Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Got one of these for Xmas (see below). Now I can really play Smash. I don't have a pro controller so I've been using the coy-con w/grip and the short travel on the sticks just don't cut it for Smash. I do however have the GCN adapter from SSB4, which I use with my Wavebird, but I don't feel comfortable using the Switch dock, do to how easily you can scratch your system (I have a minor one from it).

Seriously, I fucking love this thing! There's no lag (only as much as any wireless controller) and it also has home and capture buttons. Also, as a bonus it has a Wiimote port so you can plug-in Wii/NES/SNES classic controllers. This is going to be a game-changer for portable Smash!

39 minutes ago, alienboyva said:

Got one of these for Xmas (see below). Now I can really play Smash. I don't have a pro controller so I've been using the coy-con w/grip and the short travel on the sticks just don't cut it for Smash. I do however have the GCN adapter from SSB4, which I use with my Wavebird, but I don't feel comfortable using the Switch dock, do to how easily you can scratch your system (I have a minor one from it).

Seriously, I fucking love this thing! There's no lag (only as much as any wireless controller) and it also has home and capture buttons. Also, as a bonus it has a Wiimote port so you can plug-in Wii/NES/SNES classic controllers. This is going to be a game-changer for portable Smash!

Nice.  I might try out gcn play today with smash.  I've been pro only, I need to move my wiiu ba c k to my room and I'll get adapter put into my switch for using the GC controllers 

Are you using og gcn or the last two smash editions of the GC controller?  I have a wavebird, and 3 og gcns along with the last two smash gcns to use as gcn controllers for smash.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

Nice.  I might try out gcn play today with smash.  I've been pro only, I need to move my wiiu ba c k to my room and I'll get adapter put into my switch for using the GC controllers 

Are you using og gcn or the last two smash editions of the GC controller?  I have a wavebird, and 3 og gcns along with the last two smash gcns to use as gcn controllers for smash.

As you can see from the logo on the controller, it’s an original GCN controller. I haven’t busted out my wired GCN controllers probably since the GCN days, as I’ve  just been using my Wavebird on GCN/Wii/Wii U. :P 

Edited by alienboyva
On 12/23/2018 at 12:29 AM, Surge135 said:

Then took a chance at the Legendary Pauline spirit battle but maaaaaan that Peach fighter avoiding combat on the 75km stage is obnoxious

you can cheese that by equipping a Spirit that starts you off holding a Staff (more damage the longer the distance). Just get two consecutive shots the moment the battle begins and it should KO her. (shoot, hop+shoot)

Edited by Carl321

Put a good amount of work in today in World of Light.  I am really liking how the world map and the themed battles are set up.  Maybe I am too lazy but the auto pick is what I am using for spirit choices but I swear, sometimes it does you right, sometimes so so, and sometimes not at all for the match.  That said, it sure seems like way too many spirits have the same abilities and going through all of them to personally find stuff you do/don't want seems kind of overloading the buffet choices IMO.

Having finished it awhile ago and finally getting the last challenge for it (not dying any in the final round), I will say World of Light was easily one of the best Smash single player modes for me to date, up there with Melee Adventure mode and Smash Run on the 3DS, easily blowing Subspace out of the water despite the lack of cutscenes in comparison, though others might disagree but eh, opinions.

While it got a little repetitive/grindy after awhile, the 2nd half when I unlocked more of my mains in it as well as the climax made up for it all, not to mention the subworld recreations of areas from other games that were perfect homage to gaming; the Kongo Jungle map from DKC1 and Dracula's castle were among the best of those for me.

Edited by Ridley Prime

So how's everyone doing in the game? I managed to beat Classic Mode with all characters, Beat World of Light and now I'm mainly at the Spirit Board getting a lot of spirits I even got a lot of the Fire Emblem ones that were in the last event and the three new event exclusive Mario related spirits. Dice Block I got really easy thanks to hammer time and Golden Mushroom well the Mii Brawler was wiping the floor with me but made the fatal mistake of sending me flying to the Starman that had just left the playing field so once I got the invincibility I managed to take him out with King Dedede. River Survival one I actually died three times since the stage got chaotic once bob-ombs started to fell and Bowser kept being on my case a lot in the matches along with Kirby.

Edited by Juanblue85
11 minutes ago, Juanblue85 said:

So how's everyone doing in the game? 

I work retail so I haven't had MUCH time with the game for a lot of stuff but....

* All characters unlocked via playing AI matches in Smash and doing rematches as needed.

* I'd say I've opened up a third of the map for World of Light and I think I am in the low teens on roster count via that way.

I personally want to work on playing with:

Pokemon Trainer via Squirtle and Bulbasaur 

Inciniroar

Chrom

K Rool

Ridley

* I like them and want to get better with them.

**Inciniroar though, I need some PT with to figure him out... I like his style... now I need to work on using him.

I'm a Richter over Simon right now... I like his overall speed.

I am not overly feeling Isabelle.

I like Daisy well enough but I think she will be 3rd tier for me in terms of my groupings of who I like to use.

I just finished unlocking all of the characters for Smash mode and have made a decent stride in World of Light by completing the Zapfish/Electric Plant and beating Galleom in the Base to the south west.

My most notable red/blue/green spirits are Black Knight, Wind Waker Zelda, and Wolf Link + Midna.

Figured out a way to cheese those achievements that require beating level 9 CPUs with a 300% handicap:

1. Set the rules to 1-stock.

2. Play as Kirby or Dedede on a stage with walk-off boundaries.

3. Walk off the screen, face away from the blast line, and hold B.

4. Wait for the AI to walk into your mouth.

5. Turn around and spit them out over the blast line.

I finished all the characters in classic mode. Classic mode this time around was a real treat, probably the best iteration of it in the series. Now that leaves me with World of Light, and I can't say I'm very interested in this mode. I'm reading it's taken players between 20-30 hours to finish this mode, which I find ridiculous. I've only played the mode for 4 hours and I feel exhausted already. The only drive I have for finishing the mode is so I can change the menu music.

Also the fact that character selections reset after every Smash really grates on me. It kills my drive to play dozens of Smash matches in a row like I would before. There's no reason for it to be like this.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

I am loathing some of them though.... lol.

After dealing with the Tabuu Spirit Battle, I've been trying my best not to get too into some of the BS that goes on in Ace and Legend Spirit battles. I made sure my left gray Joy-Con would no longer respond to inputs through the analog stick yesterday. I've had plenty of unintentional directional inputs occur while playing and there are times when I feel I have to really press a direction for anything to go through especially for closing distance and dodging. This is my favorite Smash game, thanks to how big the crossover is due to Spirits, but it's also the most infuriating Smash game I've played. I haven't been this angry playing a game in years.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with certain legendary spirit battles until you get some more good legendaries yourself that are leveled up, and when you do of course make sure you have certain support spirits equipped that make you immune to whatever environmental changes of a spirit battle (lava floor, etc).

Apart from the few spirits mentioned earlier that become decent legendaries once enhanced (Mother Brain, Andross, and Ganon), others I would recommend enhancing asap are Dracula's spirit, due to Soma Cruz being particularly effective against giant opponents, Midna enhanced into Wolf Link & Midna, Hades into final form Hades, Paper Bowser into Paper Bowser (Mario Paper: Sticker Star), Medusa into Medusa (Kid Icarus Uprising), and such... The Big Boss spirit I guess is good for any particularly annoying metal opponents. Currently waiting for the enhanced spirit form of Lyn (Blade Lord) to finish leveling up, who gives a decent increase chance of landing critical hits.

Since I was narrowing it down to the last few hundred spirits, realized I forgot about the ones that are summon exclusive until that point, so I summoned the spirits of Rodin (from Bayonetta) and Dixie Kong and enhanced those spirits into legendaries. Pretty good ones too if I say so myself.

A plethora of legendary spirits with special/bonus effects in your collection will make all the difference, so play the waiting game with some of the harder battles if you have to.

Edited by Ridley Prime