus. It's kinda depressing. Bowser's an absolute beast, too.

I'm calling it--the top characters from Melee are intentionally being made top tier again for Ultimate. The game's already pandering to competitive Melee players.