Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, DLurkster said:

The weekends it's playing til June 21st: May 30-31, June 6-7, June 13-17 and June 20-21.

I mean, yeah, I'd doubt a Smash character arrives mid tournament if they are planning to award a FP2 award but then again, its not a technical Nintendo tournament.  And, they could also ban the new character if it arrived mid month.

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

I mean, yeah, I'd doubt a Smash character arrives mid tournament if they are planning to award a FP2 award but then again, its not a technical Nintendo tournament.  And, they could also ban the new character if it arrived mid month.

True but I think it could go either way. The character could come out during the tournament and they don't ban or it could come out afterwards. I'm more leaning on the after.

When it comes to Nintendo and releasing stuff, they wait till the absolute minute to do so and in these times now the excuse makes more sense and why I lean it will come out June 26th.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

True but I think it could go either way. The character could come out during the tournament and they don't ban or it could come out afterwards. I'm more leaning on the after.

When it comes to Nintendo and releasing stuff, they wait till the absolute minute to do so and in these times now the excuse makes more sense and why I lean it will come out June 26th.

Byleth came out January 28th.  Your date put that interval at 5 months.  Granted no one really knows where the next character stood in terms of development as of that date.  We got a trailer 2 months later on 3/26 that a ARMS character would be coming to Smash.  That would be a 3 month window at that point.  But in a direct last year they said we were getting additional fighters ( I think it was the Terry one) and they knew who the 6 would be already.  And this character is a internal Nintendo character.  I'm just not buying this long of a wait.  The on thing that is causing my mind to turn is, will the ARMS character be a multiple character drop?

And what I mean from that point is, In ARMS you had a basic character breakdown: character movement patterns/abilities, 3 unique fists per character (and all were interchangeable), and a specific arena style.  I think I am leaning towards a Mii Fighter custom set up.  I think that build a character set up is the only way to make ARMS come off right and with all its unique attributes.  The stage might have to be a travelling stage though, that way you can get the uniqueness of their arenas.  I wonder if they would do a male / female split on that.  Pick your body/arm, pick your fists, and then be ready to roll.

I suspect the ARMS character release date is a victim of changing plans, in that it seems like the exact sort of thing that would have been released the day of Nintendo's traditional E3 June Nintendo Direct. 

This would be similar to how Banjo & Kazooie were released the day of the September 4 Direct, and in line with what Nintendo likes to do, those same day drops that create an immediate buzz coming out of a Nintendo Direct. 

I would think the ARMS character was meant to be revealed/showcased when an E3 Direct would have occurred. I don't see why they would have to push something like that back seeing as how something like a new Paper Mario was dropped out of the blue. Mid-June seems right and hopefully it's just a single character. Fighter #7 could be hinted at or announced though. 

I don't have a problem with the preferred rules thing; it's not hard to usually come across the kind of matches you're looking for when you have your search rules set up as such, but I do feel the GSP system does more harm than good as a fictitious number that inaccurately rates one's worth as a player. Never was big on any online game rank system that gives you little point progression for winning, while the slightest loss always makes you plummet. Also mixed on how when your character loses enough GSP, it gets kicked out of Elite Smash, but I also see the appeal if you don't always want to fight Elite Smash players with your main and fight others more at your level if you're not a super hardcore smasher.

Wasn't sure if I wanted to bother posting this earlier, but guess I will now.

This finding is huge because if you recover this way with most characters, you'll have some invincibility during the getup. This is especially good for those whose disadvantage game is normally lacking or not that good.

The GimR's Lab youtube channel I would mostly recommend though for learning new mechanic fundamentals for Smash Ultimate, who still does consistent videos; the landing pivot attacks being his most recent one. This game is still in the process of being figured out mechanically with there being new things to learn.

Interesting perspective on GSP, I don't play quickplay very often. Just making arena seem better in my opinion.

As for the preferred rules setup, I agree they work much better than it did at launch I have no qualms with it per se but still like arenas better. They have they faults too, they are no perfect either but I feel it is the better option for battles.

@Ridley Prime: Fascinating! Not that I thought there couldn't be any more mechanics to be discovered in Ultimate but to think there still could be more is incredible. I watched the 2 vids from GimR's Lab about ledge exploit the first one seems easy enough to do but that 2nd on with the 240 degree turn after fast-falling looks like you need memory practice. I do agree that once you get the hang of it will be 2nd nature. Plus that is useful for other fake out setups, especially useful on Pac-Man.

It was announced today that the Isle of armor DLC for Pokemon SW/SH will release on June 17th.

I know nothing from there have anything to with Ultimate but with new content for these games releasing this month, using this might be clue that to me means we not getting the ARMS character until the later half of June. I do not know how likely it is to release before June 17th but why not?

2 hours ago, DLurkster said:

It was announced today that the Isle of armor DLC for Pokemon SW/SH will release on June 17th.

I know nothing from there have anything to with Ultimate but with new content for these games releasing this month, using this might be clue that to me means we not getting the ARMS character until the later half of June. I do not know how likely it is to release before June 17th but why not?

But wasn't ARMS announced before Pokemon dlc?.... And two separate developer houses too.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

But wasn't ARMS announced before Pokemon dlc?.... And two separate developer houses too.

Yes and No. Yes that the announcement of additional fighters were announced on 9.4.19 and no that Pokemon DLC was announced on 1.4.20.

We actually didn't know there would be 6 fighters till Byleth presentation on 1.26.20 and then 2 months later we found out one of the six fighters is an ARMS characters.

But I'm not looking at all those date to determine Pokemon DLC release to when ARMS will release this month, just simply June 17th is already half way through this month so I don't think it would be far off for ARMS release or even before.

That online mode analysis video... I don't think I've ever seen a video so desperate to hit 10 minutes.

I stopped playing the online modes at all and I'm so much less miserable for it. Apparently the lag even got Smash dropped from EVO online. Understandable considering that almost all moves are impossible to genuinely react to even offline.

I've seen the date June 16th being brought up in some YT comments for the DLC. No rumor, they just felt like the ARMS fighter for Smash Bros. should be revealed and/or released on ARMS 3 year anniversary. That makes sense to me. I don't think the Isle of Armor DLC release will have an impact outside of the possibility of Urshifu being Fighter #7, but that would make even more sense for the Smash news to occur the day prior. If the next Smash rep isn't Pokemon-related, they should be handled separately. June 16th would be the perfect day for an ARMS character reveal in Smash. If they're worried about taking attention from Pokemon, make the actual release for the new rep. be closer to the end of the month. They don't have to reveal and release on the same day. 

Edited by IU

That is still early if the reveal and release happen on June 16th. Even with the cross-over with the 7th fighter maybe Pokemon, I don't think it will overshine.

It's relatively a easy guess that it will before June 17th or after. I don't know for some reason I feel the week of June 22nd will be it,

Gamexplain post vid of their prediction of who will be the ARM fighter, ahead of when it will be announced.

I concur with their suggestion of Min Min or Twintelle. Lola Pop and Helix would really different and interesting choices as well for their abilities to defend and dodge respectively.

As for the changeable ARMS, I had no idea how to implement or if was possible but GE idea of down b to change is plausible but I have to see it in practice for it to make sense to me.

Edited by DLurkster
2 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Gamexplain post vid of their prediction of who will be the ARM fighter, ahead of when it will be announced.

I concur with their suggestion of Min Min or Twintelle. Lola Pop and Helix would really different and interesting choices as well for their abilities to defend and dodge respectively.

As for the changeable ARMS, I had no idea how to implement or if was possible but GE idea of down to change is plausible but I have to see it in practice for it to make sense to me.

I see a few scenarios evolving around the ARMS character:

1:  "Pokemon Trainer like"

Switch between multiple characters as one like PT works

2: "Mii Fighter like"

A fully custom character like Mii Fighter where you can pick bodys and arms and alt colors....

3): "Hero like"

Bring up a sub menu to change between ARMS styles as ONE body.

I think my 1 and 2 are the more likely to happen, especially since they posted the full roster in their teaser.  I think a Mii Fighter is the best way to get the full ARMS experience though, considering the custom options of the game itself.  But, being PT like, might make it easier to operate.

13 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I see a few scenarios evolving around the ARMS character:

1:  "Pokemon Trainer like"

Switch between multiple characters as one like PT works

2: "Mii Fighter like"

A fully custom character like Mii Fighter where you can pick bodys and arms and alt colors....

3): "Hero like"

Bring up a sub menu to change between ARMS styles as ONE body.

I think my 1 and 2 are the more likely to happen, especially since they posted the full roster in their teaser.  I think a Mii Fighter is the best way to get the full ARMS experience though, considering the custom options of the game itself.  But, being PT like, might make it easier to operate.

They mentioned all of that in the vid expect for PT and you bringing up makes sense why they didn't, I'll explain.

All the ARMS character except Twintelle use their ARMS as their weapon if there's multiple characters from ARMS in Ultimate, if one of them is Twintelle, that is more work on one character to make a models as opposed to Hero and why it was brought up in the video as option. The mii option is like when you select anyone one of them from the character screen and choose who who want could work too. They also mention the Mii maker in Ultimate but to go that far to create ARMS fighter is another exhausting resource.

So that is why even if still unlikely, option 1 or 2 might be possible but the down b to change the ARM for the fighter sounds more possible and doable imo.