Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

@Elemental Hero: I am curious what this some metric by Melee standard is?

I ask cause tho reception is important in massive sales but in the end what matters is what was sold not who it was sold too.

This latest iteration of Smash is the closest to Melee compared to the last 2 Smash releases. (Obviously, that is not saying much...)

Ultimate has sold over 30 million copies, I believe so let's say a quarter of that sold are to competitive players. That is less than 10 million copies.

So again, reception is important but comparing that number vs wholly sold. Latter will always win out how good. (Yeah, the install base of the Switch helped but Smash is 2nd most popular IP with other IP's from Nintendo and 3rd party so it will always sell good with a decent install base or great reception)

1 minute ago, purple_beard said:

Well 5 yrs  gets an event...and Spirits...

Dammit, you beat me.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

But hold on to your butt guys,  Sora amiibo releases February 16th.

Tho, I have to admit, Sora's face is looking chonking, I know cause his smile and eyes looks like it's being overrun with plastic. What's up with that?!?

Hair looks drabby and not so fresh either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, DLurkster said:

@Elemental Hero: I am curious what this some metric by Melee standard is?

I ask cause tho reception is important in massive sales but in the end what matters is what was sold not who it was sold too.

This latest iteration of Smash is the closest to Melee compared to the last 2 Smash releases. (Obviously, that is not saying much...)

Ultimate has sold over 30 million copies, I believe so let's say a quarter of that sold are to competitive players. That is less than 10 million copies.

So again, reception is important but comparing that number vs wholly sold. Latter will always win out how good. (Yeah, the install base of the Switch helped but Smash is 2nd most popular IP with other IP's from Nintendo and 3rd party so it will always sell good with a decent install base or great reception)

Of course Ultimate sold well--I'm talking about reception in the competitive fighting community. When I was checking in previous years, Ultimate's Twitch viewership wasn't far from fighting games which had drastically lower sales and review scores. Sometimes Melee was getting higher numbers. And in Smash Bros tournaments, while attendance did grow from Ultimate, it didn't grow anywhere near in proportion to how much bigger the sales were.

Basically Ultimate's had an extremely low conversion of sales to competitive players, including by comparison to other Smash games. Even though this is the Smash game which tried the hardest to convert casual players, paired with Nintendo's official initiatives to boost Smash tournaments (which have backfired several times).

I've been working on a big video script about this for years, but I never get around to making it because it's too daunting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Smash turns 25....  based on Japanese release date.

Man....  what this started as, to where it is now....

Personal Smash 64 story:

I was intrigued by the game but never owned it.

I played it multiple times at a friend's house.

I found it way more accessible than other fighting games I had tried prior, and the novelty of Nintendo characters intrigued me.   I was ok at it for only playing it 3x, I believe my mains over the course of those plays were Samus, Link, and Mario.

That said, I found enough in the game to want to get the GC sequel Melee on launch day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...