Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Super quick impressions:

Props to the guy from GX proposing Ken and Inceneroar(sp?)  would get intro'd via Lil Mac in the boxing ring....

--Also, that intro was legit as hell.... LOVED IT.

Ken was an easy choice and I like a lot of his moves

Inceneroar looked damn sweet and its cool he gets some wrestling moves.

Pirahna Plant as a fighter is about as WTF as you can get but I dig it.

--Loved that move set.

Spirits/upgrade mode

--looked more interesting than how it worked in prior games.

No new stages announced?

The message on DLC pretty much states that no less than 5 more characters, 5 more stages, and __ amount of music tracks will come to be over the next year.

--I wonder who the 5 might be?

--Season Pass is about a $6 savings from buying each separately.

--$6 for a stage, a fighter, and multiple music tracks doesn't sound to crazy with the Smash Tax.

The only real bummer for me was no new stages actually shown.  I would have figured we would have gotten a few more.

*Yeah, I know they did a lot of reworking to 64, Melee, Brawl, 4/4DS stages up to par for the Switch and that in and of itself is a LOT of stages but I think they have enough new stuff for more new states.

I'm kind of fine with how many new characters they dropped.  Would I have liked more?  Yes, but I think this was a solid amount. for a starter pack.  And with all the upgrade possibilities and what not it will take a while to work through all of that.

2 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I know there's a lot of flak about Piranha Plant being a "WTF" reveal, but I felt the exact same way when Duck Hunt was revealed. And I loved playing him.

But, ya know, both had good move sets and were fun to play as.  I think Duck Hunt might have caught flak because because the pair is kind of like a Banjo and Kazooie pair but ....  

I have no issue with Piranha Plant as a playable figuter.

My only concern is that now that Sakurai has let the cat out of the bag, we'll now be seeing tons of shitpost requests for things like a Goomba, a Metroid, or a Rook Arachno becoming playable.

At least Bandanna Waddle Dee had some basis in canon.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

But, ya know, both had good move sets and were fun to play as.  I think Duck Hunt might have caught flak because because the pair is kind of like a Banjo and Kazooie pair but ....  

The problem with the Duck Hunt dog is that it's a dog that laughs like a man.

1 hour ago, blcdude1 said:

Wii Fit Trainer remains the biggest WTF for me. 

And the problem with Wii Fit Trainer is that she's a joke. I say this as a Wii Fit main. Her concept and design are great, and she adds so much Nintendo magic to Smash Bros--the only jarring aspect is that her games aren't made for gamers. But when it comes to the actual programming of her moves she's flaming hot garbage. The dev team didn't give her a chance. She's got so many unique gimmicks, but they're all laughably underpowered. Ultimate doesn't seem to have fixed her moveset, but even the Yoshi/Falcon treatment of buffing everything won't help because all of her options are just fundamentally bad.

She's the Pichu of Smash 4. A joke character who fits perfectly into the roster, but is intentionally made to be nearly unplayable. Piranha Plant is Ultimate's joke, but since that's eventually going behind a paywell they're going to take it seriously.

5 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

So I guess the Grinch leak was an elaborate ruse, and those who fully got on board with believing or expecting it set themselves up for disappointment and are having meltdowns now. Another typical day of Smash speculation armageddon...

That aside, I am glad to see Incineroar, but some like Isaac got it dirty, though Dixie Kong I kinda lament the most at the moment. After K. Rool's addition, seemed like she ought to have been an echo fighter at least. Glad DLC is already confirmed though, even if it's doing the shady fighter pass thing where you don't know all of what you're paying for yet. The new adventure/story mode looks okay for a Subspace 2 or something, though not expecting much other than that you can unlock most or all of the characters from it.

And I guess if there had to be one more random wtf addition, Piranha Plant seems like a fun choice.

Yep which sucks. Assist trophy... wtf! Not angry, but just very disappointed. Glad that there's far other characters to use, but he kind of got screwed over.

Edited by Doc Brown
2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

I have no issue with Piranha Plant as a playable figuter.

My only concern is that now that Sakurai has let the cat out of the bag, we'll now be seeing tons of shitpost requests for things like a Goomba, a Metroid, or a Rook Arachno becoming playable.

At least Bandanna Waddle Dee had some basis in canon.

I feel ashamed for not making that joke right away.

43 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yep which sucks. Assist trophy... wtf! Not angry, but just very disappointed. Glad that there's far other characters to use, but he kind of got screwed over.

Yep. I also lament no more collectable trophies. The stickers/spirits will be there at least, but no trophies will make 100% completion feel kinda more hollow now. I figured they had to cut some corners with Ultimate, but damn.

WTF is this noise?!?

Like the wild battle theme fro S&M wasn't that good in the first place to me but this is much worse. Like what is this pre-school rock garbage.

Funny thing the battle theme in US&UM actually improves from the base game (just a little) and we're treated with this in Smash Ultimate.

@Tyranogre um...

well okay then. We don't know about Ike because Priam is not confirmed to be his descendant, and either way his canonicity is dubious at best, as Awakening's other Xenologues are non-canon.

I don't think we have any confirmation of any Link having had children. The spirit of the hero isn't inherited like that of the goddess, and while all Links look very similar, there's a strong argument that their physical features and their names are not actually canon.

Ganondorf gets action because there's only one male Gerudo at a time.

Do I even want to know about Captain Falcon, Inkling, and Fox?

3 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Do I even want to know about Captain Falcon, Inkling, and Fox?

I'll answer the Captain Falcon one. 

There was a game called F-Zero Maximum Velocity on the GBA, which took place 25 years after F-Zero. One of the playable characters, Kent Akechi, claims to be the son of Captain Falcon. I'd note this is a claim; this wasn't show to be true or false in the game.