Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

I'm mostly just excited there's another character in the DLC pack whose game I actually played, let alone recognize.

I'll either get Hero and Byleth separately, or if I consider getting Joker under the assumption I'll play purseowner 5 eventually, might consider getting the entire pack since it's like, what, only $7 more at that point? But I'm definitely excited for Byleth.

Edited by Ares

Well, out of the franchises with multiple characters already:

Star Fox @ 3

--I like Crystal because of her staff, but she's an assist trophy so...

Animal Crossing @ 2

--Villager and Isabelle are clones so... they are already struggling with character ideas from here...

Kirby @ 3

--I got nothing here

Kid Icarus @ 3

--Unless we are getting a new game, not sure who else to grab

Metroid @ 3

--Not sure where else to go

Mario @ _

--I like Dry Bowser as a Echo Bowser but adding longer reach on fire and at a higher % as well as getting into Bowser's axe/hammer tossing attributes.

--The Brothers... Hammer, Fire, Sumo, Ice, ...  miltiple looks for multiple weapons  Kind of like a Bowser Jr deal...

Zelda @ 6

--I like my idea of Pig Ganon from Zelda 1/ 3.  Using his staff as a physical attack weapon and then being able to shoot fireballs as well, maybe the electric balls too.... and maybe being able to dispense those fire bats as well

Street Fighter @ 2

--my female fighter idea from here?

Represented franchises with one

Mrs Pac Man/Pac Man  change up some controls and maybe do something using the ghosts like Olimar does Pikmin

Dr. Robotnik/Sonic  I envision something like Bowser using the Clown Car instead of Bowser Jr and the Koopalings

Dr. Wily / Mega Man  Using his floating ship to dispense attacking robots of various kinds.  Maybe in a Pokemon Trainer kind of way with different bosses he created.

16 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Street Fighter @ 2

--my female fighter idea from here?

In terms of historical importance, Chun-Li. No doubt in my mind about that. 

Where doubt creeps in is Capcom. If Capcom gets a fourth representative in Smash, I question if it would be a third Street Fighter character. While I certainly support Chun-Li, I can think of a number of other Capcom characters fans are behind. 

11 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

In terms of historical importance, Chun-Li. No doubt in my mind about that. 

Where doubt creeps in is Capcom. If Capcom gets a fourth representative in Smash, I question if it would be a third Street Fighter character. While I certainly support Chun-Li, I can think of a number of other Capcom characters fans are behind. 

I like Arthur from Ghouls & Ghosts!

All the weapon choices.

Almost a full set of alt costumes.

And then a terraforming stage like the Super G&G game.

Byleth was such a predictable choice that I didn't think to predict it. I think we all knew Byleth was going to be added eventually, but when the Fighter Pass characters ended up exclusively third-party and largely fan requests, I started to doubt Byleth was coming. I was never exactly broken up by this, given the sheer amount of Fire Emblem representation already. I haven't played Three Houses yet, but I love Fire Emblem. Have since Blazing Blade. But do we need a new character every time a mainline Fire Emblem game comes out? I thought having Marth Roy, Ike, and Robin was pretty good. For me it's not so much that there are so many sword wielders now. It's just that adding Byleth just feels like a waste. 

Still, I'll try out Byleth when she releases later this month. Her moveset looks pretty fun. At least she doesn't have a counter. 

Do they though? Their down special gives them some super armor on the start up, meaning if you find yourself committing to a laggy attack within range of that move, you'll be eating a huge axe hit. Technically not a counter but easily capable of being used like one.

Edited by Surge135
3 hours ago, Youngster Joey said:

Pretty underwhelming choice. Partly because Byleth is the most boring character in FE even in the modern era of Fates.

Even worse than Corrin? I haven't played Three Houses yet, but I found Corrin pretty insufferable. I'm curious what your thoughts are.

ssbwiiu-masterhand-crazyhand-nov272018.j

Make Master and Crazy hand playable....

And technically speaking this was in Smash 64:

latest?cb=20070227121029

Dolled up the stage could look better.

Not sure how I would upgrade Mario moves for Metal Mario, but I do think that since Japan loves Metal Mario in Mario Kart that Smash needs to step its metal game up.  Maybe his fireballs turn people to steel statues or whatever...  Maybe he could liquefy in a puddle to dodge attacks.

You know the part of the reveal trailer when Byleth comes back to Sothis and she rewards her.

When I saw the three shinning color, why did I think it was SMT #FE characters tho. I think I would be more hype if Itsuki, Tsubasa and Touma Carnage form just dropped in. Even if it doesn't make sense I'd take it.

But like some have been saying Byleth is not just anime sword user but they are anime bow, spear and axe user with not counter like Robin. Another thing in common with Robin is they are just as slow as Robin.

I'm actually pretty excited myself. I've mentioned in the past that I like some of Smash to still focus on it's Nintendo roots, while the various third party characters are neat, I don't mind seeing more first party characters, especially since Byleth is the only one from the bunch. Granted, I'm biased because Three Houses is probably one of my favorite games of all time and I haven't even played any of the other characters games aside from Banjo.  Adding the other Relic weapons was a great way to mix it up. I wouldn't have minded Edelgard, but it makes sense they'd pick the main character and not want to show "favoritism" to just one of the houses. 

4 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Why are people so butthurt about having so many sword users when there are just as many characters who use punches and kicks? Or hammers? Or guns? Or elemental magic powers?

I don't get this either. Not only because like you said, there are just as many characters using punches and kicks, but mostly because really how many other weapon types really have that many main characters who use something different? If they started pulling from western games a bit more maybe there'd be a bigger argument for it, but realistically the overwhelmingly vast majority of video games that star a character using a melee weapon. that weapon is a sword. Hell, even if you look at most popular western fantasy franchises the central characters weapon is a sword. If you move away from fantasy you have more options of course but a character shouldn't not get a chance just because "they are a fantasy character with a sword." Likewise a characters biggest assets for being in Smash shouldn't just be  "they don't use a sword." Fact is swords as a weapon are just kind of hard to get away from in most fantasy/high fantasy fiction. 

Edited by Igneous42
5 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

@IU

Seeing that made my day :P  

I think Byleth is the best fighter to come from the first pass on first impression, because I actually know at least something about Fire Emblem. My initial reaction to hearing the news from my little brother was hysterical amazement not disappointment. Fire Emblem is a series I haven't played at all, but I think I like mostly everything besides the core tactical RPG gameplay. Smash is basically providing me what I would want to experience with Fire Emblem's extensive cast. I'm looking forward to having a play session mainly focused around Byleth and Terry when the release date hits. 

The second fighters' pass needs a female representative or plenty of female cameos in my opinion. Byleth's showcase went over a little better for me too because it did have more female representation between the alternate look and the stage's cameos. I do feel though that there's a small void in Ultimate when it comes to female representation. Pokemon seems like it'll get another representative, and I do like @purple_beard idea. I would put Nessa in as the new representative and have her function much like the Pokemon Trainer. My idea is to have her cycle through Drednaw, Golisopod and Inteleon, each having their own moveset and fighting style. 

My most wanted character for the roster though is Sylux. I hope that Sakurai's search for new play styles when including newcomers has already made Sylux at least a thought, because I think the Lockjaw would offer that with its bomb system and its ability to create and chain tripwires. Chaining could both be used for damage or for recovery. How a triangular tripwire bomb would translate would be interesting to see and should challenge the team. The Shock Coil too offers the game a character that would be able to constantly recover damage while doing damage and both dramatically increase the longer the Shock Coil is connected. A sustained Shock Coil connection would be difficult to maintain, as it should be easy to break, but the options to break the connection should be limited as to allow the Sylux player to somewhat make other fighters more predictable as they avoid a fuller connection. Between the Lockjaw and Shock Coil, Sylux should offer something great and new for Smash.