Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Man, every since I awakened Lucario in World of Light, I am breezing through all the challenges once I equip the rock, paper, scissor and have these supports with Lucario: boost aura attack and critical health attack. Those two supports working hand in hand turns Lucario into a monster. He already get strong with more percents but those supports just enhance his abilities like 4x and turns into such a terror.

For example, I equipped 900 spirit vs a spirit with 9900 and I won. Like damn that is broken or what?

3 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Man, every since I awakened Lucario in World of Light, I am breezing through all the challenges once I equip the rock, paper, scissor and have these supports with Lucario: boost aura attack and critical health attack. Those two supports working hand in hand turns Lucario into a monster. He already get strong with more percents but those supports just enhance his abilities like 4x and turns into such a terror.

For example, I equipped 900 spirit vs a spirit with 9900 and I won. Like damn that is broken or what?

Does the spirit-type triangle actually affect gameplay? I thought it was just a suggestion of what kinds of effects the player should be thinking about.

I've been cheesing just about everything with Villager.

1 minute ago, Destiny Hero said:

Does the spirit-type triangle actually affect gameplay? I thought it was just a suggestion of what kinds of effects the player should be thinking about.

I've been cheesing just about everything with Villager.

Yes and no. If the spirit you are facing is a few 100 spirit powers above you, you will have a definite type disadvantage.

Also, another thing noticed is that if you have two support spirits that give you the same ability you can stack them.

For example, you may run into a battle with high winds, if you have two of the same support spirit with wind resistance, you'll fare better with two than just one. Again depending on your overall spirit power all you may need is one but I can confirm you can stack similar powered support spirits.

1 minute ago, Destiny Hero said:

I don't get what you mean by this. Wouldn't that just be a general disadvantage in terms of relative attack strength? 100 is also a small gap.

This is tricky to explain. As you mentioned you'll be at disadvantage in terms of strength if your opponent is couple 100 in spirit strength, if you you're in type advantage. If you are not in type advantage plus down by few 100 in spirit. You won't only be in disadvantage in terms of strength but type disadvantage.

In conditions like that latter situation, you'll find it bit more difficult to combat spirits with type disadvantage and higher strength vs type advantage and higher strength.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

This is tricky to explain. As you mentioned you'll be at disadvantage in terms of strength if your opponent is couple 100 in spirit strength, if you you're in type advantage. If you are not in type advantage plus down by few 100 in spirit. You won't only be in disadvantage in terms of strength but type disadvantage.

In conditions like that latter situation, you'll find it bit more difficult to combat spirits with type disadvantage and higher strength vs type advantage and higher strength.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Uh... now this makes far less sense. I have no idea what you're saying.

11 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I can't unlock Ganondorf to save my life.

3 times he got me with either meteor down smash or down smash.

In a tournament yesterday I (Villager) was caught by Ganondorf's infamous Flame Choke and plunged down under the screen. I noticed the "offscreen" ring for my character was lingering for a moment instead of getting the KO, then I panicked and mashed recovery.

To summarize a very loud and chaotic room, it is now possible to escape from Ganoncide. Somehow. And in general, a nimble character with fast projectiles will make quick work of him.

Edited by Destiny Hero

My little brother got Trace as a spirit today, so to me, that confirms the representation that I really want to see in this game and I can't wait to come across one of those spirits. I'll have all of them maxed, and if they're supports, I'll run them with whatever my primary is. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're about in this game.

Unlocked quite a few fresh faces tonight and got some on the rebound.  Man....  the ones I have now lost too 2x is getting ridiculous on the BS of how the matches ended for me.  The absolute worst timing for myself and the perfect timing for the CP.

I got to say though, the graphics of this game are really impressing me alot.  The clean up and high resolution treatment to every stage here just makes it the most gorgeous presentation possible.  I am also loving the expressions on the fighters faces.

NEW NEW fighter impressions:

KKR: not bad.  Cool use of his abilities.  I don't think as of yet he will be a main of mine but definitely 2nd tier.

Richter:  I am liking him ALOT more than Simon for some reason.  I've also noticed you can shoot that holy water and it will block a projectile attack and still land and create its fire.  If you play your cards right you can hit your opponent twice, once with their blocked weapon and ones with the fire.  Also, with all of his weapons you can really play the angles game with platform leverage.

Simon:  I like him, but somehow after getting Richter I think Richter is better.

Daisy: Is it wrong that I think Daisy is superior to Peach for me?  Alo, I love her blue dress look even though its really hard for me to think Daisy without the orange.

Edited by purple_beard
30 minutes ago, IU said:

My little brother got Trace as a spirit today, so to me, that confirms the representation that I really want to see in this game and I can't wait to come across one of those spirits. I'll have all of them maxed, and if they're supports, I'll run them with whatever my primary is. I'm looking forward to seeing what they're about in this game.

Kanden was one of my first spirits, whose function grants resistance to electric attacks. Will try to make good use of it sometime.

17 hours ago, Carl321 said:

I don't really see any difference between Dark Samus and Samus. Kind of a bummer. Was hoping for *something* unique like meteor-smash morphball bombs. Man, I have a REALLY hard time getting KO's. I don't know if it's how the game works or if Samus's kill moves are just not particularly great. I'll have to wait for everyone to over analyze everything so I can learn proper KO %. I've noticed I get kills WAY easier with Captain Falcon who was always my secondary, so I hope my main isn't just broken. Just saw a tip on Reddit to put controller stick sensitivity to High. Will have to give that a shot.

her kill moves got nerfed save the charge beam which saw a buff, her usmash can't trap for shit and her dtilt and fsmash lost knockback too

you really only reliably have bair and charge beam to kill now, it's garbage

Played a few rounds at my friend's place tonight, placed 1st in the three 4-player/3-stock matches we played claiming victory with Ike, Captain Falcon, and Young Link

The physics definitely have a different feel to them. Also quite enjoy getting the slo-mo attack confirmations at high percents on the final stock. Actually got one with a leap-and-drift reverse Falcon Punch and maaaaaaaan was it clean.

Finally tried Classic Mode and Spirit Boards.  CM is a nice update to that mode, but not sure I like your forced to not go higher than 5 to begin with, and dont get to choose to stop it getting higher as you succeed.  

Spirit Board is interesting change from WoL with the spirits in barriers.  Reminds me of Metroid Fusion but in a good way. Though its still redundant at same time.

Question: Do amiibos get anything for fighting besides exp?  I dont see rewards popping up when I rescan after the match or am I just not looking in right place?