Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Well that was an interesting direct

Though I’ve gotten used to it, Alolan Exeggutor always cracks me up - love that’s it’s a Pokéball Pokémon

On that note,  it’s also pretty cool that they were able to finally implement Ditto after being scrapped in 64/Melee - I forget which one it was

And although both are ATs, but it’s pretty cool that Nikki’s back and being acknowledged, which is pretty cool -  and Kapp’n is pretty amusing

The battle modes and options are quite nice - pretty cool to see Tourney mode back from Melee

The Squad Battle (probably the only good thing from Smash Tour from Wii U?) and Smash Battle look quite interesting

The dual stage swap looks quite interesting

Nice to see the music condensed and combined, too... but over 800 songs? That’s quite a lot...

Also it’s quite interesting that they decided to bring back the Music functionality from the 3DS version (how you can play music while the system is off/sleep mode, I mean)

Although I’m not huge on some the series of the new characters, but they’re quite nice to have - they seem to work pretty well in Smash

It’s quite cool that Nintendo hasn’t forgotten K. Rool, at least - pretty cool 

31 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Wasn't thrilled at all for Castlevania Guy and Hotter Castlevania Guy. Those are some impressive thighs, but he seems too obscure for a third party rep.

Obscure? Castlevania is a fairly well known classic series and the leading character choice, Simon, is not only one of the more popular characters in the series but the Smash version is based upon his Super Castlevania IV iteration which was a fairly popular early SNES game. Considering Smash has been in part a celebration of classic series Castlevania fits the bill and is an easy choice among third party representation in that regard.

BTW I wonder if we might get a Monster Hunter rep at some point. Cause the Rathalos reveal was definitely on a stage that looked like the Ancestral Steppe map from MH4. The only other idea I have is that maybe it's like the Dracula situation and maybe there will be a Boss Mode type thing in this game with characters from different games to fight.

Won't have time to actually watch the Direct until later but just reading about the announcements: I hope the developers aren't killing themselves putting this game together, because it's incredible how much they're packing in! All those stages and songs, man, back in Melee my brothers and I would play all afternoon and rotate between characters so we'd each play as every character at least once, and go through every stage at least once too. If we tried that on Ultimate I think we'd end up playing all day. I can't believe both Simon Belmont and K. Rool made it in—what could possibly still be announced between now and December?

And yeah maybe Castlevania isn't a huge name today but it was one of the most popular franchises on the NES, and the GBA and DS era Castlevania games were some of the best titles for those systems. Hell, the franchise helped coin the term Metroidvania. If we're looking for representatives from franchises that are historically important to not only Nintendo but video games as a whole, Simon Belmont absolutely fits the bill.

35 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

Shovel Knight showing up in yet another game. 

That knight is all over the place: he must be in (or confirmed to appear in) at least a dozen games now. 

All with only one game under his belt (and technically several expansions). Shovel Knight continues to be the premier representative of modern indie gaming/Kickstarter success stories.

Wow. I'm actually really psyched to play as every new fighter they've announced so far. Simon and Richter were something I didn't know I wanted, but they look absolutely boss. I'm really happy with his NES-era moveset, and Dracula's Castle is all kinds of atmospheric spook. K. Rool was one of my most wanted characters, and I'm so happy to see him in. I love that his final smash is the doomsday device from DK64! :D 

Chrom is a neat addition. Cue the salt from the folks complaining there are now now seven Fire Emblem characters. :P Especially since there's no way the new protagonist from Three Houses doesn't get in eventually. It looks like he borrows his moves from a combination of Ike and Roy? I wonder what Robin's final smash is now that Chrom is in proper? Dark Samus looks positively gnarly, though I'm having trouble discerning how she's different from regular Samus in terms of moveset. Really digging that one-handed shooting animation and the new remix of Kraid's lair.  And Brinstar Depths is returning? Heck to the yes. Metroid's getting a lot of love this time around, and that's just fine.

The new modes are exactly the kind of thing Smash needs. I'll be playing a lot of Squad Strike, I can tell. :P 

I felt the hope die from Shovel Knight fans when the assist trophy was revealed, but I'm actually impressed he made it in at all. There's still hope for Shantae, though! BUT ZERO ASSIST TROPHY AAAAAAAAAAAA And with a kickin' MegaMan X1 remix, too! :)

More puzzling is the presence of Rathalos and what we can only assume is a Monster Hunter stage, with no sign of a playable Monster Hunter.  Maybe they'll reveal the hunter next time? Can't say I can get too terribly excited for that, but I know it would make a lot of other people happy, so if they're in, great. 

Man, I can't get over that K. Rool reveal. What a show. 

40 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Obscure? Castlevania is a fairly well known classic series and the leading character choice, Simon, is not only one of the more popular characters in the series but the Smash version is based upon his Super Castlevania IV iteration which was a fairly popular early SNES game. Considering Smash has been in part a celebration of classic series Castlevania fits the bill and is an easy choice among third party representation in that regard.

Castlevania has nowhere near the brand recognition of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Street Fighter. Even Metal Gear Solid is more recognizable, and it hasn't been relevant in years. Then there's Bayonetta, who's not a big presence but did make a lot of headlines for the Wii U, and Smash didn't have a femme fatale character yet.

Point is, I don't think anyone knows about Castlevania outside of nostalgic core gamers. Even I hardly know a thing about Castlevania. Simon and King K. Rool are weak choices for the roster, but I guess a lot of Ultimate is meant to be specifically targeting people who are already fans of Smash Bros.

Not just Belmont, but K. Rool, and more?! This game's gonna be legendary. On that note,

1 hour ago, Carl321 said:

Dark Samus confirm

*Ahem*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Congrats fam. It took at least well over a decade for both our characters, but dreams do come true... And now you get to live with this!

... It's still surreal to think we're getting the roster that Nsider would've killed for back in the day...

2 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Castlevania has nowhere near the brand recognition of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Street Fighter. Even Metal Gear Solid is more recognizable, and it hasn't been relevant in years. Then there's Bayonetta, who's not a big presence but did make a lot of headlines for the Wii U, and Smash didn't have a femme fatale character yet.

Point is, I don't think anyone knows about Castlevania outside of nostalgic core gamers. Even I hardly know a thing about Castlevania. Simon and King K. Rool are weak choices for the roster, but I guess a lot of Ultimate is meant to be specifically targeting people who are already fans of Smash Bros.

Bruh.

That you don't know much about Castlevania isn't an excuse to project about its relevancy. Plenty of gamers, not just Nintendo fans, and yet in this instance especially Nintendo fans, know of Castlevania. Games in the series have been rereleased thanks to digital platforms, new games as well, both the NES and SNES classic consoles have Castlevania titles, Netflix has an original animated series that has been popular. Point being, Castlevania is a known entity, a thing that people know. That it's not as ubiquitous as other known series is splitting hairs. Even if you wanted to argue that its inclusion in Smash is for nostalgia appeal is essentially making a case for why it fits. So much about Smash Bros. appeal is derived from people seeing icons they grew up with appearing in the same game together.

Castlevania, as a franchise, has sold over 20 million copies (according to whatever nebulous tracking method Wikipedia is going by). It was important enough to get not one but two games represented on the NES Classic, and another represented on the SNES Classic. The series is back in the cultural zeitgeist with a popular Netflix series. You, personally, may not be familiar with the franchise but that doesn't mean it isn't an important piece of video game history. Smash is an interactive monument to Nintendo and gaming in general, and Castlevania absolutely deserves a spot on it.

And honestly, even if we were to think of Castlevania as a less popular franchise, when has Smash ever shied away from drawing upon such games? How well known and beloved were Popo and Nana? Captain Falcon? Hell, Fire Emblem wasn't even released internationally before Marth and Roy appeared in Melee!

38 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Not just Belmont, but K. Rool, and more?! This game's gonna be legendary. On that note,

Congrats fam. It took at least well over a decade for both our characters, but dreams do come true... And now you get to live with this!

... It's still surreal to think we're getting the roster that Nsider would've killed for back in the day...

Man I had given up on Dark Samus. Prime Trilogy is over, DS was an Assist, then Samus' alt color. I figured it was time to pack it in. I never would have believed the best case scenario of Ridley AND Dark Samus as playable!

The only thing that could have topped this would be a unique moveset but I'll take what I can get. At least I don't have to learn a whole new fighter.

Take THAT everyone who argued with me on Nsider1! Now to mortgage my house to buy enough amiibo of them

Edited by Carl321