Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

29 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I can definitely see Ken being an echo fighter for Ryu.  Really, in terms of moves they would haven't to do much in terms of modification outside of turning the dragon punch into a flaming one.  Change up his mannerisms and animation a bit and it would be a quick addition.  I wouldn't mind another unique SF character though but it might take away from the addition of a unique Capcom rep that has yet to be represented.  But even so!

Final Fantasy wise though, I'm sure they could give an echo fighter based on Cloud but I'd prefer another unique character.  Or if not maybe another Square Enix representative.

While I could see Ken as an Echo Fighter as well, I meant to suggest that I'd like to see a Street Fighter or Final Fantasy Assist Trophy. The other third party series get Assist Trophy representation, but I don't think we've seen any Street Fighter or Final Fantasy Assist Trophies yet.

I thought I would be more upset with Dark Samus as an echo fighter than I am. Dark Samus was a character I thought would be better as its own, since it's not a straight clone of Samus. They did enough animation-wise for me not to be upset about it. I think the only bad thing about Dark Samus being included now is that Metroid fans will begin to speculate that the inclusion hints at its return in Prime 4. Within Ultimate though, I'm looking forward to playing as Dark Samus and I'm loving that Sakurai is putting more villains into the roster. I think a Subspace-like single player mode would work better now with the inclusion of Ridley, Dark Samus and now King K. Rool.

12 minutes ago, IU said:

I think Chrom is the first FE character I'm excited to play as in Smash, probably because this is the first inclusion I actually am a little familiar with.

Interesting, you think it would be Marth cause he been around the longest that doesn't necessarily mean one is most familiar with but Chrom, huh?

5 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

DkGziPrX4AImpJJ?format=jpg

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that every single character is going to have a unique animation for angrily being driven away in Kapp'ns bus?

It's look like Mario is saying, 'where da fuck am I going?'

Also I think it should also be appreciated that they were finally able to fully incorporate Ditto as a Pokéball Pokémon fully in Ultimate (since being scrapped in Melee) honestly, that’s pretty damn cool

Also looks like Special Smash is returning from Brawl - that’s pretty cool, actually- I liked messing around with it in Brawl (I don’t recall it being in Wii U - I know it wasn’t in 3DS, if remembering correctly)

Should be more fun with now having 60+ characters to choose from....

Edited by Shadow118
16 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Interesting, you think it would be Marth cause he been around the longest that doesn't necessarily mean one is most familiar with but Chrom, huh?

Marth was included first back in Melee, so I had no idea who he was to get excited about him. Chrom is the first one I'll know a bit about before getting the chance to play as him.

Personally, I never played FE till Awakening but it wasn't at launch. It was like 2 years later I picked it up.

So I can relate with the lack of background of these characters but I never really like or played most or all characters till Corrin and a slight exception to Lucina and slightier to Roy.

1 hour ago, Eliwood8 said:

What about Lucina and Robin? All three are from the same game.

I know that they were all from Awakening, but I've never played a FE game. I wasn't willing to really read up on Lucina and Robin at their reveal. There seemed to be a bigger reaction to Chrom's exclusion, so my interest was more towards that character at the time. I think FE Warriors and #FE also played up Chrom, the former showing him in its reveal first, so he has seemed the most notable modern FE character.

6 hours ago, IU said:

I thought I would be more upset with Dark Samus as an echo fighter than I am. Dark Samus was a character I thought would be better as its own, since it's not a straight clone of Samus. They did enough animation-wise for me not to be upset about it. I think the only bad thing about Dark Samus being included now is that Metroid fans will begin to speculate that the inclusion hints at its return in Prime 4. Within Ultimate though, I'm looking forward to playing as Dark Samus and I'm loving that Sakurai is putting more villains into the roster. I think a Subspace-like single player mode would work better now with the inclusion of Ridley, Dark Samus and now King K. Rool.

While I don't think Dark Samus' status in Smash will change Tanabe's mind on being done with her in the Prime sub-series, it will at least be interesting to see what content her amiibo could provide for Prime 4 or anything in the future. I could see a Dark Samus amiibo unlocking a bonus harder mode, like what the Metroid amiibo unlocked for Samus Returns, but who knows.

Not sure about anyone else, but me wanting Dark Samus in Smash again was mainly due to the initial distaste of Dark Pit's inclusion and how little effort I felt there was with him, and to prove that Dark Samus would be a better & more unique doppelganger from a moveset perspective, and sure enough, she turned out to be, despite some of the similarities she shares with Samus due to her echo fighter status, but gotta take what you can get.

Now K. Rool, his resurgence to fame with Smash will cement a return for the next mainline DK games. Nintendo won't bury him again with the level of popularity that finally brought him back. Dark Samus will at least get to live on within Smash despite being dead canonically, which I like to think most fans of her would be happy enough with; still being around, but not overstaying her welcome.

But ya know, if there's one character I wouldn't mind returning to Metroid or Prime 4 as a probably indirect result of appearing in Smash (again), it's Kraid. With the return of the Brainstar Depths stage, he looks as good as ever in HD. His model for Melee hadn't aged too well, but it was pretty much all he had aside from later appearing in Zero Mission and then... nothing, so this stage with him returning is a godsend for the underdog lizard boss.

kraidultimate.png.83db53c6bd709408894f008ecf4d1146.png

There's Mewtwo as well if you count him as a villain (well, Smash pretty much does). Regardless, that's pretty much the consensus for a Subspace successor, which I agree on, even if I don't quite see it happening again, but is fun to think of now.

20 hours ago, Zora said:

Idk. I'm suspecting the ballot we all did supposedly for Bayonetta might be what Sakurai is using to determine newcomers. If that's the case, this is probably the best shot Isaac has. Not a good one, mind, but probably a better position than Smash 4. 

If the ballot really is what they're going on, and a character as old/disused as K. Rool can get in, then maybe... Just maybe Isaac could happen.

Ah, it returns... The pain of allowing myself to hope. hamcry;