Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, alienboyva said:

SSBU Commercial...

I dig the style of this commercial, but I still love those goofy SSB4 "SETTLE IT IN SMASH!" commercials. ...And why do they not show anyone using GCN controllers?!!!! 

IMO, the first ever commercials for Smash, aka the Smash 64 commercial, and the Settle it in Smash ones from the last game were some of the best commercials to sell this kind of game to the masses.  Then again, with this they are really trying to go for Switch angle of take Smash anywhere with as many people as possible--you are always ready to play being as it is a home and portable console.

35 minutes ago, Kezay said:

One cool aspect about that commercial I like is near the end when it shows like a background of Switch games and they all fade out leaving the advertised game on screen.  I wonder if this is something they'll carry forward in future commercials.

I do think that is a smart move to show the tie in games if applicable for characters appearing in the game.  Nothing wrong with some cross-promotion!

There's a meme going around adding music to the latest Super Smash Bros. Ultimate trailer.

This video here is trailer with the Melee and Brawl theme in it.

I suggest you watch this video on YT, the links in the description have some songs thrown in there that work more so then they should like the Super Mario Bros. Show opening and Titanic My heart will go on. (I actually shed a tear with that one)

Got a question for you all. How much do you think being in the game as a spirit hurts a character's chances of becoming playable? I've been operating under the assumption that if they're in as a spirit, they can't be playable. I was looking over a list of all of the spirits confirmed so far. Interestingly, Isaac is not listed, yet Felix and Matthew are accounted for as spirits. What this means we can't really guess. But there's sort of a half-precedent for a character's promotion from spirit, if you will, in characters like Zero and Dr. Wily, who are assist trophies in addition to their role as spirits. Even more interesting, Wii Fit Trainer and Kaptain K. Rool are listed among the confirmed spirits. Does being listed as a spirit truly hurt a character's chances? What do you guys think? 

Edited by Laclipsey

It was mistaken that Geno was confirmed a spirit? I believe someone saw him in the direct but that was just icon you chose to be when you go online.

But back to your question (focusing on GS characters confirmed as spirits) if spirits deconfirm playable character status. I'm not sure. I think we all agree that AT or Mii costumes means there's a great chance that character will be playable. Spirits is too new to speculate where they stand in the spectrum with AT or Mii costumes. Plus having characters who are playable in game does not help that they are spirits as well.

But if I had to take guess where the spirits lean to is there's a chance if the series are represent as AT or MIii costumes somewhere in this game. If there's only representation of series character only as spirit, then there's noway they can be character. Think back, this like seeing character represented in the game alone as trophy, there's hardly any difference here that they take another form, right?

2 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

For what it's worth, Mewtwo had a trophy in Sm4sh before he was announced as DLC.

I'd say the only thing that definitively kills a character's chances is being an assist trophy.

Ah, I remember that and found that odd but tho I agree with AT for current gen game. The reason I say AT is another possibility of become playable, look at Little Mac, he was AT in Brawl then became playable in Sm4sh. I know that's rare exception and I don't think there's another but it happening once could mean it could happen in this game or maybe the next. Who knows?