Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

PokeFloats falls into a sub-category of stages that consist of simple platforms floating around a background of a well-known game.

Delfino Plaza, Skyloft, and Rainbow Cruise also fall into this category.

These stages are great for fanservice because they allow you stare at familiar scenery without having it constantly try to kill you.

That wasn't my issue with it, it was the balloon hopping.

8 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

That wasn't my issue with it, it was the balloon hopping.

God, Little Mac would be so fucked on that stage. That's proabably why you pick the stage before the fighters now, lol.

12 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Delfino Plaza, Skyloft, and Rainbow Cruise also fall into this category.

Real talk, I love Rainbow Cruise. If it comes back, I hope it's omega form is just the ship. Of course, slightly modified to be flat and syntactical.

36 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

The only stage I could see possibly not return might be Miiverse

You know? If they brought Miiverse back, it'd be great if they used their favorite submissions for each character. That way it could be appropriate, and still be a nice little historical footnote. And some lucky fans could even have their doodles an actual Smash game forever. But that might be too hopeful.

Edited by Marxforever
8 minutes ago, WING-X said:

I was wondering do you guys buy the dlc for smash on wii u and 3ds? 

I did buy the Stages and Characters for both versions, since if you bought it for both it was cheaper than buying it individually. However I only bought the Mii Outfits for the Wii U version to save a few bucks. I'm actually a little irritated since I can't find my 3DS cart, it's been lost for a little while now, and it's not like me to misplace a game. I'm planning to move soon, so I hope it shows up when I tear my room apart.

Edited by Marxforever
1 minute ago, Marxforever said:

I did buy the Stages and Characters for both versions, since if you bought it for both it was cheaper than buying it individually. However I only bought the Mii Outfits for the Wii U version to save a few bucks. I'm actually a little irritated since I can't find my 3DS, it's been lost for a little while now, and it's not like me to misplace a game. I'm planning to move soon, so I hope it shows up when I tear my room apart.

That kind of sucks you lost it hope you find it  ;)

I was wait for this thread to made, if not I was gonna make one tomorrow. Anyways......I'm gonna quadruple post here everyday.

-------

I never thought how custom moves will come back but with the Miifighters it all seem possible unless it only applies to them somehow. I'm not a opposed to them, (tho never used them a lot or at all) but I do agree. I wish there was a easier way to get them all.

1 hour ago, Marxforever said:

You know? If they brought Miiverse back, it'd be great if they used their favorite submissions for each character. That way it could be appropriate, and still be a nice little historical footnote. And some lucky fans could even have their doodles an actual Smash game forever. But that might be too hopeful.

Only thoughts i was thinking for it to work would either be using pre-selected messages or using a message/posting system like Splatoon 2... whether or not it would have to be heavily monitored may be debatable

Or we could get Inkopolis Square stage from 1/2 with a similar system - that could also possibly work

Yeah, the only way to get messages to appear on the stage is to do it ala Splatoon Inkopolis Square. Better yet have that as another Splatoon 2 stage. The only other stage that can....hold up.

Picto Chat 2 can be that stage perhaps, somehow.

@Ridley Prime Bonus points for the add series sound effect when Mario and Mega Man were vanquished. Other than that everything was one to one with original trailer.

12 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

I want a single player campaign similar to SSE, but I know it's not gonna happen...

I never wanted SSE to return.  IMO, it has basically no replay value and just isn't very fun.  My understanding is that Sakurai and his team spent a lot of time and resources creating that for Brawl, and I always wished they had just gone with something more simple like Melee's adventure mode and added more characters instead.  The best part of SSE, the cutscenes, live on...in the form of the newcomer reveal trailers we get, and they are way more hype and stylized than what the SSE had.

Part of the problem for me is that doing an SSE properly would be like Kingdom Hearts levels of effort.  It would almost have to be a massive, separate project unto itself.  You would need fully realized worlds based off of each series, as opposed to the approach SSE did where they had areas that were vaguely themed like the featured characters' worlds.  Eg: You had a jungle, but it wasn't DK Island.  You had a castle, but it wasn't Archanea or Crimea.  You had underground base, but it wasn't anything from Metroid.  The only actual fully-realized location was Halberd.  You'd also need to actually try to properly present the personalities of all the characters, which given we have over 60 now, would be nearly impossible.  In SSE, almost all of the characters were very simplified versions of themselves.  They felt like automatons, who just did things because they are living trophies based off a character who behaves in certain ways.  "Beep boop, I am Marth, I guard castle because Fire Emblem has castles, boop bop".  Really though, one thing that I think would have went a long way would be if they at least had more enemies from different series, like Smash Run does.  Having a bunch of generic made-up enemies with a few Mario enemies thrown in was strange.

I prefer Melee's approach more, because it's less resource intensive and it doesn't pretend to be more than it is.  It's more arcadey, and even though it still has some of the theming issues SSE has (the "Underground Dungeon" isn't especially Zelda-like...it's pretty generic), it doesn't pretend to be some grand epic where worlds collide.  It's taking you through a quick 20 minute tour with themed challenges.

At my most nostalgic, I view the SSE as an interesting experiment that gives Brawl something unique.  I won't lie, despite my having a lot of issues and preferring that it be cut in favor of adding more characters to Brawl, I do sometimes get nostalgic for it.  So I get where the sentiment of bringing it back comes from.  I just don't think it's feasible add it in a way that gives the concept proper justice.  And if they did try to add it, I don't think they'd be able to do "Everyone is here!" AND bring back over 80 stages from previous games, and to me that is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more worth it.

My overall impressions of this game so far is that Sakurai is a madman / wizard who is going to probably destroy the world by making this game too awesome.  Between giving Ganondorf his sword, giving him his Ocarina of Time design, giving Zelda her A Link to the Past/Between Worlds design (which I didn't even know I wanted), bringing back every veteran including Snake, giving Ike both his Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn designs, adding Ridley, giving Pokemon Trainer a Leaf alt costume, and a ton of quality of life improvements, and somehow bringing back a metric fuckton of stages while updating the assets for non-N64 stages, it's like he read my mind.  Hell, I never even wanted Daisy, but with so much positive shit thrown at me during that Smash Bros. information blowout, I was excited for her.  "Fuck yeah, Daisy, I'll play as her, sure!  She still uses Toad, that's kinda weird.  But oh well!"

There are only a handful of things I'd request on top of what he's already done, and I feel bad for even asking any more since he's done far more than I'd ever expect him to and made me extremely happy, but these are the things:
1.  Give Samus her Fusion Suit as an alt-costume. -- The palette swap has always been nice, but I feel like the Fusion Suit is worthy of its own model.  I think it would be good for Samus to have her most iconic design (the Varia suit) and her most canonically-recent design (the Fusion Suit, since Fusion is the latest game in the timeline; it could even have an orange palette swap based on the end of Fusion).  The non-Varia Power suit would be another good option, but I would totally be content with Varia and Fusion Suit.  I don't want to ask too much of Sakurai.
2.  Give Ganondorf his Twilight Princess design as an alt-costume. --  I am absolutely hyped Ganondorf has his OoT design.  I was never a fan of his TP design, because he seemed old and fat, and much less intimidating.  His OoT design is much more menacing.  He's young, muscley, full of life, and ready to murder.  That said, I never wanted his TP design removed.  (Especially given that the OoT Ganondorf and the TP Ganondorf are literally the same incarnation...as is the TWW Ganondorf.  Ganondorf doesn't reincarnate nearly as often as Link/Zelda/Impa do.)  I just wanted another option.  So if Sakurai can add the TP design back as an alt-costume, that would be super.  If not, I'll totally take what I can get here and be happy with the amazing OoT design.
3.  Make Alph a real boy--an echo fighter. -- Honestly I'm shocked Sakurai didn't make Alph an echo fighter...he still seems to be an Olimar alt.  I just figured that since Sakurai had intended Alph to be an echo fighter in SSB4, that he would naturally become one in Ultimate.  And who knows, maybe there is still time.  Give him Rock Pikmin instead of Purple, and maybe Flying Pikmin instead of White, change his Final Smash to use the SS Drake instead of the Dolphin, and call it a character.

--

For anyone keeping track, these are the stages that AREN'T YET confirmed to be returning:

Spoiler

N64:
Kongo Jungle (probably coming back, since they renamed "Kongo Jungle (Melee)" to "Kongo Falls")
Mushroom Kingdom (64)
Peach's Castle
Planet Zebes
Sector Z

Melee:
Brinstar Depths (although there is a remix for it on the site, so it is probably coming back)
Fountain of Dreams
Flat Zone
Icicle Mountain
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)
Mute City (Melee)
Poke Floats
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Brawl:
Delfino Plaza
Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Pirate Ship

3DS:
Dream Land (3DS)
Golden Plains
Mute City (3DS)
Pac-Maze

Wii U:
Paper Mario
Rainbow Road
Gamer
Jungle Hijinx
Miiverse
Orbital Gate Assault
Pyrosphere
Windy Hill Zone
Woolly World

Not sure:
There are screenshots of a Pictochat stage, but as far as I can tell, there's no way to confirm whether it's Pictochat from Brawl or Pictochat 2 from 3DS.

There is a Game & Watch stage, but it's impossible to tell whether it's Flat Zone 2 from Brawl or Flat Zone X from Wii U.  It's definitely not original Flat Zone though, as the screenshot as the blue border around the Game & Watch screen, which is consistent with Flat Zone 2/X, but not Flat Zone (which has a red border).

So that is 84 stages confirmed, 34 stages unconfirmed (including either/ors for Flat Zone 2/X and Pictochat 1/2)

--
For another list, if you assume that all stages that appeared in Smash 3DS and Wii U are coming back, this is what remains:

Spoiler

N64:
Mushroom Kingdom (64)
Planet Zebes
Sector Z

Melee:
Brinstar Depths
Fountain of Dreams
Flat Zone
Icicle Mountain
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee)

Mute City (Melee)
Poke Floats
Rainbow Cruise

Brawl:
Hanenbow
Mario Bros.
Rumble Falls

Again, same caveat that Flat Zone 2 or Pictochat might need to be listed here, depending on what versions are actually in the screenshots.

And out of those, I feel like some of them are shoe-ins.  Brinstar Depths due to the remix, Fountain of Dreams due to popularity, and Mute City (Melee) based off of nostalgia.  And from there...hell, I think Sakurai is just going to add all the stages if he can.  I really think he's lost his mind.  I'm tempted to call that he's going to all every Final Destination and Battlefield form from past games (including N64, which didn't have them playable in versus) along with Meta Crystal.  I really don't want to get my hopes up, but Sakurai has just been blowing away my expectations so I don't know what to think anymore.

Edited by Cryptic

I really hope echo fighters are not there just for a few characters, but I think that'll be the case. Personally, I would probably want Dry Bowser as an echo fighter the most, and I think they need to play up the fan service through Olimar with Louie, Alph, Charlie and Brittany. Beyond that, I just hope a single player like in Melee makes a return. I never completed SSE and wasn't really going back to it once I reached the Great Maze or whatever it was. Melee's adventure mode I was replaying a number of times, and if that's complemented by a Challenges and Smash Run mode I think the single player content would be golden. If they're bringing back all characters, I hope that applies to stages as well. They already have confirmed Pokemon Stadium form Melee which is my favorite stage in the series, and would love to see Mute City and Fountain of Dreams brought back from the same game.

8 hours ago, Cryptic said:

Make Alph a real boy--an echo fighter. -- Honestly I'm shocked Sakurai didn't make Alph an echo fighter...he still seems to be an Olimar alt.  I just figured that since Sakurai had intended Alph to be an echo fighter in SSB4, that he would naturally become one in Ultimate.  And who knows, maybe there is still time.  Give him Rock Pikmin instead of Purple, and maybe Flying Pikmin instead of White, change his Final Smash to use the SS Drake instead of the Dolphin, and call it a character.

Honestly, I think some characters are better off as alts costumes. After all, Echo Fighters aren't entirely Identical, they have different properties like how Lucina's Sword doesn't have a weakspot and sweetspot, rather it has even power throughout, or how Dark Pit's arrows control differently, his Upperdash has it's own effect and launch trajectory. and he has a completely different Final Smash. Compare this to Alph, Leaf, Larry, Ludvig, Wendy, Roy, Lemmy, Morton and Iggy who are all completely identical model swaps.

Now, if Alph were to have Rock Pikmin instead of say, Purple? Like if Rock Pikmin did less damage than Purples, but went flying much farther and still caused knock-back. Then yeah, make him an Echo Fighter. Do it up.

Edited by Marxforever