Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Steve looks to be an insanely fun character to play and while there are still plenty unhappy with him being included it's nice to see that opinions have improved seeing the amount of effort that went into bringing him and the world of Minecraft to life in this fashion.  That being said, I am a fan of Max Dood's response to this whole thing and the idea some have of characters considered a waste of a slot just because it doesn't gel with who they think should be in Smash.

All I will say is that when it feels like anyone can get in based on choices made and then your someone doesn't get in... the hateorade starts for the salty ones.

Personally I am not a Minecraft player but i respect its presence in video games enough that I get why it's there, and the fact the team put the effort into making this work.

I was gonna post that video. It's a really good video with a good takeaway in how to approach Steve. The only reason I didn't post it is that towards the end, to me it sort of gets off of topic and tho it is a long video statistically ppl don't watch long vids, they could just watch what is relevant to the vids title, I didn't post it because of the length and so thought irrelevance.

@Kezay: How are you feeling about Travis Touchdown as a MiiSwordfighter in Ultimate?

I am not bitter but Steve like Max, I haven't played Minecraft but no one had to tell me to recognize the massive video game significance that game brings to the industry and now Smash.

That Travis reveal was like sneak gut punch and I am still feeling it now. I should be grateful he's in any fashion. I do deep in my core but it's too much get over the possible fact that Travis Touchdown may not be an actually fighter.

Edited by DLurkster
7 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I was gonna post that video. It's a really good video with a good takeaway in how to approach Steve. The only reason I didn't post it is that towards the end, to me it sort of gets off of topic and tho it is a long video statistically ppl don't watch long vids, they could just watch what is relevant to the vids title, I didn't post it because of the length and so thought irrelevance.

@Kezay: How are you feeling about Travis Touchdown as a MiiSwordfighter in Ultimate?

I am not bitter but Steve like Max, I haven't played Minecraft but no had to tell me to recognize the massive video game significance that game brings to the industry and now Smash.

That Travis revela was like sneak gut punch snd I am still feeling it now. I should be grateful he's in any fashion. I do deep in my core but it's too much get over the possible fact that Travis Touchdown may not be actually fighter.

Don't get me wrong, I would for sure prefer that Travis be an actual addition to the roster, but I'm glad that he got representation all the same.  I'm sure Sakurai could have done some great things mixing up a sword fighter's moveset with some wrestling moves and there's more than enough material to really do him justice.  I just wish his Mii Fighter inclusion also came with some choice music tracks from the series.

As for Minecraft, I was never super deep into it but playing with Krazy the few times that we did for extended sessions I definitely understood the appeal behind it.  And that was a very high level perspective as we didn't nearly scratch the surface from a gameplay perspective as the hardcore Minecraft community does.  The game was and still is an undeniable phenomenon and will go down as being a historical great within the industry.  From that angle Minecraft's inclusion makes a lot of sense especially as Smash has gone well beyond being a celebration of Nintendo's history to being a celebration of gaming in general.  I know you understand all of this, just retreading the message I suppose, heh heh.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, blcdude1 said:

Speaking of Mii Costumes: Are there any Mii Costumes you'd like to see? To spitball a few: 

Gunners: Curly Brace & Quote, Cave Story; Ulala, Space Channel 5; Nemesis, Resident Evil

Swordfighters: Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight; Pious Augustus, Eternal Darkness (Skeleton version); Vyse, Skies of Arcadia

Brawlers: Doc Louis, Punch Out; Commander Video, Bit.Trip; King, Tekken 

Just off the top of my head. 

Just a couple to start off:

Gunner: Marco (Metal Slug)

Brawler: Billy/Jimmy Lee (Double Dragon)

On 10/3/2020 at 1:12 PM, blcdude1 said:

Speaking of Mii Costumes: Are there any Mii Costumes you'd like to see? To spitball a few: 

Gunners: Curly Brace & Quote, Cave Story; Ulala, Space Channel 5; Nemesis, Resident Evil

Swordfighters: Shovel Knight, Shovel Knight; Pious Augustus, Eternal Darkness (Skeleton version); Vyse, Skies of Arcadia

Brawlers: Doc Louis, Punch Out; Commander Video, Bit.Trip; King, Tekken 

Just off the top of my head. 

Brawler: Miriam (Bloodstained)

Swordfighter: The Knight (Hollow Knight)

Gunner: Mirai (Senran Kagura)

I never thought or maybe just forgot that the first DLC pass was test to see if a DLC pass 2 will be worth it, that and to bring out bigger name video game characters to Smash.

Tho characters for DLC pass 2 are already determined, I don''t those were determined the same time when the first DLC pass one were chosen. In the Sakurai presents last year for Terry announced that there's more DLC characters coming, a little before then Nintendo already lined up characters they want to put in Smash to Sakurai, if Steve was chosen this early in DLC pass 2 I can only imagine what they have next lined since they proved with the first pass that this is not only lucrative for Nintendo but those who team up with Nintendo will benefit as well. All the proof we needed this to happen was the success of the first pass.

When the amiibo for Steve comes out 2022, I'm naming him, 'entrapment'

The above video got me wildin' with edgegod technology.

Also, Nintendo tweeted, I think yesterday that rest of DLC pass amiibo will come out fall 2021. I was thinking why that long...the answer is obvious they are 3rd party amiibo besides the production, (outside of the pandemic) like Steve and how long the talks took to get in Smash, the same have to be done with the likeness of those remain DLC 3rd part characters as figurines.

So I don't think we see Steve till at least 2022. But with the tweet mysterious gone, I wonder for the first time with amiibo release window they may say it is earlier? But I still think talk of likeness is still a hold back in accuracy.

------

EDIT: My grief with Travis Touchdown as MiiSwordfighter is not at bay, haven't thought about in 2 days and accept the fact what is present with us and realize Travis is in Smash in some form.

Edited by DLurkster

I want a character I can build a legacy with...fade to black...

I want to be able to craft my personality into this character gameplay...fade to black....

I want this character to be so hype, it crashes the internet.....fade to black....

STEVE ROCKS THE BLOCK!

Nintendo: Why don't you master your edgeguarding with them blocks, chief!

Welp, I would say it is less than 24hrs till Steve's release but as of this post there's no maintenance update at the usual time at 9pm EST. In the past when new characters is due, there would be maintenance at that time. I never really paid attention how far in advance those notices go up but regardless we had maintenance update then new character around 9pm EST.

Let's hope there's one and on time at its usual time for our Smash night tomorrow starts at 9pm so for those who come this will be a really really fresh take on Steve. No time for practice.

7 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Rumor is 7:15-8p est...

I've been seeing that too but this is out of the norm.

For the time being there's no other times that ppl are saying, that is is in a few minutes, I'll try then and if so I can actual play the classic mode before we jump on tonight.

I wonder if we're gonna have a repeat of Joker server overload?