Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Lucina said:

Thanks, I also thought you used Marth well, but I found your Richter the most challenging to fight tbh :P Working through all your traps and projectiles was quite a workout.

My order of FE character preference:

Lucina

Marth

Roy

Chrom

Corrin

Ike

Robin

I don't enjoy Corrin as much as I did in Smash 4 for some reason, and I don't like the recoveries that Chrom and Ike have. I don't like any of Robin's special moves, but using the Levin Sword is really fun. She's also really slow, and while I don't dislike slow characters on principle, I generally prefer faster ones even if they don't hit as hard.

I mained Marth in Melee and secondaried him in Brawl and Smash 4 (at which point I took up maining Lucina). Lucina and Marth have my favorite array of moves and they're also my favorite characters out of the bunch. I'm glad that Lucina and Marth have become more distinguishable from one another over time; I was getting tired of Lucina being known as 'worse Marth' by a lot of people.

Roy is just really fun. He's speedy, AND it feels really satisfying to hit with his powerful moves.

@ Richter

Not that I don't like Simon, but somehow I vibe with Richter more.  I just really get his axe toss arcs, up kick, and how to best jump and toss his holy water.  I'm ok on whip usage and the straight line axe toss.

@ Marth

Liked him a lot in Melee, found him unplayable for me in Brawl and Smash 4.  In Ultimate he is firmly back in rotation.

@ Ike 

I could count on his move to work for me in Brawl, even at my own peril, but I could use him well.  I was hoping the trend would continue in 4 and Ultimate but the didn't.  I agree, his recover does suck.  Kind of why Chrom doesn't get a lot of play from me right as well...recovery.

@ Lucina

Just not different enough from Marth for me to care.

@ Robin

I like the move set of the character and honestly wouldn't mind learning it better but I have just found others I like more and the hook isn't there.

@ Roy

Its too satisfying to fire sword strike someone in Smash LOL.  I can't recall if I used him a lot in Melee but he was one of my faves in Smash 4 and obviously Ultimate.

@ Corrin

I really like and understand and can make work for me the move set.

Sidebar

I got heavily into Toon Link last game, to the point that when I started with him I couldn't not play him.  However, when they decided to bring Young Link back in and Toon Link but somehow mixed tactics of Toon with Young I found it hard to go back to like liking Toon Link and now use Young Link.

Bowser became usable for me in this game again thank goodness.  While not a top main of mine, I can work with him well enough.

I was a big fan of Mr. G&W but in this game, I just haven't hit my groove with him--I swear they changed something compared to Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 play with him.  ...And I don't like it.

Sonic was decent for me in Brawl and 4, but somehow I haven't found my groove with him in Ultimate.

Duck Hunt was money for me in 4, but somehow, I hardly ever use him now.

I'm starting to get Incineroar.  I just hate it when I f* up his recovery as I know it will be bad if I scew up.

I loved me some Charizard in 4 but somehow with how he is now incorporated into Pokemon Trainer I have lost all touch with using him.

Edited by purple_beard
53 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Sidebar

I got heavily into Toon Link last game, to the point that when I started with him I couldn't not play him.  However, when they decided to bring Young Link back in and Toon Link but somehow mixed tactics of Toon with Young I found it hard to go back to like liking Toon Link and now use Young Link.

Bowser became usable for me in this game again thank goodness.  While not a top main of mine, I can work with him well enough.

I was a big fan of Mr. G&W but in this game, I just haven't hit my groove with him--I swear they changed something compared to Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 play with him.  ...And I don't like it.

Sonic was decent for me in Brawl and 4, but somehow I haven't found my groove with him in Ultimate.

Duck Hunt was money for me in 4, but somehow, I hardly ever use him now.

I'm starting to get Incineroar.  I just hate it when I f* up his recovery as I know it will be bad if I scew up.

I loved me some Charizard in 4 but somehow with how he is now incorporated into Pokemon Trainer I have lost all touch with using him.

@ Toon Link

I mained Toon Link in Brawl and then didn't use him as much in Smash 4, I missed Young Link and was tired of Toon Link. I like his new Side Smash attack more than the old one now, also I like his new attack sound effects.

@ Young Link

This was my Secondary character in Melee, and I never thought I'd see him again after he got replaced in Brawl. Having him back made me very happy. I like having both him and Toon Link as options. I prefer Young Link the most out of all the Links.

@ Bowser

Bowser in Ultimate is my favorite version of the character, now I play him more often.

@ Mr. Game & Watch

I really don't like how they changed his Up Air and Forward Air attacks. I don't use him a lot anymore.

@ Sonic

Okay in Brawl, much better in Smash 4 and Ultimate. I love how he plays. One of my most used characters during Smash 4.

@ Duck Hunt

One of my worst characters in all of Smash, unfortunately. Not particularly attached to the character either.

@ Incineroar

I find working with his recovery to be a somewhat entertaining challenge. He feels really high risk, high reward. Has a pretty fun moveset.

@ Charizard

He became my favorite Heavy in Smash 4. I really loved practicing Tippers with his tail (Back Air, Neutral Air, tilts). All of his special moves were useful in some way. Now that he's connected to Trainer again as part of a group, I like him, but not as much as I did in Smash 4. I really miss him having Rock Smash, it helped me out a lot in 4.

Indeed. The sliding rock smash tech in SSB4 particularly was the bomb. Don’t know how popular or unpopular opinion it is, but I’d still take rock smash over flare blitz any day for the interesting utilities it had. 

Even if l kinda saw Charizard as a fun playable dragon substitute for Ridley at the time, I do still miss what he was individually. Not to mention, he lost his Mega X form final smash as well due to going back to the Pokemon Trainer shtick.

Yeah, I think Pokémon Trainer has a really boring Final Smash. The generic beam is pretty lame...

I also prefer Rock Smash to Flare Blitz, it was great for ripping through opponents' shields, and had utility as a means of halting Charizard's momentum in the air.

But Squirtle's back flower;

Squirtle is awesome

On 5/31/2019 at 8:38 AM, DLurkster said:

All Pichu got were buffs and I approve.

Oops, I saw increase and didn't read the rest of patch note for Pichu and should of realize they increase the damage it does to itself.

My bad. Probably needed. I thought it's not bad but it's high tier character so this should balance the game. Oh well.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:23 AM, DLurkster said:

Wow, this is pointless.

The only slightly redeeming factor is that after a match finishes you can watch the match. Too bad you can't spectate or whatever.

Tho amiibo get stronger facing amiibo FP get stronger facing others trained on another system,  I feel for me (with all my amiibo trained up to lv 50) this will weaken my amiibo, not by level of course but by skill in how I train them by item proficiency,  myself, other amiibo and last CPU. A combination of that is what my make my amiibo can stand up to most  threats that come its way, this include the most played mode, with stock and time with along item use and the type controlled players and A.I.

I think as I thought that Battle Arena is where it's at where my amiibo talent will shine with so much mix-ups like my trainer and my even improve skill-wise.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, purple_beard said:

Its kind of cool I guess....

I post this vid on the previous page PB, my quote above this one.

Basically, what I'm sure it says is that the next DLC character will be announced at Nintendo E3 2019 Direct. Sakurai himself confirmed this at the conclusion of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 2019 Champions today. The tweet above is just a repeat confirmation.

Edited by DLurkster
  • 2 weeks later...

This isn't same guy who upload this kind of vids, it's some guy who imitating him. You can tell if you watch the vid from the begin, it's complete trash and why I start  the vid in the middle. Which is not better but it's better than nothing and close to what the original guy puts out.

Just started three new World of Light playthroughs with the goal of determining the lowest possible number of fighters to rescue while still reaching the true ending.

So far Mario is the only one who's absolutely required, but the Marth and Villager paths converge very early on.

If Banjo has a stall-then-fall D-air (Beak Buster) and Rat-A-Tap Rap is also a multihitting F-air just like his B-air, he might not be too strong. Stall-then-falls are bad for ledgeguarding and multihit 'flurry' attacks can be fallen out of or escaped before reaching their full damage potential.

There are a couple of aspects that might be included with the Special Moves we saw that, in my opinion, would make him a lot better.

First would be if he has enough time to pick up Kazooie's grenade eggs so that he can carry around a bomb projectile to threaten opponents with.

Second, it would be fantastic if his Golden Feathers/Wondering side special had horizontal recovery utility and didn't just drop him like a rock the moment he uses it in midair (which would be true to the Banjo games).

Either way I think his moves look really fun, and I'm looking forward to playing him a ton when he drops. 

Since Joker's update brought the return of Stage Builder and online sharing in general, do you think Hero and Banjo might come with other missing game modes from past games?

I wouldn't expect all 80 fighters to have their own Break the Targets like in Melee, but a boss rush mode might be cool.

You can do boss rush... Just replay the end of World of Light. Home Run Contest should be more priority IMO.

edit: In any case, definitely getting Banjo when he arrives. Joker didn't really interest me in comparison, though depending on who the remaining fighters are, I might buy the character pass after all if I find enough of them to be worth getting for me. If not, then will just get Banjo and maybe one other, with how content I pretty much already am with the game otherwise.

Edited by Ridley Prime