Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

So this is a downer for me but I think I know this is tho.

So for My Music in the past you used to be able to choose the frequency of how often music play on stage but that's not a thing anymore in Ultimate.

I guess because each franchise stage has all the music from the franchise and not select ones pertaining to the game in the franchise there's no need for frequency toggle.

WTF?!? I actually like that. How can Sakurai put in toggle for echo characters and take take away the frequency for music in My Music. You remove something you think lends itself to customizable nature of the Ultimate. I get but I think this something I may have to get used to.

The disrespect they still give Chrom in this game is real; why do they give Robin, Lucina, and Corrin their own fanfare victory but Chrom's is still the one we hear when Marth and Roy was in Melee?

Why couldn't they give Chrom the same fanfare as his daughter and his best friend, huh?

Played a couple of hours today and Marth was one of my first unlocks so I'm pretty happy about that, plus I've unlocked Inkling and I'm looking forward to practicing with her. So far I really need to remember to watch my ink—much easier to lose track of it in this game compared to Splatoon!

Also I wanted to ask, is the first spirit you get in World of Light random? I got Spectre Knight and just thought that'd be a random place to start (although I love Shovel Knight). Curious to see what everyone else's first spirit was, if they're different.

Somebody mentioned that they were having trouble with Kapp'n's spirit battle, with high winds and no swimming. Are you still stuck on this? I needed about ten tries, and can type up for you the "flowchart" I used to beat it. Pro tip: you can cheese a TON of these battles with Villager. For example, just after Kapp'n was a fight against a giant opponent with a hammer. I used projectiles to poke at him until he dropped the hammer, which I pocketed and used against him.

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

So this is a downer for me but I think I know this is tho.

So for My Music in the past you used to be able to choose the frequency of how often music play on stage but that's not a thing anymore in Ultimate.

I guess because each franchise stage has all the music from the franchise and not select ones pertaining to the game in the franchise there's no need for frequency toggle.

WTF?!? I actually like that. How can Sakurai put in toggle for echo characters and take take away the frequency for music in My Music. You remove something you think lends itself to customizable nature of the Ultimate. I get but I think this something I may have to get used to.

I'm with you on that. I really, REALLY hope they add My Music in an early update, along with an option to select stages second. Or even to clean up the stage select screen by letting us remove all the trash stages. It's sad that the Smash team put so much effort into bringing back all of these stages, when the majority of them will never be touched. Nobody wnts to play on Hanenbow.

1 hour ago, Eliwood8 said:

Played a couple of hours today and Marth was one of my first unlocks so I'm pretty happy about that, plus I've unlocked Inkling and I'm looking forward to practicing with her. So far I really need to remember to watch my ink—much easier to lose track of it in this game compared to Splatoon!

Also I wanted to ask, is the first spirit you get in World of Light random? I got Spectre Knight and just thought that'd be a random place to start (although I love Shovel Knight). Curious to see what everyone else's first spirit was, if they're different.

Everyone gets a random spirit when they first start up the game. Mine was Magnus.

1 minute ago, Destiny Hero said:

Somebody mentioned that they were having trouble with Kapp'n's spirit battle, with high winds and no swimming. Are you still stuck on this? I needed about ten tries, and can type up for you the "flowchart" I used to beat it. Pro tip: you can cheese a TON of these battles with Villager. For example, just after Kapp'n was a fight against a giant opponent with a hammer. I used projectiles to poke at him until he dropped the hammer, which I pocketed and used against him.

I'm with you on that. I really, REALLY hope they add My Music in an early update, along with an option to select stages second. Or even to clean up the stage select screen by letting us remove all the trash stages. It's sad that the Smash team put so much effort into bringing back all of these stages, when the majority of them will never be touched. Nobody wnts to play on Hanenbow.

Everyone gets a random spirit when they first start up the game. Mine was Magnus.

I think I'm getting used to select stage first. Same with the rules you set before that.

I've come to realize I play Smash 3 different way depending if I'm alone or with others. Once you get that setup, I think you'll find the stage select first not that bad.

Also when it comes to music frequency selection, there's temporary fix for that when selecting the stage, choose the song you want to hear when going to that stage. But like I said that is temporary because. You gotta do this everytime you want to listen particular song. This could be remedied with frequency toggle. For example the coliseum, the song Lost in thought alone, back on Wii U had that set to play often. Now all you can do is select it once and if want different song, you gotta go back. How is that any fun?!? I don't care that all FE stages play all the song from the franchise put a fucking toggle in there. You did it for hazards, you give us on feature and to balance it or something you take music frequency away.

43 minutes ago, luca said:

my music is in the options bar on the right in sounds, you pillocks

Thanks.

I think the reason I didn't go there or forgot is that you can also access My Music from the stage selection screen as back on Wii U in additions to option. I'm sure I'm not mistaken with this.

Why else would I just go from stage select since that is place you'd more often go than option. I still say they patch My Music from stage select as well, IMO. Just to make convenient, again, why was this dropped and wouldn't of wondered to stage select for this first?

Got a few hours in tonight and last night. Mainly been doing Classic Mode. I like the way it is set up. It's kind of short but straight to the point. I like the intensity thing and the portrait, but boy is it a challenge for me to get up to 9.9 intensity. 

The level with the wormhole could have been designed better. At first I was hyped at it but after a few times through it is very repetitive. I usually just skip towards the end without collecting anything. 

The end credits blasting game is pretty fun to.

I think this was brought up before here with new challengers being hard. To me I don't think they are that hard but I was caught of guard with WFT I was trying parry one her attack when she knock me out.

When I won against the next challenger,  I see where you can face off who you loss initially too. I think that is nifty feature, revenge style. I can't recall if this was always in Smash but never had name for it. Well her in Ultimate is called Challenger's Approach.

AMIIBO USAGE UPDATE:

NO character unlocks via scanning.

Carries over data and specs from Smash4 use but will reset your fighter down to L12 if you choose to.  Otherwise it will keep the name and clean slate them.

NON-SMASH FIGHTER AMIIBO:  do score you spirits, cash, and other goodies

--So non fighters like Poochy, Waluigi, Boo, ect...

SMASH CHARACTER AMIIBO but not from Smash Line of Amiibo: Counts as a FP fighter of that Character.

*Unable to confirm tonight if Mega Yarn Yoshi counts as a Yoshi or not

*Unable to confirm tonight if MM Link from Zelda series comes up as either Toon Link or Young Link.

--Daisy, DK, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Wario / Mario; Chrom / FE

--Will do the Wedding Party tomorrow from SMO tomorrow.

--Not gonna open my BotWs

--Modern and Classic Mario from the 30th Anniversary Marios count as Mario.

--Not gonna open my Zelda Anniversary ones.

You can use an amiibo of a non-Unlocked character to earn stuff for their amiibo in a FP battle, but even if you do, you will not get them as a character unlock on the Character selection screen.

also bummed that in 2018 the year of our lord i feel like samus actually got worse lmao

her multi-hit attacks are easier to di out of and suck more at trapping people and she's harder to combo with in general, and it feels like they pulled power out of her smash and tilts to put more KO power into her charge beam

christ she feels terrible, dark samus feels a bit better at least

Another thing I noticed with My Music back on Wii U you could could which Smash version music to play in the menus. It is absent here, unless I'm mistaken here. So all you'll hear everytime is battlefield for Ultimate. It's nice but I want to hear other Ultimate songs and other Smash menu songs from the past.

This is seems like obvious omission, I don't think that is coming back but they definitely need to put My Music back on the stage select screen, that's doable and reasonable.

I love the way Classic Mode is personalized for each character. I've only done a few so far but Ryu's Street Fighter inspired battles are hilarious, and I was excited to see Rathalos is the final boss for Marth, because after playing so much of Monster Hunter the fight was super easy for me.

I love the Stage Morph feature. I don't think it's there, but I'm going to have to check for an option to select more than 2 stages. I was playing what felt like my own mini-adventure selecting a specific series' stages and picking a respective rep, i.e. Mario shifting between Galaxy and New Donk or Samus between Brinstar and Norfair.

11 minutes ago, IU said:

I love the Stage Morph feature. I don't think it's there, but I'm going to have to check for an option to select more than 2 stages. I was playing what felt like my own mini-adventure selecting a specific series' stages and picking a respective rep, i.e. Mario shifting between Galaxy and New Donk or Samus between Brinstar and Norfair.

When it hit x to edit rule you name or a preset rule set, scroll down to the dropdown menu advance and you see stage morph.

That's all I'm playing on since I got this game. I can't how I ever Iived without it but it's great feature. I have set to change between two stages I choose every 2 minutes.

I should try random or is it called autopick so I never know what stage it will turn to for some challenge.

Just started playing earlier today and put a couple of hours into World of Light and man some of these events are crazy.  In the beginning, I took the right route and was so far smooth sailing but did hit a couple of hard events especially one where I was fighting a Giant Zelda who was handing my butt to me multiple times as C. Falcon so I decided to roll with Lucario on that and managed to get her finally.