Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Are these same people going to be complaining about Rex & Pyra coming to Smash considering Xenoblade Chronicles 2 sold around the same as ARMS? I'm starting to think that ARMS needed to be a fighting IP with sales near the Smash Bros. series for the Smash community to think it was worth the character spot. 

37 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

You think it's possible that the inclusion of either Min Min, Twintelle, Spring Man or Ninjaara to Ultimate as a fighter means it opens the gate for similar characters in Smash as spirits or Assist Trophies have shot of being a fighter?

I think the ARMS rep. will break the spirit rule for sure, as I think it's Min Min or Twintelle. Rex & Pyra/Mythra, which I think will follow in this fighters pass, will then debunk anything suggested about Mii costumes excluding characters. It seems like a majority of Waluigi's support wants Spring Man in, a throw away rep for the caliber of ARMS' cast, so that the Assist Trophy rule is broken. I think it would be better if Golden Sun's Isaac breaks that rule if not Waluigi himself. Isaac as far as I know is highly requested from that series' fans for Smash. Spring Man is not the most popular ARMS character, he may be at most 4th or 5th on that list. I hope the honor is given to a better character. 

It's more a gut feeling, but I think this fighters pass is going to go the opposite direction of the first. Sakurai pointed out that the pass was chosen by Nintendo, so the pass likely could be entirely first party representation. Rex & Pyra/Mythra and Ring Fit Trainer seem more likely than any third party rep. to me at the moment. I can easily see half of this fighters pass being first party. 

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Dixie Kong. But I'll be fine with whoever gets in. The previous dlc pack has proven to me that any fighter they add at least has an interesting/unique playstyle, which is the most important to me. I've given up hope on Isaac, or anyone from Golden Sun for that matter, but would still be extremely happy to see someone from that series make it in. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see another pokemon joining the roster from the latest Gen. 

More wishful thinking: someone from Professor Layton, Rhythm Heaven and/or Phoenix Wright. 

Edited by Ferry
On 4/16/2020 at 5:03 AM, Ferry said:

Professor Layton, Rhythm Heaven and/or Phoenix Wright. 

Beyond the characters, can you imagine the remixes of Layton and Phoenix Wright music for Smash? 

Seriously good stuff already, but I'd love to see what they could do with it further. Besides, I feel like tracks like Pursuit ~ Cornered and Descole's Theme are great fits for Smash. 

Can they fix one game's online without rebuilding the online infrastructure for the whole system? The Switch has worse online than the Wii U to compensate for people using mobile tethering for Switch online. Is why like Splatoon 2's tick rate is lower than Splatoon 1's despite being on a newer system. It's all P2P anyway.

Same deal with the netcode; they made it so that it can handle as many connections as possible from as many distances as possible. If they improved the netcode for Ultimate it'd be great, but what are the chances?

At least #FixUltimateOnline brings better fan unison than like the Dexit stuff did for Pokemon, though is not saying much. I doubt this Smash hashtag movement will amount to much either though, but doesn't hurt to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t believe I once lived through this, let alone that it was more or less my introduction to wifi/online gaming. How far we’ve come, in spite of still existing issues.

I do hope Ultimate’s online gets further improved despite my doubts as expressed, but I know from experience it could always be worse. None of my matches in Ult online have been like that on average at least.

Oh, if it’s any consolation, having EVO online seems like it would be a pickle for many games, not just Ultimate...

Would be nice if this sent some kind of message to devs about their netcode, but not holding my breath. 

Edited by Ridley Prime
1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

Believe it when I see it, the last three games in Smash have had online and its still laggy.  That said, from what I gather most online fighting games have some sort of lag and input delay so....

Same here. The best place to play Smash online is sadly on the Wii U. I don't know why ppl think the lag gotten worse since Brawl when the best on unfortunately was Wii U's.

This is the fact the lag is just as bad or infinitesimal better than Ultimate, add in the fact that Wii U input delay offline is 3-5 frames better than Ultimate. So automatically you add the delay in-game in Ultimate online and your in a clusterfuck a match most of time. That and only that is the reason why the lag is that bad in Ultimate and why Wii U's is the best of the worst of lag.

So this better crap means nothing when the free online on Wii U is better by default and we've been paying for what on Ultimate. Oh please, give me a break Nintendo.

19 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Same here. The best place to play Smash online is sadly on the Wii U. I don't know why ppl think the lag gotten worse since Brawl when the best on unfortunately was Wii U's.

This is the fact the lag is just as bad or infinitesimal better than Ultimate, add in the fact that Wii U input delay offline is 3-5 frames better than Ultimate. So automatically you add the delay in-game in Ultimate online and your in a clusterfuck a match most of time. That and only that is the reason why the lag is that bad in Ultimate and why Wii U's is the best of the worst of lag.

So this better crap means nothing when the free online on Wii U is better by default and we've been paying for what on Ultimate. Oh please, give me a break Nintendo.

Maybe, but Smash Ultimate also has an install base at least DOUBLE what Smash sold on WiiU so....

13 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Maybe, but Smash Ultimate also has an install base at least DOUBLE what Smash sold on WiiU so....

More than double, (if you take out the 3DS which sits a 9 million) even 3 month ago.

The recent financial reports shows that Ultimate sold another 3 million bringing it to 18.84 million. Smash Wii U sit at 5.37 million.

I know the number may speak more who experience lag in Ultimate but it stands at a disadvantage not only with paid lad but that offline delayed input higher than Wii U.

That is why EVO for Ultimate online is gonna be nightmare, the only game in that line-up that could do online play is SFV Champion edition. They have rollback netcode, which translate that if there's hiccup online the input you put through rewinds to the last input put through when you halt an input. It's not perfect in that game or most online fighting games but SFC Champion Edition is the only one with rollback. Ultimate is the worse with its insult to injury with major offline input delay on top of lag. So install base or not Ultimate just have a lot setbacks when it comes to online

I get the skepticism, but just seeing this kind of answer at all from a Nintendo Q&A following #FixUltimateOnline, is a good sign, and makes me a bit hopeful now, though keeping expectations in check still. If they don't fix it soon enough, then perhaps a disastrous EVO online will shake them up and will go from there.

And yeah. The Wii U version was the most niche Smash release by far with probably the smallest install base (easy to forget I guess how much the 3DS version prior devoured a lot of what could've been for Smash U) and didn't have all that traffic to deal with. Not like Smash U had an edge on Ultimate anywhere else though; the content, roster, character balance, or anything. I'd rather fight a laggy Sonic or Samus in Ultimate online than get bodied by Smash 4 Bayonetta with less lag if I had to pick my poison.

I concur with the better of worse lag over the other. Outside content for Ultimate that keeps coming back and sticking with Ultimate. The lag is just one element that is not fixed while Wii U is stuck all the offline issue and the content there was great but is no more so yeah I rather Ultimate over Smash Wii U too.

Smash 4 on both 3DS and U had the same roster of characters and for the most part shared 80% of the stages.  Ran on the same overall Nintendo online network.  I never thought 3DS play vs. U play was that much different.  At best online matches either way were capped at 4 players.  You could only do 8p with local U play.

48 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Smash 4 on both 3DS and U had the same roster of characters and for the most part shared 80% of the stages.  Ran on the same overall Nintendo online network.  I never thought 3DS play vs. U play was that much different.  At best online matches either way were capped at 4 players.  You could only do 8p with local U play.

That's another feature benefit for Wii U versus 3DS but I'm not talking about what features were better of the two, nor how the online was. (Yes, 3DS online is the same as the Wii U)

I was simply stating that if you combined the installed based of 3DS and Wii U it will 14 million to the 18 million of Ultimate on Switch. That is why I said it is more double the install base and even with that close margin of sales didn't make the online better or worse than Ultimate. It's the fact the the online was free previous gen and it is not hindered by Ultimate offline delay input, that by default Smash Wii U online is better only by default.