Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

11 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Well there ya go, not that there was really much doubt at this point. I'm mostly unphased by this with how much else there is for me to play at this time, but gotta stay safe.

I wonder if #6 is done and the one he's talking about is #7.  I totally get that if it's a 3rd party character he'd want to show them what they got and get the necessary feedback or approval to finish it up.

Didn't he say during Byleth's trailer that the six new fighters have already been chosen?

Best case scenario, this only affects the order in which they're released. For example, if number 6 was originally supposed to be a third-party character, but the virus is preventing them from meeting with their IP owner, then they could just pause working on number 6 and work on number 7 instead.

Of course, if all six fighters are from third-party companies, then we're fucked.

1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Didn't he say during Byleth's trailer that the six new fighters have already been chosen?

Best case scenario, this only affects the order in which they're released. For example, if number 6 was originally supposed to be a third-party character, but the virus is preventing them from meeting with their IP owner, then they could just pause working on number 6 and work on number 7 instead.

Of course, if all six fighters are from third-party companies, then we're fucked.

True....  

Kind of like what I have thought.... 1st slot probably done, the one after Byleth.....  after that is probably delayed 1-2 months if he's at the presentation point to the publisher.

https://armswiki.org/wiki/Fighters

smash-arms.png

Master Mummy would be cool. 

Helix would be a trip.

Twintelle would be nice, but I wonder if Dixie Kong gets the spinning hair nod.

Ninjara would be cool but with his chain arms and Simon and Richter having those chain whips IDK.

Kid Cobra would be pretty sweet, I liked him.

Max Brass, Springtron, and Dr. Coyle could be interesting for a bad guy line of thought.

Somehow I think Mechanica and Byte and Barq probably wont get a nod.

Misango as I recall was pretty cool.

Lola Pop and Min Min seem possible, I just think there are stronger possibilities.

35 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Ninjara would be cool but with his chain arms and Simon and Richter having those chain whips IDK.

I'd also draw comparisons to Sheik.

Ninjas are tough, in general, in that while I have nothing against Ninjara in particular, if a ninja character was to make it into this Fighters Pass, I can think of several I'd rather have. Ryu Hayabusa, Strider Hiryu and Yoshimitsu are probably the most notable. 

4 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

I'd also draw comparisons to Sheik.

Ninjas are tough, in general, in that while I have nothing against Ninjara in particular, if a ninja character was to make it into this Fighters Pass, I can think of several I'd rather have. Ryu Hayabusa, Strider Hiryu and Yoshimitsu are probably the most notable. 

Agreed.... Ryu from Ninja Gaiden would be the top tier next best Ninja character to go for considering the Ninja Gaiden history on the NES.  I had a thought about possibly bringing in Shinobi and his wolf....  to make it more unique....   but yeah.... Ryu is my top go to for a Ninja add.

Greninja and Sheikh would be the only Ninjas in the game and I think Ryu would play differently than those two considering his arsenal.

Nintendo throws the term "Nindie" around a lot, and it would be a pretty big move if they took the step of making an indie character playable in Smash.

We've seen indie spirits, Mii costumes, assist trophies and music, and even a trophy back in Smash Wii U, so Nintendo clearly recognizes the indie gaming fandom. Maybe it'll translate into a playable character, of which Shantae remains my pick.

Since Smash Bros. Ultimate's release, Min Min has won the ARMS Party Crash Bash Tournament. 

Minwin.jpeg

Min Min is also Mr. Yabuki's favorite character in the game. She is very deserving to represent ARMS in Smash. I personally would be really happy to see Min Min in Smash, and her standard ARMS: Dragon, Megawatt and Ramram, should make for a solid move set. 

My most wanted from ARMS is Twintelle, and she is recognized as the fan favorite in the ARMS Dev. Talk provided by Nintendo. She is a character designed for a broader appeal, and considering how much fan service plays into Smash I think Twintelle is a strong candidate too. Assuming we would be getting either the Ramen Bowl or Cinema Deux as the stage with Min Min and Twintelle respectively, I think Cinema Deux is better designed to translate into a Smash and cameo stage for ARMS than the Ramen Bowl. 

Anything other than Min Min and Twintelle just seems slightly off, and I think going with a male rep. would take away from the game's more unique female cast. With how the official reveal will occur in June, I don't think they're going with a box art character and it would be disappointing to build up to something that would seem very safe like that. Other than that, I think the only other character I'm not hoping for is Springtron. Springtron is a better Springman in mechanics, but isn't original and lacks the personality.

Again though, I think the appeal of Min Min and Twintelle makes them the two best options especially given how the reveal wasn't done right away. 

Edited by IU

The guys from GX had an interesting idea in their overall video for the direct:

What if its like a Mii-fighter in that you can pick the body, arms, and fists you want and then play it.

*I like that idea as it lets you get everyone.  I think only Byte and Barq would be modified in that case where you just get Byte.

The biggest problem with swapping around the fighters or the Bowser Jr. concept is that the unique abilities of the ARMS characters would probably be removed to follow most likely Springman. You gave a great example of the problem that would occur, the character is Byte & Barq. Just offering Byte is putting out content that's underdeveloped, and likewise so would be including the whole roster based around the design of a singular characters' abilities. While it would be visually nice, I hope they don't go that direction. 

8 minutes ago, IU said:

The biggest problem with swapping around the fighters or the Bowser Jr. concept is that the unique abilities of the ARMS characters would probably be removed to follow most likely Springman. You gave a great example of the problem that would occur, the character is Byte & Barq. Just offering Byte is putting out content that's underdeveloped, and likewise so would be including the whole roster based around the design of a singular characters' abilities. While it would be visually nice, I hope they don't go that direction. 

Well Byte and Barq was the only 2 piece fighter in the entire game.

If you think about their Mii Fighter approach though, the Mii Fiighters have a move set repertoire that you can pick what moves you like from a pool of moves and assign them to whatever buttons you want and that is amongst the three types of Mii Fighters.  I don't think you would have to do costumes in that sense with an ARMS fighter though.   Boiwser Jr and the Koopalings are basically a palette swap or alt costume vibe so I think they  are fine for what they are because it would be darn near impossible to make 8 individual styles of fighting for that concept.  But in the terms of ARMS characters, they were already individuals to begin with.

I will conceded though, that yes, all the Koopalings and Bowser Jr. had different moves as part of their move sets in boss battles in the games.-- like the rays from the wands, stun jumps, bouncy balls, riding a ball, bouncy rings, and others....

@purple_beard What specifically are you comparing to the move customization of the Mii fighters? I would think that would be the 42 individual ARMS, and not the characters' individual abilities of which some are passive. I do like the idea of a large pool of moves based around each ARM for customization. It wouldn't be right on a character level though, that focus should be on one specific character given their abilities. 

Edited by IU