Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

You know what I think would be awesome?

If Sakurai announced a character, but nothing else. No reveal trailer; no splash art.

Instead, he made a documentary about the creative process behind adding a character to Smash.

Negotiating with their IP owners. Playing their game of origin to decide what to base their moveset on. Show us the programmers working on their animations. Looking for bugs. Balancing them against the rest of the cast. Funny accidents that happen during playtesting. That sort of thing.

My pipedream shitpost aside, Ono appears to deny the SFV on Switch rumor, unless he's just being coy due to NDA.

And seriously, just because something might come to the Switch doesn't necessarily mean it'll have a playable character in Smash. Street Fighter is already well presented in Smash as is, so that would be a first for 3rd parties.

Edited by Ridley Prime
2 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

My pipedream shitpost aside, Ono appears to deny the SFV on Switch rumor, unless he's just being coy due to NDA.

And seriously, just because something might come to the Switch doesn't necessarily mean it'll have a playable character in Smash. Street Fighter is already well presented in Smash as is, so that would be a first for 3rd parties.

I mean, Ken and Ryu aren't bad grabs for Smash, there were a few assist trophy fighters too so.....  yeah... SF is in da hZouse.  But, one angle I'd take is they have a female fighter ripe for a female spot in Smash.... but 3 from SF might be that one step to far.

While I'm sure most of us are familiar with the history of the Morrigan sprite, for illustration purposes: 

1cxH7y8.png

This sprite was featured in the Guinness World Records book as the "Most reused character sprite in a fighting game," with 10 appearances between 1994 and 2001.

Edited by blcdude1

I officially dub this day as, 'Byleth Day'.

As of this post their know network status does mention when Ultimate will be down for maintenance. In the past was the early evening around 5pm PDT / 8pm EDT. No such notice there now as I said of this post.

I wonder when the update will occur.

@purple_beard: Some suggestion for the subtitle of the thread: How about, 'Teach is in, class is session!

If we're gonna get another Capcom rep, I'd rather it be Dante, X, or Zero. Scorpion makes more sense if we're talking classic fighting game representation, but I don't know how they'll get past the fatalities. And if they wouldn't include Mai in the background of Terry's stage, I don't see how they can justify a playable Morrigan. Remember, Smash is for good bois and grills. 

4 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I officially dub this day as, 'Byleth Day'.

As of this post their know network status does mention when Ultimate will be down for maintenance. In the past was the early evening around 5pm PDT / 8pm EDT. No such notice there now as I said of this post.

I wonder when the update will occur.

@purple_beard: Some suggestion for the subtitle of the thread: How about, 'Teach is in, class is session!

A school theme?

lol...forgot about this one...