Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

All the victory themes of all the Smash bros games with all the DLC characters of Ultimate as well.

What is interesting and I didn't know that the Earthbound characters is the only ones where the victory theme changes 3 times, (technically 2 times) eight melodies, Mother Earth then back to Eight Melodies but different part of the melody. Interesting. Other characters have at least 2 changes but between Smash 4 and Ultimate they change the tune a bit of 2nd version of their victory themes. Like at the top of my head the Animal Crossing, there's a slight difference between the 2 same victory theme.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After three years, I think I've finally figured out my issue with this game:

There are so many great characters that I love that it's impossible for me to pick just one as my "main". As a result, I keep shuffling characters around so much that I can't focus on getting good at the game itself.

Memorizing matchups, what percentage each character's moves can kill at, which characters have an advantage or disadvantage on each stage; it's all completely alien to me.

I can relate with what Ty is saying and probably more with any fighting game with a lot of characters to choose from. Obviously Smash is different and more so this one with the most it every had.

For me I threw away all the match-ups, kill percentage to a degree since Min Min enter the game by that point there were already a few chars I juggle with as of this game some old favorites and new favorites. I play by feel and experience of my playstyle of quick and master of projectiles. It has not stirred me too wrong in how I play this Smash efficiently.

• purple_beard changed the title to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Yeah, it's okay to have more than one main (I have at least two), or like a secondary or two. When you play the game enough, you'll find which characters you click with most even out of the ones you love.

Stuff like matchups I wouldn't stress on too much; that comes with experience. Some things like the TravPlay youtube channel gives a good general idea of what to expect with every character though (except for Kazuya and Sora which he never got around to doing such videos on for some reason) like what moves to respect and such, but learning a character's neutral game in knowing what moves to use during that phase, what moves are safe on shield (or somewhat safe), as well as your own out of shield options is most important to know first and foremost. Knowing what moves kill around what % can be good to know too (using middleweight characters as a general rule of thumb for this, while with heavyweights it would be 10% or so higher to kill with said move and likewise a little earlier for lightweights) but that's another something you eventually learn through muscle memory, though there's plenty guides and resources for characters that'll tell you such things too.

Juggling combo-y characters usually have most advantage on Battlefield or any stage with platforms, while zoners generally thrive most on Final Destination because they have all that free space; as a Ridley I have to hope I face them on one of their less advantageous stages, but stages with only two platforms instead of three like Small Battlefield can be a good compromise between both worlds.

Finding your niche with whatever characters is one of those things you might have to break down some, but nothing that complicated, especially compared to how other games are played (competitively or otherwise). If anything Smash is more accessible to learn now than ever.

Edited by Ridley Prime