Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Just now, IU said:

What specifically are you comparing to the move customization of the Mii fighters? I would think that would be the 42 individual ARMS, and not the characters' individual abilities of which some are passive. I do like the idea of a large pool of moves based around each ARM for customization. It wouldn't be right on a character level though, that focus should be on one specific character given their abilities. 

If you pick Mii Brawler for example and set one up you get to pick from moves to assign to the character build ...

3 moves for Neutral Special

3 moves for side special

3 moves for up special

3 moves for down special

Once you make your picks you are ready to go.

As I recall ARMS fighters had 3 specific fists for each character.  And you could also pick from all the fists available.

13 hours ago, IU said:

Anything other than Min Min and Twintelle just seems slightly off, and I think going with a male rep. would take away from the game's more unique female cast.

Ribbon Girl doesn't seem off to me, despite her status as Mii Fighter outfit. We've seen several characters who are both playable and Mii Fighter outfits, including Captain Falcon, King K. Rool, Link, Inkling, Isabelle, and Samus, among others. 

39 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

Ribbon Girl doesn't seem off to me, despite her status as Mii Fighter outfit. We've seen several characters who are both playable and Mii Fighter outfits, including Captain Falcon, King K. Rool, Link, Inkling, Isabelle, and Samus, among others. 

Ribbon Girl and Springman are on the game's box, just announce them if one of them is the representative in Smash. I could be wrong, but I don't think they're waiting until June to reveal a character on the game's box. It would be a bad move on their part too to hold that kind of reveal back when the official reveal occurs, because the speculation and hype build up is going to center around the fan favorites. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for this DLC pick outside of the ARMS community to begin with. 

@purple_beard Are you saying each of the 15 fighters would be the equivalent of a Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner and Mii Sword Fighter, each being unique, and the ARMS be distributed out in the custom moves for the specials? 

2 minutes ago, IU said:

@purple_beard Are you saying each of the 15 fighters would be the equivalent of a Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner and Mii Sword Fighter, each being unique, and the ARMS be distributed out in the custom moves for the specials? 

I mean, the GX guys threw out the singular fighter idea with alt colors representing the different arms characters.  Which I wouldn't say is out of the realm of possibility but then one of their guys chimed in to make it  customizable because of all the different character's arm types and fist types the game had.  So the person that replied to that said like Mii Fighters because you could build your own.

From 5:26-15:22

My assertion is I looked at how Mii Fighters can be made so....  I mean, its a default body based on your Mii, then you can go with your costume, then you can assign your moves.  So I am assuming that process is how you could build up a ARMS fighter.  Like, add ARMS as a custom fighter, the costumes are the odes to the actual fighters, and then your move adds work kind of like the game in terms of picking what you want.

I don't understand the desire to have the game's whole roster in just for the sake of it while sacrificing what makes the roster unique. The customization with regards to the actual ARMS is fine and I do like their suggestion of having more directional input for whoever the character is between the two ARMS selected. Min Min being able to throw a punch with her Ramram in one direction while her Megawatt is traveling in another for example. 

7 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Oh, what's Kirby gonna look like after using the inhale copy ability on an ARMS character? Will he get big arms or somethin? Funny thought, but I guess it'd mostly depend on what the neutral special animation is.

Kirby is a great point towards a specific character. If Twintelle, I can imagine her neutral special being Star's Aura, which would slow down actions done by other fighters within its effect area if translated in Smash. A Twintelle Kirby design might break the internet. :P 

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

For no other reason than I was, I was listening to Spawnwave's Spawncast a moment ago and someone suggested that Ring Fit girl could get a nod since Wii Fit Trainer is in.... and she could toss the ring like Captain America does his shield.   That sounded kind of cool.

Besides Animal Crossing, Ring Fit Adventure is one of the hottest Switch games out right now. I keep reading over on Nintendolife that they're having trouble keeping up with the demand, especially with what's going on with the quarantines. Since Wii Fit Trainer is in, I can imagine the Ring Fit Trainer being a representative in this pass and I think there's a more obvious pool of potential moves for the character than there were for Wii Fit Trainer. I don't think the Smash community will like that pick, but considering Nintendo is responsible for this second pass I can see this as a real possibility. 

1 hour ago, IU said:

Besides Animal Crossing, Ring Fit Adventure is one of the hottest Switch games out right now. I keep reading over on Nintendolife that they're having trouble keeping up with the demand, especially with what's going on with the quarantines. Since Wii Fit Trainer is in, I can imagine the Ring Fit Trainer being a representative in this pass and I think there's a more obvious pool of potential moves for the character than there were for Wii Fit Trainer. I don't think the Smash community will like that pick, but considering Nintendo is responsible for this second pass I can see this as a real possibility. 

The Ring Fit dragon would be more interesting tbh if I had to choose. :P

Something to think about with ARMS is the potential of an ARMS 2 being announced in June's Direct, and the character in Smash being the sequel's mascot character(s) as promotion. It would disappoint me if there was a swerve like that, but I would get the character just over the potential hype that an ARMS 2 would generate with me. I might not just outright buy the pass though like I would for Twintelle and Min Min. It would come down to the character and abilities. 

Edited by IU
  • 2 weeks later...

Translation:

I am now working remotely. Essentially, I’m supervising the project from a distance. Ultimate is a very high-security project, which makes it difficult to take it out (and work). However, we have no choice, but to do it. Everyone, let’s do our best to get through this!!

Working home now I see. Probably as a precaution, but good news nonetheless where the DLC's development is concerned.

Edited by Ridley Prime
15 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Part deux! (Finale)

'Your fears, like my grandmother baked cookies... are delicious'.

PB you gotta take that quote, that is so you!

First, his Bane is pretty darn good.

Matrizx-1999-Morpheus-Laurence-Fishburne

What if I told you both players fight lag?

But personally, I prefer the tears of unfathomable sadness.

24 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

You think it's possible that the inclusion of either Min Min, Twintelle, Spring Man or Ninjaara to Ultimate as a fighter means it opens the gate for similar characters in Smash as spirits or Assist Trophies have shot of being a fighter?

So, following his logic....

Bomberman has to get in.  He is a gaming Icon and the token assist trophy nod had to me a money thing.

Not sure where I would go with stage for him but he's got bomb, bombs, bomb chain, Super Bomb, Bounce Bombs, he could kick bombs across the screen, and then you could play the around with the length of the 4 blast zone to his bombs.  Alt colors already canon in the series and if you wanted to get weird you get the Kangaroos from Bman '94.

If we got Ridley, is Rathalos out of bounds to think about now?  He is a stage hazard and an assist trophy... he goes for the Hat Trick.

Then you go down the Sonic rabbit hole with Tails, Shadow, Robotnik.....

*I'd love Robotnik.... Mario/Bowser to  Sonic/Robotnik

Then you go down the Mega Man rabbit hole....

I believe Mrs. Pac Man is an assist trophy or a spirit somewhere.  I believe Pig Ganon is in there somewhere.

The ONLY RULE is there is NO RULES!

Edited by purple_beard