Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

So, in case you missed it, yesterday Grasshopper Manufacture formally announced that Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is getting a physical release and season pass. More notable than that is the company publishing said physical release: Nintendo. 

Do we think that has chance on Travis Touchdown's potential as a DLC character? 

There obviously is a good relationship between Suda 51 and Nintendo- he even was featured during the Switch Reveal Conference in January 2017- so I'm thinking Travis is at least a possibility. 

This is why I was confused with the ownership of Travis Touchdown and Nintendo. Yes, his previous games have release on different plaforms but it's start and where the series lover by the creator, always been with Nintendo.

I have to agree with Ty as much as the relationship is there, the DLC confirmation sounds like all decisions made are within Nintendo. So I wonder with this is Geno possible even with the Square connection. Banjo seems really unlikely.

1 hour ago, blcdude1 said:

Is the opinion that Sakurai's tweet meant Nintendo only selected Nintendo characters as DLC? 

I hadn't read it that way; but am in the minority on that? 

Nah, I read it as meaning it could still include third party characters, just that Nintendo had already chosen who the characters were. 

3 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

So, in case you missed it, yesterday Grasshopper Manufacture formally announced that Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is getting a physical release and season pass. More notable than that is the company publishing said physical release: Nintendo. 

Do we think that has chance on Travis Touchdown's potential as a DLC character? 

There obviously is a good relationship between Suda 51 and Nintendo- he even was featured during the Switch Reveal Conference in January 2017- so I'm thinking Travis is at least a possibility. 

3 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Suda himself has repeatedly said that he would love to see Travis in Smash.

But the syntax of Sakurai's DLC tweet is leading me to believe that it won't happen.

I personally wouldn't have beef with him considering his specific games series tenure with Nintendo systems.  What would be his move set?  Doesn't have a sword and use guns?  I think his games could make for an interesting stage choice.

6 hours ago, blcdude1 said:

Is the opinion that Sakurai's tweet meant Nintendo only selected Nintendo characters as DLC? 

I hadn't read it that way; but am in the minority on that? 

Same here; I don't think the tweet rules out third party characters, only that the choices are locked in right now and there's not going to be another ballot or anything like that. Sakurai probably also hopes to mitigate at least some of the endless requests I'm sure he/Nintendo receive from players for putting specific characters in.

4 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I personally wouldn't have beef with him considering his specific games series tenure with Nintendo systems.  What would be his move set?  Doesn't have a sword and use guns?  I think his games could make for an interesting stage choice.

No firearms, just different types of beam katanas and also has hand to hand skills centered around wrestling/grappling techniques.