Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

At the Famitsu Award 2018 event, which SSBU won Game of the Year, Sakurai announced that Joker is coming "Soon"...

We know Joker is coming by the end of April, but soon as in how soon? The beginning, middle or end of the month? Still, it seems very like that Joker would release along side that 4/25 P5 S announcement, if that does end up being the Switch version of P5, which, it's very likely to be.

Edited by alienboyva
On 4/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, Tyranogre said:

That's a better trilogy of games and, if Nintendo's willing, all would have online multiplayer on the Switch. I really think a HD port of the MPT when it releases will not have sales that match the build up, and I think the same for MP4. I think they could make a better pitch to a larger audience with MP:FF, MPH and MPP since they'll likely see much more attention graphically updating/reworking them for release and potentially with the online multiplayer across all three games. MPT for Switch will come and go quickly.

I hope Joker comes out sooner than later this month, because I'm ready to see who the next DLC fighter is. Having never played Persona, the character doesn't register much with me, but I'll give him a try whenever I decide to play Ultimate again. Looking forward to the potential new modes more in the update, since I got kind of burned out on just fighting and would like something like Break the Targets and Home-Run Contest to break up the monotony a bit.

Edited by IU
18 minutes ago, IU said:

That's a better trilogy of games and, if Nintendo's willing, all would have online multiplayer on the Switch. I really think a HD port of the MPT when it releases will not have sales that match the build up, and I think the same for MP4. I think they could make a better pitch to a larger audience with MP:FF, MPH and MPP since they'll likely see much more attention graphically updating/reworking them for release and potentially with the online multiplayer across all three games. MPT for Switch will come and go quickly.

I hope Joker comes out sooner than later this month, because I'm ready to see who the next DLC fighter is. Having never played Persona, the character doesn't register much with me, but I'll give him a try whenever I decide to play Ultimate again. Looking forward to the potential new modes more in the update, since I got kind of burned out on just fighting and would like something like Break the Targets and Home-Run Contest to break up the monotony a bit.

I think the only online aspect Pinball would get in a re-release is leaderboards. FF I could bite just for the aspect of co-op on the Switch, but Blast Ball or slow-mo Rocket League I still don't think I'd gravitate toward. The MPH multiplayer revitalized would be in a league of its own though, and with the age of patches, things that originally existed in the game like Weavel glitching through walls in online multiplayer and other bugs could be fixed and patched in an update. I'd be all over that. As for the Prime Trilogy Switch release, I think Labo VR support would be a strong selling point for it, more-so than other games like Odyssey and BotW just for the 1st person aspect. MP4 could benefit from Labo VR too, if they decide to go there. Otherwise, I think MPT's level of staying power (whether for people newer to Metroid or veterans like us) will be mostly determined by the controls and how they're received. The idea of playing like MP3 with joycons instead of the Wiimote will be a breath of fresh air at least.

Will mostly be invested for the new modes and potential character balance changes (not so much Joker), but I do really hope the Smash 3.0 update comes sooner this month as opposed to near the end with other things I have my radar too, but knowing my luck with timing, I can see them waiting that long to put it out. Either way, a Nintendo direct this month would help at least for clarity.

37 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

I think the only online aspect Pinball would get in a re-release is leaderboards. FF I could bite just for the aspect of co-op on the Switch, but Blast Ball or slow-mo Rocket League I still don't think I'd gravitate toward. The MPH multiplayer revitalized would be in a league of its own though, and with the age of patches, things that originally existed in the game like Weavel glitching through walls in online multiplayer and other bugs could be fixed and patched in an update. I'd be all over that. As for the Prime Trilogy Switch release, I think Labo VR support would be a strong selling point for it, more-so than other games like Odyssey and BotW just for the 1st person aspect. MP4 could benefit from Labo VR too, if they decide to go there. Otherwise, I think MPT's level of staying power (whether for people newer to Metroid or veterans like us) will be mostly determined by the controls and how they're received. The idea of playing like MP3 with joycons instead of the Wiimote will be a breath of fresh air at least.

Will mostly be invested for the new modes and potential character balance changes (not so much Joker), but I do really hope the Smash 3.0 update comes sooner this month as opposed to near the end with other things I have my radar too, but knowing my luck with timing, I can see them waiting that long to put it out. Either way, a Nintendo direct this month would help at least for clarity.

I agree online leaderboards are what would happen for Metroid Prime Pinball since Nintendo would probably go for the most basic addition to take advantage of their online service. The game has a 1-8 player 100,000pt multiplayer race mission on the Magmoor Caverns table, so I was thinking of that being made into an online multiplayer mode along with expanding that experience to all the game's tables regarding the potential of a MPP update. Blast Ball would be the weakest part of the package if Federation Force as a whole would only receive a graphical update, but it would be smarter if they were to open the gates for DLC updates for both Federation Force and Metroid Prime Hunters. Federation Force could receive more specialized paint jobs and bonus missions to mix up the gameplay and Metroid Prime Hunters could have customizable hunter skins and additional maps to expand and personalize that experience. There's more money to be made in these games than I think most Metroid fans give them credit for.

The LABO VR headset does not include a head strap which means the positioning of the experience would be like playing the Switch in handheld mode right up to your face. It's not very attractive right now for anything extensive. Someone could customize the set, but how many people are willing to make that extra effort on top of already having to construct the Toy-Con? I don't think many will bother with this LABO set beyond curiosity, much like the other sets, and Nintendo VR probably won't have traction until they make something more expected for a VR headset. Since the base product has to have at least one hand providing support, it would be difficult or at least awkward to play either a MPT HD port (or MP4) with a split Joy-Con control scheme and that would be the most familiar set-up for those that have experienced the games on the previous consoles. Without any additions to the LABO kit, it'll likely be a dual stick scheme with gyro aiming to assist with the player always having to support the system and headset. It may get old really fast regardless of the quality of those three games.

Hopefully with the rumored Direct comes the Smash Brothers update on the same day. I've watched one video on the rumor talking about next Thursday for the Direct, but I'm avoiding putting any expectation on a date until I see Nintendo tweet information.

Here it is boys! A full HQ pic of Joker's SSBU render... 

This was recently found uploaded to NOE's site. Not sure if there's currently any way of accessing it without the direct link.

Link: https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/images/08_content_images/games_6/nintendo_switch_7/nswitch_supersmashbrosultimate_1/CI_NSwitch_SuperSmashBrosUltimate_DLC_Joker.jpg

DROwyyL.jpg

Mmmm..... This is incredibly hi-res! DAMN!

Edited by alienboyva
3 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Did they really say, 'this isn't even is final form', BRAAAAHHHH!!!

They are lucky the Mii Costumes are $0.75 because do I really want to rebuy Knuckles and Tails costume again?

HOW THE F* do they charge for these on top of the Fighter pass.....  that is robbery....

You tried update yet brah?  I do want to Smash tonight.... but I am intoxicated by the update dropping.