Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, XLW said:

Maybe because of that no MK or KI. The other two fighting game series.

Though, could we see Soul Caliber?

KI is a T rated series though iirc, and as for MK, Scorpion (pretty much the mascot of the series at this point) has been shown able to work when toned down in other games, not that I’m counting on him particularly, but he’s not out of the realm of possibility. Certainly has one of the most unique designs out of any remaining fighting icon candidates though.

Him or Nightmare from SC would be my picks, but they’re longshots.

Edited by Ridley Prime

Both of those are more realistic than my long shot fighting game pick.

Repping 2 series, Yoshimitsu from Tekken and SoulCalibur has a fun move set that would translate well to Smash, a bunch of silly taunts and tons out potential alternate costumes. 

But he’s not the protagonist for either of those series. And on top of that, Namco has a bunch of other potential reps from other series. 

Terry's pretty fun to play; nice balance of speed and power, and having two side specials is pretty cool, though I definitely screwed up using the kick one a few times, sending myself off the ledge. If Ryu and Ken are any indication though I'll never get the hang of inputting the special commands consistently.

11 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Terry's pretty fun to play; nice balance of speed and power, and having two side specials is pretty cool, though I definitely screwed up using the kick one a few times, sending myself off the ledge. If Ryu and Ken are any indication though I'll never get the hang of inputting the special commands consistently.

Yeah, I can't do those command inputs either.  Too much to remember.  I had to play like an hour of solo play with P2 being just sitting there to really start to grasp my controller inputs as I felt during my first night marathon of using him I wasn't doing some of his stuff right so I wanted to practice what I was shown to see if it was me not doing it right or its one of those cases I don't/can't hit the buttons right to make the move happen.

I'm feeling rising tackle, that backflip kick thing, and that burn knuckle punch.  I want to get better at that down b with the shoot up and then fire punch down.  I had found my groove with Inceneroar's similar move so I want to hit that same groove with Terry.

I think one of his black alts makes him look like a dancer straight out of Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 2014 video LOL.

17 hours ago, purple_beard said:

That or the other speculation about that Gaming Awards thing.

Hmm, Ultimate came out on 12/7/18. The 7th this year falls on Saturday so I see why Ty would say the last spot will be revealed on the 9th, a Monday.

Later that week on the 12 will be video game awards on Thursday. So we just have to keep an eye on that week.

-------

Also.....

Is that you PB?educate;

Another laugh to me.

Kind of an interesting lot they bring up with some old rehashes and some new to me choices.

I do think #5 has to be really special to close out the  FIRST set though.  But the real question is how does the second wave proceed.

My batch of contestants is as follows:

Ryu / Ninja Gaiden

Arthur / Super Ghouls N Ghosts

Bonk / Bonk

Mrs Pac Man / Pac Man series

Pig Ganon / TLoZ, ALttP

Bomberman / Bomberman series

female_character / ????

--Chun Li/ Street Fighter ( 3 SF characters too much?)    Crystal/Star Fox   Medusa/ Kid Icarus  ...who else would be a good choice .... I can't see no one.

_____/ Mortal Kombat or Tekken?

--If Street Fighter and Fatal Fury get in then why not Mortal Kombat or Tekken?

2nd entry from Mega Man or Sonic games...

--Dr Wily?  Dr Robotnik? Tails?  

22 hours ago, purple_beard said:

female_character / ????

--Chun Li/ Street Fighter ( 3 SF characters too much?)    Crystal/Star Fox   Medusa/ Kid Icarus  ...who else would be a good choice .... I can't see no one.

One female character that seems like a perfect fit for Smash, at least in my mind, is Amaterasu. With her varied move set and the Celestial Brush, I just think she'd bring a lot to the table as a playable character, and an Okami stage would look absolutely beautiful. 

Find it kinda obnoxious how some see Mai as “the new Ridley” or the next Ridley. He was just previously unrealizable for technical reasons, whereas Mai’s main design is all about being hyper sexualized, and so not hard to understand why she didn’t make the cut even as a cameo, with the CERO ratings board in Japan and all. That said, Mai could’ve gotten by in one of her less revealing alternate costumes, but I guess they maybe felt that toning her down in any way to include her wouldn’t do her justice.

A fix patch came recently by the way, that fixes the Terry and Ice Climbers bug. I mainly got Terry for the stage at first, but he’s pretty fun himself.

The thing I wonder most about Mai is how many other characters simply didn't make the cut for a similar reason. I'm sure she's not the only character who was rejected for such a reason, she's just the one we were told about. 

Midna is coming to mind; I know her Imp Form is all over the place, but I don't think her true form ever made the cut. Not as a sticker, a trophy, an assist trophy or spirit. I might be wrong about that; but it seems an odd omission. 

Given the lack of female newcomers this time around, especially on the DLC side of things, would be unfortunate if Mai wasn't the only victim and there were some others we just weren't told about. Compared to some of whom people want the most as DLC, the female icons are just kinda slept on. Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, etc... But I'd be open to any one.