Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

sui7p5cnszbsizp0mrkp.png

Official Site:

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/

Discuss news, updates, and anything related to the newest Smash game.

I generally peruse Gamexplain (youtube), Nintendolife, IGN, and Nintendoworldreport for news and what not on the game.  Amiibonews on twitter usually has good stuff on the amiibo angle to Nintendo games as well.

Edited by purple_beard
31 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I want a single player campaign similar to SSE, but I know it's not gonna happen...

I did like SSE myself as well.  I am  not sure where my heart truly lies on single player campaigns in Smash.... sometimes I just can't work certain characters for some challenges.  I'm more invested in in Stage and character unlocks versus all the trophies.

5 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I want a single player campaign similar to SSE, but I know it's not gonna happen...

ss_6.jpg

Well, since this Ramblin' Mushroom never appeared as an assist during E3, and frankly, doesn't look like a high enough quality model to be an assist.  And that stage, despite looking similar to Gaur Plains, is of a noticeably lower quality, despite being on the Switch. And when I compared it to Wii U version it even has a completely different, and much larger background, similar to the Adventure Stages in Melee that led into the "real stages". I'd say we got a good chance there's an adventure mode and this shot is from it.

Edited by Marxforever

I'm just keeping an eye on that "Stages" tab on the official site. It'd make sense to have every single stage available in Ultimate (the same way every character is available) but we'll see, there'll be quite a lot if all of them are here. Mostly we've got to know if Poké Floats is back!

1 hour ago, EH_STEVE said:

I'd settle for an Adventure mode à la Melee, but yes there should definitely be some decent single-player modes.

Ike's announcement scene in the original E3 presentation doesn't really look like something from gameplay or a win screen. I kind of wonder if that's from some sort of story scene. 

So who's everyone feeling hype about? After Smash 4 I didn't get my hopes up for Ridley, and of course it's when I don't have expectations we get him. Other than that I'm excited for Wolf to be back. I'll probably stick to ZSS as my main (though I want her bust back) unless Ridley or one of the returning characters really syncs with me, or ZSS is a lot worse. 

R.I.P. Snake's buns and ZSS's chest size. Y'all took one for the team. :( The muscles fit Samus more anyway though to be fair, and the return of OoT Ganondorf and Zelda are most welcome, as people were getting tired of their TP designs. Ganondorf's sword smash attacks are also welcomed because of the range they'll provide for him.

Ridley aside, is gonna be tough to choose from secondary mains now that literally everyone's back. Guess I'll use everyone for a bit and see who sticks, but am glad to see Wolf back, look forward to how Mewtwo's flair is now, etc.

Agreed. I like how they helped some lesser tier characters I typically used once I unlocked them all. Wasn’t hard when doing the 3DS home button freeze frame trick to get them, but still.

Based on their reception though I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t come back. R.I.P. spamming Charizard’s fireball cannon and stuff... R.I.P. Rock Smash too, on that note.

20 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Do you think Custom Moves will be back?

For everyone? I doubt it.

A diverse set of wholly unique custom moves was kind of Palutena's thing, which rarely got a chance to shine, unfortunately. Since they made it a point to mention how her specials have now been "streamlined" in the reveal, show chasing counter and deflect effectively being blended into one move. Five bucks they've done that to her entire moveset, making what she does context sensitive. Such as Auto-Reticule and Explosive Lance both being her neutral B now, with Auto being the tap, and Lance being the charge and release.

However, I'm pretty sure Miis will have custom specials return, after all customization is their whole thing. And since Sakurai said they're working hard to have them ready for online, I'd imagine you'll probably be able to select their moves right on the character select screen. That would take some time to balance and make sure it doesn't give them a ridiculous advantage.

Edited by Marxforever
4 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I'm just keeping an eye on that "Stages" tab on the official site. It'd make sense to have every single stage available in Ultimate (the same way every character is available) but we'll see, there'll be quite a lot if all of them are here. Mostly we've got to know if Poké Floats is back!

And Fountain of Dreams hopeful return

Can’t forget that one either

Like Eliwood mentioned, they've gotta be brining them all back, right? We're already up to, like what, 83 confirmed?

Finally, Saffron City, and a Kongo Jungle that beisides being gorgeously re-rendered, can have good music while you fight. :P

Always loved that stage, but hate that it's only track was the DK Rap. I don't even necessarily hate the DK Rap, but that remix was silly, and there's so much awesome from the Country series that would've fit better.

Edited by Marxforever
12 minutes ago, Marxforever said:

Like Eliwood mentioned, they've gotta be brining them all back, right? We're already up to, like what, 83 confirmed?

Finally, Saffron City, and a Kongo Jungle that beisides being gorgeously re-rendered, can have good music while you fight. :P

Always loved that stage, but hate that it's only track was the DK Rap. I don't even necessarily hate the DK Rap, but that remix was silly, and there's so much awesome from the Country series that would've fit better.

83+  The had two prior videos but but kept adding stages as they found more.

8 minutes ago, Marxforever said:

That’s what it seems like so far, at least 

Im pretty happy that they brought Saffron City back - bring Fountain of Dreams and Poké Floats and I’ll be even happier 

i loved those stages in those games

The only stage I could see possibly not return might be Miiverse

I’m honestly not sure on that one

9 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Yall and Poke Floats....  I hated that stage.... so damn annoying trying to hop around on those darn balloons and trying to kill others while not killing yourself.  I mean, heck, at least Big Blue was more manageable.

PokeFloats falls into a sub-category of stages that consist of simple platforms floating around a background of a well-known game.

Delfino Plaza, Skyloft, and Rainbow Cruise also fall into this category.

These stages are great for fanservice because they allow you stare at familiar scenery without having it constantly try to kill you.