Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Just now, Eliwood8 said:

Jeez World of Light is even bigger than I was expecting. Seeing the number of hours I've put into it so far after having only unlocked 18 fighters is kind of daunting.

Also I love how often a new challenger appears and I think "oh man I forgot they were in the game!" It really does make it exciting every time a new one appears.

Agreed, I thought with 73 fighters I would have met more by now.  And its getting addicting to finish an area before moving on but then you find side path that leads to new area and gotta clear that too but thrres that other thing to do too........

One of the biggest problems I had with Sm4sh was the lack of a "main" single-player mode to prepare myself for versus, meaning that the only way to learn the game's new physics was to get my ass kicked by other players.

While World of Light does have a lot of crazy shit going on that wouldn't fly in tournaments, it does a much better job of teaching you the game's mechanics within the confines of a safe singleplayer environment.

31 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

One of the biggest problems I had with Sm4sh was the lack of a "main" single-player mode to prepare myself for versus, meaning that the only way to learn the game's new physics was to get my ass kicked by other players.

While World of Light does have a lot of crazy shit going on that wouldn't fly in tournaments, it does a much better job of teaching you the game's mechanics within the confines of a safe singleplayer environment.

World of Light has less bullshit than Classic and All-Star in Smash 4.

I never realized how much more tolerable single-player Smash modes are with Stage Hazards Off.

14 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Hmm, okay there's the type advantage and spirit strengths. Depending if both of these factors are not in favors you'll have trouble fighting a spirit. If you only have one is in your favor, you have marginal chance beating the spirit.

Does that explains it better now.

Still nope.

I know there are numerical attack and defense values, which add up to a total rating that tells you the power of a Spirit/team. Higher numbers mean you deal more damage and knockback.

But what does the advantage/disadvantage triangle do?

Like, if you have an advantage, does it do something like increase your stats by 20% during the battle? Or is it a strictly casual suggestion, saying something like, "this enemy uses Attack-based effects, so you might have an easier time if you look through your Defense-based effects," as in just general matchup advice?

45 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

I'm actually wondering how much World of Light might inadvertently be training me "wrong" by getting me used to special effects that won't be in place while playing normally, especially the skills menu that includes some pretty valuable stat boosts. To be fair I don't think it's actually had any effect on my experience with normal matches so far, it's just something I'm thinking about, and really I agree that WoL has been a great extended training system in these early days of the game.

31 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

World of Light has less bullshit than Classic and All-Star in Smash 4.

I never realized how much more tolerable single-player Smash modes are with Stage Hazards Off.

Still nope.

I know there are numerical attack and defense values, which add up to a total rating that tells you the power of a Spirit/team. Higher numbers mean you deal more damage and knockback.

But what does the advantage/disadvantage triangle do?

Like, if you have an advantage, does it do something like increase your stats by 20% during the battle? Or is it a strictly casual suggestion, saying something like, "this enemy uses Attack-based effects, so you might have an easier time if you look through your Defense-based effects," as in just general matchup advice?

Basically the latter. You get no bonus, that I'm aware of. They mention numerical value and type advantage in the November direct. Back then it went over my head but it is something you must experience to get it. It's not that hard to wrap your head but I can see why explaining it can be difficult in what is the difference if I have the type advantage or have a lower/higher spirit power.

I think you mentioned earlier or is a guess on my part that did not take heed to type disadvantage message, it's like you said its's just suggestion, it's up to you if want to heed or just go ahead regardless of type advantage or spirit power strength.

Hope that helps now.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

I couldn't help but notice that the Mii Fighters aren't selectable for Classic Mode.

Does that mean the DLC characters won't have their own Classic Modes, either?

I don't think that will be the case. The DLC with Sm4sh tho they did not have custom moves like the base roster, they did have some functionality of some changes to the classic mode them. I don't see why they wouldn't continue that. That is different than expecting Snake codec cover the rest of the fighters beyond Brawl, tho they completed it for Palutena Guidance.

I think it's best stick to what we know as in Sm4sh and not assume they'll do anything less or more of what was in that game, in terms of content.

Apparently, the only hunters from MPH made into spirits are Kanden and Trace. That's disappointing, but interesting to see that preference. He didn't include either MPH's or MP3:C's fan favorite hunter. Aside from Ridley, it seems like this game went halfway with Metroid. I'm still interested in eventually getting those two hunters though.

Did find it interesting although random that Gandrayda was the one given a spirit out of the MP3 hunters, but yeah, could've been more still with both games' hunters, but still happy for any MP3 stuff considering the very short end of the stick it got when it came to trophies earlier on..

Sylux not having a spirit is at least boding well for the fans that are DLC hoping, though after the first DLC character that was just shown prior to the game's launch, I'm not sure what all to really expect.

I played in a Battle Arena with a buddy of mine and a few of his friends. Used the Nintendo Switch app. The chat during the battle is pretty cool. You can see who is chatting and it seems to be in sync with the game which was a worry of mine. However whenever I started a new match my app would crash and I would have to reopen it when the match started, thus my focus was on my phone and not the screen and people got free shots off at me. I also wanted the options to add people I was talking to through the Nintendo Switch app by clicking on them. Only option they give is to block them. Someone from the group of fighters did add me thanks to the Switch having the option to add recent players you battled against. However riddle me this. This newly added friend, who I have no idea who he is in person wants to play me in Smash, or invite me to an arena battle. How does that happen? It doesn't. Just have to keep checking to see if they are currently hosting battle arenas at the time or not. Meh.

7 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I don't know if anyone got this but posting this here. Came today.

Hide contents

T4cgdpX.jpg

One of the best looking Pros they have released.  I got mine with the CE Tin bundle.

Added a bunch of fighters to my roster tonight....

And thankfully, some of my mains: Pac Man, Dark Pit, R.O.B., and to a lesser extent finally got Duck Hunt.

But I gotta say getting punked by Pit 4x, Cloud 3x, Inceniroar 2x  on some bullshit at the end of matches with either a freeze fall **OR** they somehow manage to get their lick in for my death when we are both sitting at whoever lands the right blow is knocking the other out is getting highly annoying.  Still ticked that Ganon and Wolf are completely destroying me every match.  Only my last bouts with each felt somewhat competitive for me taking them down.  Fox is insanely fast...geez.  Ganon.... dat power.... dat sword....

I have not encountered Toon Link or Palutena yet at all.

So....

Peach vs. Daisy

Yeah, I am still feeling Daisy more...

Ken vs Ryu

Like both, feel good with both.....   But I gotta say Ken feels better for me if I had to weigh who I like more in terms of usage.  Also, my boy Ken has that sick purple gee.

Simon vs Richter

Richter is just feeling smoother to me.

So, with Pokemon Trainer, how do you keep a Poke as a permanent choice?  I actually do like all three Pokemon in the rotation but I would also like to have a whole match where I am just playing one or the other.... and I believe they said in that Smash Direct you could actually play as one for the entire match but I just haven't seen how to do that yet.

Edited by purple_beard