Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

14 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

I wonder if we’ll be getting all the items back as well...

From what I can remember the Parasol and Fan haven’t been in recent games after Melee... granted it’s been a long time since I’ve played Brawl/Smash 3DS, so Its possible I could be misremembering 

Those items were petty fun to use for some reason...

Suppose it might be too early to tell that, though...

Items that weren't in SSB4 that could be brought back:
Fan
Parasol
Red Shell
Flipper
Cloaking Device
Barrel Cannon
Cracker Launcher

Depending on how crazy Sakurai is, all of these might be brought back.  Who knows.

I would laugh if Sakurai re-added the feature from Melee where sometimes generic enemies like ReDeads and Octoroks would spawn from crates.

I watched the vid, PB.

What I found intriguing about the column is that idea for for Smash Ultimate materialized around dec 2015, a few months after Iwata passing and months before the release of last DLC for Sm4sh.

Man, I can I Iwata smiling down on us from heaven that gave Sakurai the courage to take on this development. In a weird way, tho we may have never had Smash with Iwata, his passing still did not deter Sakurai to make the most ambitious Smash ever.

Thank you, Iwata and thank you Sakurai. You honor us with all that you do.

• Chrom featured this topic
On 6/20/2018 at 5:11 PM, Cryptic said:

Items that weren't in SSB4 that could be brought back:
Fan
Parasol
Red Shell
Flipper
Cloaking Device
Barrel Cannon
Cracker Launcher

Depending on how crazy Sakurai is, all of these might be brought back.  Who knows.

I would laugh if Sakurai re-added the feature from Melee where sometimes generic enemies like ReDeads and Octoroks would spawn from crates.

Unless im mis-remembering, but i don't recall the Beam Sword being in Brawl and onwards either... that would also be nice to have back

Although it's been a long time since ive played Brawl, i vaguely remember the Cracker Launcher - id definitely love to see that one be brought back...

That one was fun to use

Also on an unrelated note, but with having 66 characters total (unless im mis-remembering/miscounting?) Im pretty sure that's correct, at least...

That's.... going to be a lot of character trophies to obtain from single player modes (Classic/Adventure if we get a new one and not something as big as SSE (which i wouldn't really mind too much, honestly) / All Star...)

Im assuming my memory isn't too off on the main character trophies anyway,  hopefully... i haven't touched any of the smash games in some time so my memory's a bit off

On that note, hopefully they tweak or change All-Star and Multi-Man

The All Star in 3DS/Wii U was a bit repetitive and predictable - But if we got three separate sub-modes within Multi-man (Random (ala Melee),Past-Present,Present-past) i wouldn't have too much of a problem with that

Similarly, as this is a new iteration, im not entirely sure if they'll re-use the Mii Fighters twice in a row..

Personally, i'd like them to bring back and have a mix of the Polygons,Wireframes,Alloys,Mii Fighters from past games and/or whatever new foes they'll decide to introduce, whatever they will be

From what I understand/hear now, you start out with the original 12 from Smash 64 with Ultimate, while everyone else you have to unlock. Knew that 100%ing the game would be another grind regardless, but damn, okay then...

Nerfing the length of all-star mode would help, yeah, though will eventually go through it and classic with everyone again either way, not just for being a completionist but to see whose playstyles sticks for me.

And hell yeah on bringing back the polygons or wireframe models for Multi-Man as opposed to the generic Mii’s. If we still get the latter for it though, I’ll live, but at the very least I’d hope for Break the Targets to be not Angry Birds again.

Oh, there’s also Board the Platforms that has literally been missing since Smash 64. Stuff like that returning would be nice too.

Edited by Ridley Prime

The question is the Smash we're getting a Switch is Ultimate, then what was the true name for Sm4sh?

Right here: (From GoNintendo comment section on this article)

RIDLEYSARIA:

I guess you could say that mode in Smash 4 is actually the “penultimate” now

13 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Getting kinda tired of all the commotion about Snake's ass now tbh, serious or not. Am just glad he's back.

This'll probably be my last thing about Ridley for now, hopefully, but this one's worth posting too.

Snake's butt is just as important as Ridley finally playable in Smash. Damn the ESRB.

Vid was weird at first, editing was peculiar but I sort of lost it with Mugatu saying ' it's beautiful'!

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

Samus’ boobs also took a hit/nerf from the ESRB or whatever we want to blame, but they’re not talked about nearly as much.

54 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I paid more attention to the loss of ass in Snake and 2nd to that was ZSS, weird to say, I know but if you're binging back something that most appreciated, why taketh away?

And also, ZSS in Sm4sh rack proves that we can have Snake's ass back, that game was rated E10+. So where dat ass at? Pause.

Apparently the body image police are necessitating these LOL.

Honestly though, I don't think I would have ever looked hard enough at either to really notice these on my own.

Just had a thought that makes me want the Ridley amiibo even more. When Samus Returns came out last year, Federation Force had a quiet update with the Metroid amiibo, so quiet that I didn't know of the update until a month or so ago. I would be happy if they did something with the Ridley amiibo as well for a paint job. If they were to create another paint job that has close to the same value as the Bounty Hunter paint job with 10 Missiles vs. 3, it would really broaden the experience. Ideally, taking the Flame Shot from a x3 stock to that same x10 stock would add more variety to the experience of a handful of missions. I'm not expecting the Ridley amiibo to have an interaction with Federation Force; it would be great if it did, but the Metroid amiibo update last year does give me a little hope.

I'm kind of hoping some Federation Force references appear in SSB Ultimate as well. I think the Shield Generator could be an interesting addition to the items catalog, and I don't think it would hurt to have a trophy of the Federation Force featuring four of the better looking, non-Amiibo paint jobs. Personally would love a Bion stage inspired by Mission 09: Blender, but it might end up too much like the Norfair stage in general feel. Phendrana Drifts though should be added before anything else stage-wise for Metroid in my opinion.

Edited by IU
On 6/25/2018 at 10:38 PM, Ridley Prime said:

Samus’ boobs also took a hit/nerf from the ESRB or whatever we want to blame, but they’re not talked about nearly as much.

Samus in Smash Ultimate is a straight upgrade from Smash 4, who are you kidding

See, I don't feel Snake really got a downgrade, neither did Samus which was why I brought that up for comparison. The muscle tone fits/portrays her better than the body build she had in the previous Smash's, I agree with people there. Still not really a fan of the rocket heels or whatever though, which ZSS didn't even need to stand out back during Brawl, but whatever.

edit: @IUSince it seems Samus Returns came too late after Smash Ultimate's development for SR to have any content (hence them still having Other M Samus far as the power suit I guess), I'd be down for that honestly at this point. I had a couple stage ideas for Samus Returns, one with Diggernaut where you had to run from him as one of those transitioning/scrolling stages, and the other being some section of SR388 that would rotate between the Alpha/Gamma/Zeta/Omega Metroids as stage enemies... Guess that was a bit of a stretch, though with the enemy circus the Pyrosphere stage in SSB4 was, was easy to think up of.

Edited by Ridley Prime