Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Edie Napier said:

The salt and boomer energy I'm getting from people actually upset at this is fucking wild.  The 100 cryptids and weirdos playing KoF 98 got Terry, how the Hell can you be upset that Minecraft would eventually poke its dick into Smash Bros? theydonothing;

People have very, very specific desires when it comes to Smash, and there are always going to be people who see a new character as taking away their favorite character's spot. That's not how Smash works, obviously, but people on the internet are far from rational. 

Citing the chat thread, of all things, this month's thread is named after the Roivas Mansion from Eternal Darkness. I loved Eternal Darkness; I played that game over and over. And seeing an Eternal Darkness themed thread, the memories came rushing back, along with the thought of just how awesome it would be to see someone like Alexandra Roivas in Smash. There's so much that could be done with the character; but I know full well it isn't really happening. I'm happy Nintendo even remembered the game's existence, getting her in Smash as a spirit. This is more that can be said of Mike Jones. 

The point is; people can get dead set on a specific character, and when any other character gets announced, they are going to be disappointed. 

Edited by blcdude1

Oh great, another sword fighter. /s

I have played a bit of Minecraft and while I'm not really interested in the series you can't deny that it's one of the most influential games of the past ~10 years—probably the most influential game of the past ~10 years, really. And like always it looks like the developers have made some interesting abilities out of the character's mechanics. Looking forward to seeing how tricky/annoying that block building ability will be.

3 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

I have played a bit of Minecraft and while I'm not really interested in the series you can't deny that it's one of the most influential games of the past ~10 years—probably the most influential game of the past ~10 years, really. 

Probably not the place to debate this, but when I think influential games of the past decade, I think Candy Crush Saga. I will not claim this was a good influence, only that it was an early and incredibly successful use of the freemium model, one we've seen seep throughout the mobile gaming market and onto consoles, and there are a number of criticisms that come with that. 

Of course, there is no denying Minecraft's influence or its popularity. It's the best-selling game of all time. Looking at the Wikipedia page for best-selling video games, it beats the game in the #2 slot (Grand Theft Auto V) by 65 million sales. 

Ah, the classic you're not allowed to not like something reproach.

They reprogrammed every stage to incorporate a building mechanic for Steve, so can see why the next DLC took as long as it did, apart from the usual 2020 difficulties. Not a Minecraft fan, but look forward to all the content and Smash fanart with Zombie, Enderman/Ender Dragon, and such at least.

I'd also note a character being in Smash is very different from their game outside of Smash. 

You don't have to like a character's games to enjoy playing them in Smash. You don't have to have even played a character's game to enjoy playing them in Smash. Using myself as an example, I do like playing as the Wii Fit Trainer, even though I've never played Wii Fit. 

15 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Nintendo: Can you build it?

Sakurai the Builder: Yes, I can! We have the technology.

That was my favorite part of the presentation. 

The whole "Don't they know what kind of game Minecraft is? The wizardry required to make it work in this game... it's impossible! So, I laid it out straight for them. I said 'Yes, I can do it.'" 

That was great. 

Edited by blcdude1

Sakurai with that slow burn shade thrown at Nintendo.

This man can make anything playable in Smash, looks at Piranha Plant.

I imagine that convo went like this:  Can you get Minecraft in Smash?  That's impossible....but I got Piranha Plant in so I got this.

Never played Minecraft, but I think they did justice to the game design with the stage and it appears that the stage rotates through designs like the Mario Maker stage.  I am surprised that he looks darn near exactly like he would in Minecraft.  A lot if interesting mechanics.  Enderman vs. Mr. G&W would be interesting LOL.

Way latre on commenting this, since i watched tthis late in the morning, but... This was quite surprising

Wasn't expecting Steve to happen, and the Alex costume is nice (and probably obvious), though the Zombie and Enderman alt costumes are pretty interesting choices for alts

But im looking forward to this - looks like an interesting character, and I do like the look of the stage, though -- kind of reminds me how the Mario Maker stage works

The remixed music from what i heard is pretty good, too - wonder how many songs we'll be getting, and how many of them will be remixes...

But i suppose we'll most likely be finding more about that stuff in a couple days time with the character showcase pre-Minecraft live in a couple days time

But that also means a new Smash Amiibo to look forward to... not that i've gotten around to buying any of them all this time.. really should get around to that - Wonder how many there are in total now.....?

Granted i haven't bought the DLC pack yet... i'll get to that at some point, whenever that will be

Though i admit i took a nap this morning and missed out on watching the livestream, so kinda got unfortunately spoiled by a thumbnail on Youtube later in the morning when i was looking for the video

And on an unrelated note, Minecraft live is in a couple days - looking forward to that

If there’s one good thing to take from Steve being revealed, it’s that 3rd party characters are still on the table. I’m not trying to say that more Nintendo characters for dlc would be bad, but I kinda feel cheated to have a Nintendo character take up a dlc spot when they could have been in the base roster or something, (unless that character was introduced after Smash Ultimate launched I guess). Guess it doesn’t help that most of Smash Bros dlc fighters were 3rd party so far.

Steve I doesn’t but me, and from the trailer he doesn’t look too interesting gameplay wise, but at least my kid brother will hopefully be happy. I’m not sure if he’s going to like Steve’s play style in Smash, especially since my little brother still doesn’t understand recovering back to the stage with up special moves.