Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Maybe, maybe not. NDA’s a thing and they could always just be pretending to not know anything as opposed to spilling the beans to get people speculating. Their statement seems vague enough anyway.

People always see what they want to see on this stuff regardless though. I don’t have a particular attachment to Hayabusa, but think he’d be a cool addition as another one of the early stars of gaming.

5 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Maybe, maybe not. NDA’s a thing and they could always just be pretending to not know anything as opposed to spilling the beans to get people speculating. Their statement seems vague enough anyway.

People always see what they want to see on this stuff regardless though. I don’t have a particular attachment to Hayabusa, but think he’d be a cool addition as another one of the early stars of gaming

He's gotta be there if we got Simon/Richter!  The laws of the universe demand it!  Not sure how I would do his stage though....  Maybe Onett-like...but in the ng style with lamps for items...    He could have some cool moves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Old.

I thought this was talking point about the invitations of Smash on MyNintendo that there will be Smash Invitational at digital E3. Wishful thinking as I don't think anybody or Nintendo want to host one with happened with them and supporting legacy Smash titles and the scandals last year.

This probably would of been good post on the MyNintendo thread that this is restocked, it's cool but as I said old if no one didn't know about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting for his top 10.

I'll just list mine with no reason for now but is base on how the character feels to me more than means to me. Both are important to me but at the end of day, you are the one playing them.

10. Banjo-Kazooie

9. Min Min

8. Piranha Plant

7. Terry

6. Joker

5. Steve

4. Byleth

3. Hero

2. Sephiroth

1. Pyra/Mythra

• 1 month later...

Interesting bit of trivia:

All the trailers for Fighter's pass 2 prior to this one had been devoid of any other characters from Fighter's pass 2, presumably because the six characters were worked on simultaneously, and the trailers were made so as not to spoil any additional characters besides the one that each trailer was made for.

Min-Min getting dumped into the lava marks the first time a DLC character from the same Fighter's pass has appeared in a new trailer that isn't their own.

Hero and Banjo were shown in Sephiroth's trailer, but they were already in the previous pass.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

I hate all these new trailers of characters literally getting killed.

Starting on that note really helped me be even more un-hyped than usual for whoever this next DLC fighter is.

On the contrary, it makes it easier to make memes like this:

Interesting that Sakurai said during the direct that at the moment of his recording, that the recording for Kazuya isn't done yet. I think that is the first time he every said that. He just normally announce a date and it is out. Why state even tho previously recorded that the next recording is recorded yet.

That is literally less than 2 weeks from now. I remember when we had the first presents in 2020, Sakurai mentions how hard is to record in general so how it was scale down for safety reasons made it a little more difficulty. From where he told us next presents in, he is in the office so I wonder if they are just translating now and maybe the recording is actually done.

20 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

@Tyranogre Okay, memes, but this is Smash, not Mortal Kombat. This was the one fighting series that wasn't about brutality and murder.

Yeah, I've noticed they have played the "death" card a lot this time around in Smash.  Maybe because they went more super villain adds....  maybe in attempt to appear more "mature"...ehhh

5 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Yeah, I've noticed they have played the "death" card a lot this time around in Smash.  Maybe because they went more super villain adds....  maybe in attempt to appear more "mature"...ehhh

It's definitely to seem more mature. Nintendo is well aware that younger and casual audiences are shifting to not just phone games, but now also cheap multiplayer fads. So the strategy for Ultimate has been to appeal more to the competitive scene. Giving up its main advantage over other games, yet still not faring well in the competitive fighting scene, even before the pandemic.

I was never one to doubt Sakurai's skills before, but Ultimate's designs have made a lot of questionable calls.

Whether it's a traditional or platform fighter, a fighting game is a fighting game, which will usually have various levels of violence... I can't believe we're really going there, and Smash would still need a lot more violence to be compared to Mortal Kombat. All the trailer "deaths" have been in-character too far as hyping up the newcomers, so I see nothing wrong with them, even if it's done in part to look more edgy now or whatever.

Smash 4 appealed to the competitive scene more than the series did prior too, but didn't see any complaining about that. The best thing about Ultimate though is just being the most balanced game in the series by far, despite having the biggest roster. Quite an accomplishment, and regardless of how well Ultimate does competitively in the long run (though hope it has a good run despite things getting rocky from the pandemic), game still made over 22 million sales worldwide, a plateau that no other Smash has reached.