Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

I wasn't sure if it was like a Geno thing

Like Ty mentioned with Capcom developing DuckTales, it's similar like Square Soft at the time developed and made Geno and is published by Nintendo. Geno is all SE so that is a little simpler to break down to an extent than Sora is with Disney and SE.

----------

I bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 on a whim a few years ago, and despite having the most Kudzu Plot Nomura could imagine, I honestly found its sheer campiness and charm endearing. So I'm so so happy to see Sora here, even if Disney *ahem* sanitized the less lawyer-friendly elements, and I genuinely do not think I've been this excited for a Smash newcomer. I've also held off on finishing World of Light (I've done it in spurts over the past few years), and will definitely see the storymode through to the end with Sora.

-------------

On 10/5/2021 at 3:04 PM, Tyranogre said:

Kingdom Hearts fans, I require your knowledge to complete the final tier list:

Does Sora fuck?

On one hand, Sora is a wholesome Disney characterTM and simply too unaware to know what sex is.

On the other hand, there is a point in Kingdom Hearts 3, where during a moment of desperation, Sora's and Riku's own keyblades fuse into one Keyblade which has a Paupo Fruit charm on one end end and a heart on the other, while the leifmotif "Dearly Beloved" plays before a stained-glass rainbow object. I can only assume this is a euphemism for an act that otherwise lacks any wholesome heterosexual explanation.

tumblr_plr2txljvU1s5noos_540.gifv

Anyway, there is a reason fans call it the gayblade.

(in all seriousness this is my queer ass reading too much into things but, like, I'll take what I can get. Also, while there is some merit to suggest Sora and Kairi end up together, it 100% has this shonen ending energy)

Edited by Stephen 776
3 hours ago, Stephen 776 said:

----------

I bought Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 on a whim a few years ago, and despite having the most Kudzu Plot Nomura could imagine, I honestly found its sheer campiness and charm endearing. So I'm so so happy to see Sora here, even if Disney *ahem* sanitized the less lawyer-friendly elements, and I genuinely do not think I've been this excited for a Smash newcomer. I've also held off on finishing World of Light (I've done it in spurts over the past few years), and will definitely see the storymode through to the end with Sora.

-------------

On one hand, Sora is a wholesome Disney characterTM and simply too unaware to know what sex is.

On the other hand, there is a point in Kingdom Hearts 3, where during a moment of desperation, Sora's and Riku's own keyblades fuse into one Keyblade which has a Paupo Fruit charm on one end end and a heart on the other, while the leifmotif "Dearly Beloved" plays before a stained-glass rainbow object. I can only assume this is a euphemism for an act that otherwise lacks any wholesome heterosexual explanation.

tumblr_plr2txljvU1s5noos_540.gifv

Anyway, there is a reason fans call it the gayblade.

(in all seriousness this is my queer ass reading too much into things but, like, I'll take what I can get. Also, while there is some merit to suggest Sora and Kairi end up together, it 100% has this shonen ending energy)

MV5BN2IxYmI3OGUtNmM5NS00YTAzLWJhM2MtNTkx

I thought you were referencing this masterpiece of cinema.

It just occurred to me, spirits were a thing in Ultimate because it would of been gargantuan task to make 1,496 spirits as 3D model trophies.

So does that mean whenever the next new Smash release with smaller roster and stuff, we will go back trophies or will have spirits again? Even from brief story perspective it made sense why they were spirits, if they were to use the spirit angle, what would be the reason beyond they are easier to implement, outside of story adventure mode of some kind?

I’d kinda prefer development time not be wasted on little things like trophies that people don’t pay much attention to in the long run. They had already lost their luster from game to game.

Regardless, I won’t be beating around the bush with speculation for whatever next game, especially with how ugly it’ll probably get with people fighting over whose cut or who they think will/should be cut or whatnot. I’d prefer they keep as many characters as possible, but some losses are inevitable.

Fans of x character may not get the next game if said character is cut, and that’s okay. Ultimate’s given me so much personal fulfillment with Ridley for instance, it’s hard for me to imagine a Smash without him now. I think him staying is pretty much a given though given how popular he’s gotten, how long he had been requested, and the flimsy logic on why he couldn’t work as a fighter being a thing of the past. He has a playable base to work off now like everyone else.

Regardless, I’ve had so much satisfaction from Ultimate, I wouldn’t be mad if it was my last Smash either as mentioned earlier. We’ve had nonstop Smash for the better part of a decade thanks to SSB4 and its DLC as mentioned also, and we’re due for a good break no matter how you spin it. I know for such a series the show must eventually go on, but this is undeniably Smash’s peak, a legendary game that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life no matter what kind of Smash comes after. Pretty much every newcomer from Ridley up to Sora was about making the impossible, possible.

Edited by Ridley Prime

I'm with Ridley Prime, tho my question was towards trophies I guess it couldn't be helped that asking or talking about begs what does Smash does next. Personally, it's not that I don't want to think about. Whatever happens, happens. I guess it is easier to say that when one experience Ultimate in all its glory so that why and how I don't think what's next characters wise or I guess features.

But to get into why characters were cut can be divided in 4 categories, legal reasons, technical reasons, development allotment, and successor series character. We can list the characters over the years that fit those 4 categories. I guess the question, if it wants to be asked who and when will this occur. As I said I don't wanna delve to deep, I guess on the who but I leave it at that on factors of cut characters whenever the next Smash comes along

Edited by DLurkster

I guess the only thing I miss from trophies in past games were mostly the information about the character/item/location of the trophy. It would have been nice to have something like that for spirits. Then again I guess the name of the spirit and what series it’s from is enough to just go and google the info of the spirit.

During the presents when Sakurai was showing the Hollow Bastion stage, when it transition to the station of awakening with the stain glass and the characters that show up there. The shot of Riku in there show art of him from Chain of Memories. You can see he holding the cards that you do battle in that game, as Sora did as well.

I bring this up, as the characters that were shown at the station of awakening, were all playable character throughout KH series, especially Riku playable start was CoM. Aqua, Terra, and Ventus on Birth By Sleep respectively. Roxas, the start of KH II. Xion, I am sure she wasn't playable, she was a boss at the end of the game but I believe she wasn't playable till KH III Remind DLC, when you are fighting along the guardians of lights against the 2nd last boss of the game.

That is interesting detail when it comes to playability and that image of Riku, they could used any image of Riku but went with his CoM illustration.

Related to this thread, it talks about the latest game coming to the cloud on Nintendo Switch.

I didn't realize there were that many cloud version games on Switch, I was aware of Japanese ones, the ones I wasn't aware of were the plague tales games. It's funny those 2 game made me realize there's a lot but good points for reason most suspected why KH games or any games moving forward to Switch is might be easier to do will go the cloud route unfortunately.

Kinda funny I suppose, also nice touch with Mickey and the norted eyes. Disney will never let that happen but I like the reference to KH3.

37 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Related to this thread, it talks about the latest game coming to the cloud on Nintendo Switch.

I didn't realize there were that many cloud version games on Switch, I was aware of Japanese ones, the ones I wasn't aware of were the plague tales games. It's funny those 2 game made me realize there's a lot but good points for reason most suspected why KH games or any games moving forward to Switch is might be easier to do will go the cloud route unfortunately.

Kinda funny I suppose, also nice touch with Mickey and the norted eyes. Disney will never let that happen but I like the reference to KH3.

I watched that video earlier too...

The ease of a cloud port is enticing but for the consumer, at least till the Switch works like a cell phone for internet connectivity, a cloud version is basically just playable at the house so in the house portable play is all you get because of the wifi connection needs which defeats the purpose of the Switch in my eyes.

But, like he said, someone must be buying these for them to keep getting released.

I do kind of wonder though, what are the performance drop offs from straight physical/digital download version vs. the cloud version ...if same... then why bother doing the port, if different then pricing has to reflect the alterations in funcionality.

19 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I watched that video earlier too...

The ease of a cloud port is enticing but for the consumer, at least till the Switch works like a cell phone for internet connectivity, a cloud version is basically just playable at the house so in the house portable play is all you get because of the wifi connection needs which defeats the purpose of the Switch in my eyes.

But, like he said, someone must be buying these for them to keep getting released.

I do kind of wonder though, what are the performance drop offs from straight physical/digital download version vs. the cloud version ...if same... then why bother doing the port, if different then pricing has to reflect the alterations in funcionality.

True, most ppl even if they don't use all the intended features of the Switch, it accurate for anyone to say that these cloud games defeat the purpose of the System. In that same sense of saying it is of use nonetheless and a option either Nintendo or the publisher decides to take, which is unfortunate.

Speaking of decision to go cloud or retail physical or digital, there's obvious difference yes. It cost to obviously pay any storefront put out goods but I don't think that is the issue or performance per se less so just the simple act and cost porting an IP like KH, as mention in that video it seems simple to port a game that has been port twice from PS2 to PS3 and again PS4. I believe it the port from PS3 to PS4 was easier but still cost money regardless so even tho KH 1.5 & 2.5 can be port there still a tallying cost to port a game that has been ported some many times. So I am not surprised by IP and Square to go the cloud route unfortunately. Again, no matter the game 1.5 to 3 (well maybe more 3) I don't think that much sacrifice would be made if it was ported Switch. If we can compare games like Witcher 3 and Doom and Doom Eternal, they had there sacrifice in performance in good taste and compromise so tho we saw stuff like that, we can't be certain if this could of been the case for these game, big IP or not. All the above no matter the method how the game comes to Switch the price won't be higher or lower. It would be the same and this would be the case with any game that would be cloud or not whether it is prolific or not like SE and how they will try get you with their taxes and stuff.

Also, like to add that despite the long development of KH3 going from Kingdom Shader to Unreal Engine 4, it's not that Square or whoever would develop for the Switch would run into issue or take long or cost. (tho cost is prominent factor) But just to avoid the possible issue and headaches ontop of what was already ported so many times, clouding it was something SE choose as their only option because it was simply easier.

This is the opposite when the made their own engine for FFXV they were already deep in development to change gears like KH3 did so they didn't want to make the same mistake twice when finishing making KH3. Regardless, its cost avoiding cost for the sake cost with SE at the time between FFXV and KH3, especially when you had directors changing hands between these two games at the time. That connecting thread was Tetsyua Nomura