Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Huh, watch this video made realized why Pokefloats is coming back but brings up another avenue where it might come back as DLC, if possible.

I was so focused on DLC characters that I forgot there was DLC for stages in Sm4sh. The thing is I don't want pay for it even if it is worth it. I want it in the game day one, damn competitive smasher and stage morph. I just want pokefloats, dammit! >.<

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

[Missing Stages Video]

Huh, watch this video made realized why Pokefloats is coming back but brings up another avenue where it might come back as DLC, if possible.

I was so focused on DLC characters that I forgot there was DLC for stages in Sm4sh. The thing is I don't want pay for it even if it is worth it. I want it in the game day one, damn competitive smasher and stage morph. I just want pokefloats, dammit! >.<

Some of the stages they mentioned (Planet Zebes & Sector Z from 64, Mute City from Melee and Flat Zone 2 from Brawl they didn't mention the original Flat Zone from Melee) made sense because of similar or upgraded versions of the stages from the sequels being included. That being Brinstar & Corneria in Melee, Port Town Aero Dive in Brawl and Flat Zone X in Wii U.

In the video, they kept focusing on the Stage Morph feature being a reason why a bunch of stages were most likely not returning. I could see that being a reason for Jungle Hijinx because of the background fighting but not for Pac-Maze or Wooly World. They hated on Pac-Land so much that it contradicted the Stage Morph theory with those two stages with a bunch of side scrolling stages confirmed in Mushroomy Kingdom, Rainbow Cruise, Spirit Train, etc. Their theory on why "Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road" being excluded being either Stage Morphing (debunked because of similar stages in Ultimate) or the track being a Spoiler for people that either didn't play 7 or haven't reached the Special Cup. Not sure why that's a problem now considering they added Fiora to Shulk's Final Smash.

The only tough stage I could see getting in the base game is Orbital Gate since it took them a year to develop that stage in Wii U and it was only 8 player in the Omega form. Most likely the same reasons for Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls 8 player wise though I'd like to see either one of those or a new vertical scrolling stage for 8 player carnage. As for Poke Floats, I see it being completely possible (didn't know it was a meme) but I'd actually like to see an updated version with Pokemon from every generation.

Yeah, I noticed their focus on stage morphing that I didn't see it contradiction Pac-Land for similar stages like that made it fine. I was so focused on the reason why Pokefloats isn't that I didn't catch that. I just and I think most want Pokefloats in Ultimate.

My username is among the many names listed on said thank you card for being part of K. Rool's support group. Feels vindicating af now for having been part of something like that... The Ridley support group did a thank you tweet to Sakurai with some cool art, tho wasn't anything to that level.

It makes sense though for K. Rool fans to give the biggest thank you, because there's also the character revival aspect of it, while guys like Sonic and Ridley got in Smash solely through fan demand, but were still around otherwise. For the Kremling King it's also about having a character that was neglected in his own series finally come back. Sakurai deserves as much praise for it as it will eventually but inevitably lead to K. Rool appearing in DKC again.

Was there ever a reason given for K.Rool or the Kremlings not appearing in the return of the DKC games?  I just assumed it was Retro wanting to have creative liberty with it but I don't think there was any legal or personal reasons for it.

That aside, it's cool to see the community come together like that and I think it's something that has happened multiple times in support of Sakurai's work on the Smash series.

7 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Was there ever a reason given for K.Rool or the Kremlings not appearing in the return of the DKC games?  I just assumed it was Retro wanting to have creative liberty with it but I don't think there was any legal or personal reasons for it.

That aside, it's cool to see the community come together like that and I think it's something that has happened multiple times in support of Sakurai's work on the Smash series.

There's actually some unused concept art for Dong Returns featuring K. Rool as a voodoo witch doctor:

z4IxYEq.jpg

They could have brought him back, but chose not to for unknown reasons.

5 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

There's actually some unused concept art for Dong Returns featuring K. Rool as a voodoo witch doctor:

They could have brought him back, but chose not to for unknown reasons.

I actually had no idea about this. :o

If they ever do attempt another DK game it would be great to see the Kremlings return.  Though I do wonder how a K.Rool. reveal would look considering how many people didn't like the Andross twist in Star Fox Adventures or the Ganondorf twist in Twilight Princess.

37 minutes ago, Kezay said:

IIRC, it was Tanabe who wanted to have new enemies, and Retro just had to follow suit with it. I don't think there was ever an actual or public reason given though as to why K. Rool stopped being used, so it kinda goes into speculation or conspiracy theory territory.

I liked Fredrik, or fat walrus K. Rool who was the final boss of Tropical Freeze, but with the theme of the snowmads, I guess they felt it made sense not to use K. Rool himself there, but as for why he was cut from DKCR is anyone's guess.

24 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I actually had no idea about this. :o

If they ever do attempt another DK game it would be great to see the Kremlings return.  Though I do wonder how a K.Rool. reveal would look considering how many people didn't like the Andross twist in Star Fox Adventures or the Ganondorf twist in Twilight Princess.

Don't make K. Rool a twist or someone a red herring for him then... I agree with those who didn't like the Andross twist for Adventures though. General Scales was perfect waste of a good character design.

Yeah. :\

And sorry to be "that guy", but after posting the above image art of voodoo/witch doctor K. Rool in DKCR somewhere and asking where the source was from, found out it was fake/fan-made. Tanabe told Retro not to use Kremlings kinda early on as mentioned, so I doubt there was any actual concept artwork for K. Rool... much as I like what you posted.

It's okay though, because thanks to Smash, Nintendo is stuck with K. Rool now, whether Miyamoto and Tanabe like it or not. awesome;

22 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

IIRC, it was Tanabe who wanted to have new enemies, and Retro just had to follow suit with it. I don't think there was ever an actual or public reason given though as to why K. Rool stopped being used, so it kinda goes into speculation or conspiracy theory territory.

I liked Fredrik, or fat walrus K. Rool who was the final boss of Tropical Freeze, but with the theme of the snowmads, I guess they felt it made sense not to use K. Rool himself there, but as for why he was cut from DKCR is anyone's guess.

Don't make K. Rool a twist or someone a red herring for him then... I agree with those who didn't like the Andross twist for Adventures though. General Scales was perfect waste of a good character design.

Just curious cause I know I hadn't read one way or the other about why Kremlings weren't being used in any kind of official capacity.  But one thing I didn't know is that K.Rool was used in a few games of the side games for a while pre-DKC Returns.

Yeah, they allowed him for spinoffs during that weird transition era DKC had in between the Rare buyout and being revived by Retro, which is why it's kinda odd he suddenly wasn't allowed back when there was a return to form game, no matter how ya slice it.

I never bought the whole "DK needed a fresh new spin of enemies" angle when corporate villain Bowser and his ilk were still overused for Mario and never went anywhere, etc, but that's just me.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Amiibos mught just unlock fighters automatically with a scan in.

Update wrap up.

I can't recall if Villager's bag tactic was brought up in the original direct with the slot chart at the bottom.

I do think the character models do look better.

I'm in agreement that Duck Hunt was/is a pretty decent option once you learn him.

I have to say though, and I can pin point why, but I play better as Dark Pit than regular Pit.

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Amiibos mught just unlock fighters automatically with a scan in

Update wrap up.

I can't recall if Villager's bag tactic was brought up in the original direct with the slot chart at the bottom.

I do think the character models do look better.

I'm in agreement that Duck Hunt was/is a pretty decent option once you learn him.

I have to say though, and I can pin point why, but I play better as Dark Pit than regular Pit.

That's another way to give functionality to the amiibo especially for people who already plan on getting them.

Anyway, I think the character models look better too but I don't think it would have been an issue if they shared parity with the ones from Wii U considering those looked really good too.  It's not like it's a night and day difference or anything.

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

I feel a little funny in my pants right now.awesome;

* per GX, it is black and white as the finish.  Hmmmm white on the grips.....  better make sure people wear gloves or wash their hands before playing ;)

I'll probably cancel my plain game order ...

...Cause that Pro, Steelbox, and what not....

fresh-oh-yeah-kool-aid-meme-kool-aid-man

Edited by purple_beard