Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

15 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Does anyone recall why Pichu even got into Melee?  I just can't see him having "that something special" to be nominated for being a playable Pokemon in Melee.

My guess is Pichu being the "cute" mascot for those games, though I'm not sure if there were better candidates.  Plus I'm sure it made it easier to design him after Pikachu rather than using a wholly new character in its place.  Just my guess I suppose.

But what I'm wondering, is there anything redeeming of Pichu as a playable character considering it hurts itself and is fairly weak?  Or is it kind of like the "Dan" of the Smash series?

9 minutes ago, Kezay said:

My guess is Pichu being the "cute" mascot for those games, though I'm not sure if there were better candidates.  Plus I'm sure it made it easier to design him after Pikachu rather than using a wholly new character in its place.  Just my guess I suppose.

But what I'm wondering, is there anything redeeming of Pichu as a playable character considering it hurts itself and is fairly weak?  Or is it kind of like the "Dan" of the Smash series?

I was gonna say who is Dan again, then it hit like a flick to the forehead. Well I don't see him as Dan but I suppose some do look at Pichu as the Dan of Smash. Tho, I agree about mascot thing. He's the prevolve form of Pikachu and just basing a moveset off of Pikachu as clone, with the side effect of hurting itself was way to kill two birds with one stone, with another character, and one that is recognizable but slightly different from the original.

18 minutes ago, Kezay said:

I mean... I was going down the train of thought that Pichu is too alike to Pikachu that why wouldn't they have done some other Pokemon.  I mean, as I recall, the only Pokes in that game were Pikachu and Jiggs.  Why add a worse move set Pikachu clone instead of someone else from the Pokemon games?  Wasn't Squirtle getting mad love at that time LOL...  I mean I am not the biggest Pokemon guy.... he just seems like a super odd choice.  I mean, in Brawl, Pokemon trainer had 3 unique move set Pokes to use.  In Smash 4 Greninja completely unique so...

2 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I mean... I was going down the train of thought that Pichu is too alike to Pikachu that why wouldn't they have done some other Pokemon.  I mean, as I recall, the only Pokes in that game were Pikachu and Jiggs.  Why add a worse move set Pikachu clone instead of someone else from the Pokemon games?  Wasn't Squirtle getting mad love at that time LOL...  I mean I am not the biggest Pokemon guy.... he just seems like a super odd choice.  I mean, in Brawl, Pokemon trainer had 3 unique move set Pokes to use.  In Smash 4 Greninja completely unique so...

Agreed.  They could have chosen a different Pokemon to represent Gold/Silver for that game to be a unique fighter all its own. Even going the cutesy mascot route they could have gone with Marill or something.

39 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Agreed.  They could have chosen a different Pokemon to represent Gold/Silver for that game to be a unique fighter all its own. Even going the cutesy mascot route they could have gone with Marill or something.

I would of liked the marill. Pikablu ftw.

Plus, it would of been the first water Pokemon before Squirtle of Pokemon Trainer for Brawl.

16 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Does anyone recall why Pichu even got into Melee?  I just can't see him having "that something special" to be nominated for being a playable Pokemon in Melee.

Given this is Melee, the fact PIchu could easily lend itself to a clone was probably a huge factor. Pichu being recognizable enough a Pokemon at the time helped immensely, but if Melee was given a Brawl-long development cycle, a legitimate question is if Pichu would have been at all. 

Edited by KefkaFFVI

More and more it seems like they're justifying having clones by differentiating them from the original characters. Roy is now different enough from Marth that they play totally differently. Lucas was always a more technical character than Ness. Dr. Mario was brought back for the people who missed having Mario Tornado as their down special. Young Link preserves the classic Link moveset while standard Link adopts Breath of the Wild weaponry. I have a feeling Pichu will be changed up a little bit this time around, or at least given a power boost to make up for him hurting himself.

I remember when Melee used to kinda make me want to have Mew as a Pichu esque gameplay clone of Mewtwo. Good times... Not like Smash will likely ever get another playable psychic type regardless. Deoxys seemed like the biggest contender pre-Brawl, but y'know.

And then there's Meowth... Poor Meowth fans. I know we have more than enough gen 1 with everyone returning now and I'm not trying to be a genwunner, but still. #feelsbad for some.

On 7/7/2018 at 9:11 PM, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

Once again, Mario or Dr. Mario?  I face this every Smash generation with multiple Marios.

IDK.... I could never make Mario nor Dr. Mario work for me.  Sad that Smash 64 is the only one where  I felt I could actually do something with Mario.

1 minute ago, DLurkster said:

Read the article for this. It's good read especially when he talks about Smash feel of speed and tempo up to Ultimate.

I'll freely admit that Brawl slowed down from the game speed of Melee... and that kind of took me away from some characters I liked to use in Melee.  I found 4 to be fine.  I wouldn't mind sped up game play for Ultimate.

5 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

I'll freely admit that Brawl slowed down from the game speed of Melee... and that kind of took me away from some characters I liked to use in Melee.  I found 4 to be fine.  I wouldn't mind sped up game play for Ultimate.

But the article shared the reasons for this because of two factors the system and the audience associated with it. I'd say the only thing that may hold this title from being the best thing competitively, is the audience on Switch. I'm not making seem like the audience is the overall undoing to this Smash but both of best worlds when it comes to casuals meets core with Switch. It's just who will be the majority who own this Smash with what the Switch broad audience. 

There's nothing really holding back the game technical wise and though the temp is better, to the really Melee competitive; I'm obviously no pro and nor do I speak them but I would think they would like faster but the game is not final yet so who knows how the end product to 6 months after release will reveal.

I was randomly watching some scenes from the Smash Wii U the 50 fact extravaganza direct and then it hit me...no VC no masterpieces.

We know Nintendo Switch Online is coming in September and that there will be subscription to 20 classic NES titles. Some of those game announced for that service have appeared masterpieces in previous Smash titles as Brawl and Sm4sh.

How and if will this work in Ultimate? Will there be no masterpiece?