Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

It could be as little as one or two stages not being included, such as the Miiverse stage which might seem out of place now that the service is dead. Keep praying for Poké Floats everybody.

On an unrelated note I'm still debating with myself whether I should just buy the game digitally to always have it on my Switch or buy physically at Best Buy which, with Gamer's Club Unlocked and the $10 pre-order bonus, would offer pretty significant savings.

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

It could be as little as one or two stages not being included, such as the Miiverse stage which might seem out of place now that the service is dead. Keep praying for Poké Floats everybody.

On an unrelated note I'm still debating with myself whether I should just buy the game digitally to always have it on my Switch or buy physically at Best Buy which, with Gamer's Club Unlocked and the $10 pre-order bonus, would offer pretty significant savings.

I went BBY because of $10 + 20% ... the $ is too hard to argue.  Saves some $$ for that incoming DLC :P

GX brought up two good points on those areans though...

Training Arena from Smash 64 and the Metal Mario stage.  I'd love that Metal Mario Stage because it was so unique with the crystal cavern look in the background.

2 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

Looks like there’s confirmation of Amiibo for other returning characters- first up, Pichu and Ice Climbers Amiibo coming

So that’s 2 more new ones down - i suspect they’ll slowly confirm the others down the road 

I'd be 10000% certain we get Daisy, Snake, Pichu, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Young Link, Pokemon Trainer, and Splatoon.

I'd really love it if Nintendo can do a mini iceberg stand for them--sort of like how Ridley has that cracked floor going on.

I wonder what they do differently for Daisy so she doesn't look too much like Peach's.

Would snake get that box incorporated?

I wonder if we get a male Splatoon character for Smash.

How does Pokemon Trainer work?  Male/Female version?

Other things to consider is who might get a P2  ...BotW Link?  Roy get a Melee version?  Ganon with sword?  New Zelda for the costume change?

And I am sure we are all feeling like there has to be 2-4 additional/DLC characters that could pop up.

Edited by purple_beard
1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm hoping that we can unlock the new characters and not have them be locked to Amiibo only.

24 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

Why would you even worry about that? That's not how amiibo worked in Smash 4 at all.

I wouldn't mind a quick unlock via amiibo but like Eli said, you never had to use or even could use amiibo for character unlocks.  Now you could get special moves via amiibo fighting unlocks.

9 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I wouldn't mind a quick unlock via amiibo but like Eli said, you never had to use or even could use amiibo for character unlocks.  Now you could get special moves via amiibo fighting unlocks.

Yea which is good. I'm no fan of that or the DLC option either. Glad that they made them inexpensive the last time, but it still kind of got on my nerves. No fan of that.

GX just uploaded a video not long ago with a little more info from the Japanese site (or at least i didn't see mentioned in the reddit post/thread) - so looks like we're actually getting Amiibo for all returning veterans

So good we have full confirmation on that - in time for SSBUs launch too, from the sounds of it

Though i wonder if we'll be getting any Player 2 Amiibo? A female P2 Pokemon Trainer would be nice (we did get a female Corrin, so i don't think it would be impossible)

A Snake P2 Amiibo with it just being his cardboard box would be pretty amusing

46 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

You didn't need amiibo either for special move earning, you could do it on your own but if you had the amiibo you could set them up to fight themselves and the amiibo earn it for you while you watched them fight.

Technically speaking, you didn't need amiibo for anything in Smash 4 unless you just wanted to train up a AI fighter via amiibo to be basically be a L50 AI fighter that would have honed in their levels/skills/attacks based on how you played against them.

DLC option?

You never got moves vial DLC.  All they did was add new fighters and arenas--some free--some paid.  I'm not counting all the Mii Fighter costumes they offered.  If I recall correctly: DLC fighters were Mewtwo, Lucas, Corrin, Ryu, Roy, Cloud, and Bayonetta.  Mewtwo was free if you bought both smash games otherwise he was a paid character.  I think Miiverse, Duck Hunt, and ___ were free stage updates  but Hyrule Castle,  ___Castle (Ryu), Pirate Ship (Toon Link),  _____ (Baynetta), and Midgar(?)(Cloud) were paid DLC.

Edited by purple_beard
17 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

GX just uploaded a video not long ago with a little more info from the Japanese site (or at least i didn't see mentioned in the reddit post/thread) - so looks like we're actually getting Amiibo for all returning veterans

So good we have full confirmation on that - in time for SSBUs launch too, from the sounds of it

Though i wonder if we'll be getting any Player 2 Amiibo? A female P2 Pokemon Trainer would be nice (we did get a female Corrin, so i don't think it would be impossible)

A Snake P2 Amiibo with it just being his cardboard box would be pretty amusing

I think they meant that anyone who didn't already have an amiibo will get one not that characters with amiibo already released will get P2/new ones.

If they do go back through the entire roster again with new poses.....  O_O

I wonder if any of the new ones get P1 and P2 like Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin got.

9 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I think they meant that anyone who didn't already have an amiibo will get one not that characters with amiibo already released will get P2/new ones.

If they do go back through the entire roster again with new poses.....  O_O

I wonder if any of the new ones get P1 and P2 like Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin got.

I'm pretty sure that's what i said going by the video - that the new remaining returning veterans that didn't have Amiibo will get them, not that older Amiibo will be getting new ones

Probably should've phrased that better

Though a restock/reprint of older Amiibo could be possible (at least in Japan, anyway) - i did hear that Japan did/will be getting an Amibo restock, although i can't recall the source off the top of my head - think it was on the r/Amiibo reddit, though

I was just wondering if we we're also going to get any new P2 Amiibo, since we've gotten a few in the past

2 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

I'm pretty sure that's what i said going by the video - that the new remaining returning veterans that didn't have Amiibo will get them, not that older Amiibo will be getting new ones

Probably should've phrased that better

Though a restock/reprint of older Amiibo could be possible (at least in Japan, anyway) - i did hear that Japan did/will be getting an Amibo restock, although i can't recall the source off the top of my head - think it was on the r/Amiibo reddit, though

I was just wondering if we we're also going to get any new P2 Amiibo, since we've gotten a few in the past

Some of those thoughts got me to say f* it and go ahead and get that final smash mario to complete my sealed set.  I was going to go for the Japanese version of Smash Mario seeing as I was already paying above market value but when the only vendor had only 1 left for Japanese and the other had multiple NA versions I went NA.  I wanted to hold out till they confirmed doing reprints but with prices going north and being unsure I just went ahead with it.

I am probably going to double dip on all of the upcoming ones too.  Smash, Wedding  (SMO), and Yarn Yoshis are the only ones I double dipped on for opened and sealed ( well Gold Mario via BBY restock, and I'd get a Silver if it became availible, I also doubled up on Wolf Link).  Not sure if I'd ever double dip for sealed on my anniversary Zeldas, BotW Zeldas, 8Bit Marios, or any of the other regular Mario line.

Breaking away from Amiibo discussion for a minute....

I wonder if we get any other colored GC controllers, JC colors, or Pro Controller colors for Smash.  I don't need any of them but if they did something super cool I'd be game for new JCs and a 2nd custom Pro.  I don't want to go back up to 4 new GCNs in plain old black with a Smash logo even if my GCNs in some way are kind of used from all that MKWii I played LOL.

What colors do you guys think they would go with?

I think it would be cool to somehow work out a color scheme via Smash 64 via a pro or JC option with the N64 colors of gray, black, red, yellow, blue, and green.  If I am not mistaken next year is the 20th anniversary of the franchise/Smash 64.  If they are playing up the Melee angle then you could have black(already done), orange, purple, and/or Gray/Platinum from the Wavebirds to work with that one.  Keep the current JC and pro designs and color the controller and buttons to have that retro feel of the originals.

Break Away #2: DLC in general

I am a firm believer there is no way the game doesn't have DLC

Since we know the game will start with "everyone" it might be a while for character DLC to hit.

Stage DLC I think is where it gets murkier.  

I could see them dropping 3 stages packs for  each game  Smash 64, a Melee, a Brawl, and a 4 as 4 separate packs.

I'd also wonder what angle the Mii Fighers moves and costumes will have this time around.  They could really load up with costumes.... but then you have that whole elephant in the room of Echo Fighters lol.

Edited by purple_beard

Looks like Japan’s actually getting Amiibo Reprints in December 2018 and January 2019

Going by the article:

December 2018:

Spoiler

December 7, 2018

Mario

Peach

Yoshi

Donkey Kong

Samus

Wii Fit Trainer

Pikachu

Marth

Little Mac

Lucario

Captain Falcon

Rosalina and Luma

Bowser

Bowser Jr

Ike

Wario

Falco

Olimar and Pikmin

Mii Fighter

Mii Swordsman

Mii Gunner

Charizard

Greninja

Jigglypuff

Meta Knight

Robin

Shulk

Duck Hunt

Sonic

Mega Man

Pac-Man

Mewtwo

Lucas

Roy

Ryu

Link

Zelda

Toon Link

Sheik

Ganondorf

Lucina

Cloud Player 1

Bayonetta Player 1

Cloud Player 2

Bayonetta Player 2

January 2019:

Spoiler

Fox

Villager

Kirby

Luigi

Diddy Kong

Pit

King Dedede

Ness

Zero Suit Samus

Palutena

Dark Pit

Dr. Mario

Robot (R.O.B.)

Mr. Game & Watch

Corrin Player 1

Corrin Player 2

I don’t know if/when the U.S. will get any (could be likely though)

But importing them is always an option too

Edit: If I'm correct, looks like the entire lines getting reprinted - not sure if the Famicom R.O.B. is getting a reprint, though -  if it even needs one, anyway (I don't see it on the list, so i don't know either way on that one)

Edited by Shadow118

What I want to know is how they'll handle amiibo for characters who've gone through drastic redesigns.

Link of the Wild, Zelda Between Worlds, and Ganondorf of Time all look drastically different from their Twilight counterparts, which the previous Smash amiibo line was based on.

Better yet, will Squirtle and Ivysaur be compatible with Charizard's amiibo? Or will Trainer come in a 4-pack like ROB, Duck Hunt, and Mr. Game & Watch?

As much as the redesigns for the some of the Zelda character and Star Fox as well. I'm really curious how they going to do the Pokemon Trainer? If they decide to do the trainer his 3 Pokemon? If so that may be the biggest amiibo in surface area more so than verticality. Like the big amiibo that come to mind is the giant Wool Yoshi, Detective Pikachu and the Guardian, I wonder where their size will fall with those as reference.

As for character that weren't amiibo like Ice Climber, Snake, and Pichu and Young Link. I think there's nothing they need to do new modifications for, especially for Young Link because there's already amiibo for him based on the Legend of Zelda 30th anniversary line Majora's Mask Young Link amiibo. Just got replace his sword and shield with his Ocarina starter Kokiri sword and Shield and also remove the goron mask he holds.

But I don't know how they are going get some or all those amiibo ready to ship by Dec 7th, unless they were working on all these amiibo around the development of this game. That would make sense for it release on time. (But why only show the Inklining, and Ridley, and confirm Daisy at E3 and not show what will be availble on game launch then?) And this is probably why the last DLC amiibo release over year after the last DLC for Smash 4 and while they decided on that release, focused on the ones they will be amiibo in Ultimate.

If not I can see whatever the rest releasing early 2019.

Does "Smash Ultimate" Link get a BotW looking amiibo or?

Otherwise I bet they'd reuse his from the original line.

Zelda has a costume change so?

Otherwise she could get a reprint.

I guess Ganon would be in the same boat but he looked the same to me, they just added the sword to his move set.