Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

If you go back and watch Cloud's trailer, it very specifically said Super Smash Bros X Final Fantasy VII. This trailer just says Final Fantasy. 

Given their track record, I don't expect we'll be getting a lot of music tracks, but that distinction makes me wonder about the possibility. Could we be getting songs from other Final Fantasy games as well? 

4 minutes ago, blcdude1 said:

If you go back and watch Cloud's trailer, it very specifically said Super Smash Bros X Final Fantasy VII. This trailer just says Final Fantasy. 

Given their track record, I don't expect we'll be getting a lot of music tracks, but that distinction makes me wonder about the possibility. Could we be getting songs from other Final Fantasy games as well? 

CLASH ON THE MOTHER FUCKING BIG BRIDGE

There are a lot of songs from 1-7 and 9 I would consider. (With remixes in mind) (I'll think about X maybe.) 

Battle Theme from Final Fantasy (Black Mages)

Opening Theme from Final Fantasy (DISSIDIA)

Chaos Shrine from Final Fantasy (DISSIDIA)

The Crystal Tower from Final Fantasy III (DISSIDIA)  

Battle Theme from Final Fantasy IV

Golbez Clad In The Dark from Final Fantasy IV

The Dreadful Fight (Elemental Archfiends Theme) from Final Fantasy IV (Distant Worlds)

Boss Theme from Final Fantasy IV

Clash on the Big Bridge from Final Fantasy V (Black Mages)

Neo-Exdeath from Final Fantasy V (Black Mages)

Protect The Espers from Final Fantasy VI (DISSIDIA)     

Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy VI (Black Mages)  

Kefka's Tower from Final Fantasy VI 

Battle to the Death from Final Fantasy VI 

The Veldt from Final Fantasy VI 

Metamorphosis from Final Fantasy VI

The Decisive Battle from Final Fantasy VI

Searching for Friends from Final Fantasy VI

Those Chosen by the Planet from Final Fantasy VII 

Mako Reactor from Final Fantasy VII 

The Shinra Corporation from Final Fantasy VII 

Crazy Motorcyle Chase from Final Fantasy VII 

Birth of a God from Final Fantasy VII 

Judgement Day from Final Fantasy VII

J-E-N-O-V-A from Final Fantasy VII (Distant Worlds)

Jenova Absolute from Final Fantasy VII (Distant Worlds)  

Aerith's Theme from Final Fantasy VII (Distant Worlds)

The Gold Saucer from Final Fantasy VII

Crystal World from Final Fantasy IX

Assault of the Silver Dragons from Final Fantasy IX (Black Mages) 

Hunters' Chance (Festival of the Hunt Theme) from Final Fantasy IX (Black Mages) 

The Dark Messenger (Trance Kuja Battle) from Final Fantasy IX

Vamo Alla Flanco from Final Fantasy IX (Black Mages) 

You're Not Alone! from Final Fantasy IX

Edited by Link, the Hero of Dreams

This still doesn't feel real to me. No third-party series has gotten a second unique rep--not even Sonic, who's been here since Brawl. And Sephiroth isn't just from the same series as Cloud--they're from the same game. Not even Nintendo has gotten two unique reps from a single title. And this honor goes to Square Enix, the most ungrateful collaborator, who gave Sakurai no assets beyond the bare minimum fighter, stage, and two songs?

And on top of all that, he's yet another anime swordsman. He's cool and it's good to get more antagonists, but there are so many characters and developers who deserved this spot over Sephiroth and Square Enix. Nintendo's letting themselves get pushed around, and Sephiroth probably doesn't appeal to many people who didn't already buy the DLC.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

This still doesn't feel real to me. No third-party series has gotten a second unique rep--not even Sonic, who's been here since Brawl. And Sephiroth isn't just from the same series as Cloud--they're from the same game. Not even Nintendo has gotten two unique reps from a single title.

Ryu and Ken says hi and of course there's Mega Man but he's from his own series from Capcom.

I could mention another but they are not from the same game but same parent company SEGA, Sonic and Bayonetta.

Ah, yes for unique in the same game 3rd party, Square Enix got it. He's also a villain so that's a plus but we must dock some points because he's another anime sword user but he's Sephiroth.

Ah, man Sephiroth is an enigma, he awesome, an villain but another sword character.

Sega, despite all its characters from different series are pretty unique.

Listing all 3rd party playable ties in Ultimate:

Sega: Have 3 playable characters rep

Konami: Have 3 playable characters rep

Capcom: Have 3 playable characters rep

Bamco: Have only 1 playable character rep

Square Enix: Have 3 playable characters rep

Microsoft: Have 2 playable characters rep

SNK: Have 1 playable character rep

That's all the 3rd party in Ultimate? Hmm, I would of thought one of the 3rd parties would have more than 3 characters. Out of the seven 3rd parties in Ultimate, 4 of them have 3 reps, interesting....

4q0on8.jpg.452effc618497f48ca49f11af7bf5978.jpg

Sephiroth in my opinion is the best addition since Banjo, at least. Easily among my top 5 for Ultimate newcomers. There's little that is more surreal than seeing hero/villain rivalries come full circle in Smash, be it 1st or 3rd party. Sephy's one of the most renowned villains in gaming too, up there with Bowser and the rest of Nintendo's rogue gallery... He more than deserves it.

Edited by Ridley Prime
5 hours ago, Destiny Hero said:

And this honor goes to Square Enix, the most ungrateful collaborator, who gave Sakurai no assets beyond the bare minimum fighter, stage, and two songs?

This is my only real issue with Sephiroth. Final Fantasy has some incredible music, and I don’t expect to get many new tracks, certainly not 50 a la Terry Bogard. 

Seeing as we got eight tracks for Hero, I want at least that many for Sephiroth. Even eight isn’t enough given the caliber of Final Fantasy music. I suppose we’ll find out how much soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Ridley Prime said:

4q0on8.jpg.452effc618497f48ca49f11af7bf5978.jpg

Sephiroth in my opinion is the best addition since Banjo, at least. Easily among my top 5 for Ultimate newcomers. There's little that is more surreal than seeing hero/villain rivalries come full circle in Smash, be it 1st or 3rd party. Sephy's one of the most renowned villains in gaming too, up there with Bowser and the rest of Nintendo's rogue gallery... He more than deserves it.

Robotnik for Sonic and/or Dr. Wily for Mega Man then?

I can appreciate it but this is a similar wait time between Banjo is September last year to Terry in November last year. Before than it was Hero in July and Joker in April. Of course we can't forget Piranha plant in February.

Getting 3 DLC 2 characters is not what I was expecting but if we got 5 last year (4 if exclude PP) we could of got 4 next year. A good split for development this year with 3 and 3 next year.

54 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Some have also speculated Bison now, but I think Street Fighter and by extension Capcom already has plenty characters in, though won’t complain if he happens.

If Capcom gets another rep, people are going to be pissed, because Capcom has so many characters people want to see in. 

If it’s Bison, people will complain it’s another Street Fighter character. Street Fighter fans might even complain, considering the popularity of Chun-Li. 

I’ve personally advocated for Amaterasu, I’ve seen plenty of people requesting Phoenix Wright, and Dante’s name always crops up when talking about DLC. 

Then, of course, there are series like Monster Hunter or Resident Evil. There is even Darkstalkers, though Morrigan likely falls into Mai territory. 

No one Capcom representative can satisfy all that fan demand.