Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

GameXplain has a pretty big leak video up. Doesn’t spoil who the character is, but rather what game company they’re from. Surprisingly it was the Smash Bros website that accidentally leaked the info.

If you don’t want to know what company the next character is from don’t watch the video (if the video links here right). Please keep the info from the video in spoiler tags too.

Spoiler

I'm hoping it's one of two characters:

Either Fio from Metal Slug or Nakoruru from Samurai Shodown. Fio because she's super recognizable from Metal Slug and she fits the whole wacky aspect for Smash. Nakoruru from Samsho would be good since I doubt Nintendo would want Haohmura being a guest character (even though he's THE most recognizable character from Samsho) with him being so close to his Soul Caliber VI inclusion. Also, Nakoruru would be a good way to showcase Samurai Showdown coming to Switch in the same vein Hero was for DQ XI S.

And I'm assuming they'd want to increase the diversity with a female rep.

Edited by Isotope
3 hours ago, The Albraskan said:

GameXplain has a pretty big leak video up. Doesn’t spoil who the character is, but rather what game company they’re from. Surprisingly it was the Smash Bros website that accidentally leaked the info.

If you don’t want to know what company the next character is from don’t watch the video (if the video links here right). Please keep the info from the video in spoiler tags too.

Hide contents

Feeling SNK affiliated is the next one... hmmmmm

Two things I wanted from the fighter pass were more Nintendo-based representation and more female representatives. I don't think there will be any more Nintendo representation, so I'm hoping that if the next fighter is from SNK that it'll be the first female fighter in the pack. Mai Shiranui to me is the obvious choice, but I don't know if they'll go in that direction. I'm just hoping for a character I actually know at some point. 

Edited by IU

Yeah, being honest, while I don't dislike the DLC additions we've gotten, it's mostly just been kinda there for me. Banjo will be the first one I'll be excited enough to get as soon as they're out, but if none of the remaining fighters are ones that resonate with me as well, then I'll just settle for Banjo instead of the whole fighter pass, which I had been waiting awhile to decide on depending on the remaining character reveals.

Figured it might come to something like this since most of the goodwill for me already came with the game's base roster additions/newcomers, so it's whatever.

Edited by Ridley Prime
9 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Yeah, being honest, while I don't dislike the DLC additions we've gotten, it's mostly just been kinda there for me.

That's how I feel pretty much. I don't question that the pass has had representatives that are major parts of their specific IPs, but I don't have any connection with the current line-up including Banjo. Even Mai, if she were included, would be a loose connection for me. I took a gamble on the fighters pass thinking I would have enjoyed the overall game and DLC selection a lot more than I currently have. I'm hoping the last two additions in this fighters pass at least get me back into the game for more than a couple play sessions. 

I personally wish more of the DLC fighters had a presence on modern Nintendo consoles. The Hero is the only character so far I've been interested in, and like... it basically boils down to the fact Dragon Quest actually had a presence on Nintendo in the past ten years so I've played that franchise. Compare someone like Joker, when the only way to know who they are is to play game on a completely different console. Looking at SNK's recent output on Nintendo consoles, I'm getting a very similar concern.

I mean, it's fine; I don't need to buy the pass after all. I'm waiting this out to see who the last character is, but I could see myself skipping the pass entirely or just buying Hero; and it's such a huge contrast to Smash 4's DLC that kept my interest in Smash long after release.

Edited by Ares

I'm glad there's option to buy the character you are interested in but there's 2 question I want to ask those who not getting the pass. I'm pretty sure most watch the videos featuring the DLC characters, right?

It's one thing not to have any connection to the character but with all the characters in the game and watching the vids; do they not seem to play like character you played in this game that might ease you in?

That's my first question, Joker for me play sort of like Sheik, who I love and Hero plays like Link who is a better Robin. (Odd because I hate Robin, I like Sheik and Link. Also I like Hero a lot more than Joker but doesn't take way my purchase of him either. Of that is just me and my opinion of this character) I do not know if it is to save time or intentionally have these DLC play like someone in the roster but don't knock what you didn't expected. Again, I'm sure you all heard Nintendo choose these DLC character and not Sakurai, last time when he chose majority were from past Smash title. I think this time they wanted to expand their scope to 3rd with some strong ties, meaning they go way back.

Second question; none you have a connection with Banjo-Kazooie?!? My you bunch must be in the minority. Again, have you played the games and just didn't like the, I'll understand and get that but if you never played the series, why knock something you have no knowledge about really.

I'm seeing all this oh this isn't the character I expected or wanted but I'm not seeing any real tangible reason for this, speak up about this. I'm all ears.

16 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Feeling SNK affiliated is the next one... hmmmmm

I forgot they mad Terry a girl in the SNK Heroines game, if it's here I guess she fit the bill to come to Ultimate, lol.

--------

10 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Paddle faster, I hear banjos playing...

Like the vid say there was date to pull down the poster for for Hero. I've been hearing Banjo will release in November and that is too late, with 2 more characters left, that would me to make sure they don't release the last next year back between January and February, that would mean after the November release of Banjo, the 4th will be at the end of the year.

So to properly spread them out; a look back and prediction of the releases: April Joker; Hero July; Banjo September; 4th character is either November or December and the last character will release in February. The Bayonetta and Corrin ended like that in 2016 after releasing Cloud in 2015 December, that is a great example to go by with Sm4sh release DLC.

So yeah we getting Banjo soonie, even if this is wrong the prediction of it November is wonky but release will be more close to each other. The one I mention are 2-4 months aparat is just more realistic pattern wise with the release so far.

It's not really a matter of whether or not I can play them or ease into them; I'm casual that I'm not too concerned how well I play a character because I'll play them anyway. I like seeing how different characters translate into a fighting game and appreciating the creativity that goes into it; e.g., I know splatoon is all about inking turf I can appreciate just how much thought went into designing inkling. But that doesn't really work when I don't know the character's basegame--I can assume they did a good job translating them into Smash but can't appreciate it when I only see how they appear in Smash.

I didn't play Banjo Kazooie on N64. No doubt they're the most "nintendo-y" of the DLC characters, but they're basically a retro addition at this point.

Edited by Ares
21 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

Second question; none you have a connection with Banjo-Kazooie?!? My you bunch must be in the minority. Again, have you played the games and just didn't like the, I'll understand and get that but if you never played the series, why knock something you have no knowledge about really.

I'm seeing all this oh this isn't the character I expected or wanted but I'm not seeing any real tangible reason for this, speak up about this. I'm all ears.

I got a Nintendo 64 as a gift probably around a year before the Gamecube, and I spent that short time getting all I could out of Super Mario 64 and Wave Race. I have not played a Banjo-Kazooie game, but I do understand that the character had been highly requested and was a big part of that era of Nintendo for many. I don't have that connection to the character, so I'm looking ahead again to what's next. That's not a knock on Banjo-Kazooie. 

Banjo is the character I expected to see the most within the current fighters pass based on the trend the game had taken already by bringing in Ridley, Simon and K. Rool, fan favorites that seemed out of reach. As far as wanting certain characters, why would anyone want a character that they have had no experiences with? Part of the appeal of a crossover like Smash is seeing different characters from different universes interact with each other, exploring the "what if," and that's likely not there as much for someone with a character that they have no experience with. I understand though that the current fighters pass does appeal to a lot of people and they probably do get that magic of a crossover with these characters. 

16 minutes ago, IU said:

I got a Nintendo 64 as a gift probably around a year before the Gamecube, and I spent that short time getting all I could out of Super Mario 64 and Wave Race. I have not played a Banjo-Kazooie game, but I do understand that the character had been highly requested and was a big part of that era of Nintendo for many. I don't have that connection to the character, so I'm looking ahead again to what's next. That's not a knock on Banjo-Kazooie. 

Banjo is the character I expected to see the most within the current fighters pass based on the trend the game had taken already by bringing in Ridley, Simon and K. Rool, fan favorites that seemed out of reach. As far as wanting certain characters, why would anyone want a character that they have had no experiences with? Part of the appeal of a crossover like Smash is seeing different characters from different universes interact with each other, exploring the "what if," and that's likely not there as much for someone with a character that they have no experience with. I understand though that the current fighters pass does appeal to a lot of people and they probably do get that magic of a crossover with these characters. 

What you say is true but Sakurai operates with different barometer which confuses ppl more often than not. Like the last two installments of Smash, he had arbitrary reason why Ridley could not be in Smash but than you have the counter from fans that Bowser size changes all the times in any title in the Mario series or Smash.  That is on barometer measure the other which more hits on with this DLC selection even though it Nintendo decision.  Look at the character Ice Climbers, Marth, Roy, Mr, Game & Watch and R.O.B., what do they all have in common? They were all obscure non release or one title character that Sakurai have brought them to life through Smash. Though may not see the significance of the DLC characters now, they are in there for important reason. That is my belief, also to mention, this was also to bring significance to Pit in Brawl and 4 years later he had his own game on the 3DS, made by Sakurai himself. This was sort of repeated with Wii Fit Trainer and slight more degree with Duck Hunt. I think most ppl knew Duck Hunt because of the pack-in tie in with Super Mario Bros back in the day on the NES cart but to be brought back now was nice surprise.

So even if the character does not necessarily resonate with you, Sakurai looks at the bigger picture of why character comes to Smash and yeah Sakurai did not choose these, it is a great sign of sort that Nintendo is taking page from Sakurai's playbook choosing characters ppl won't believe is coming to Smash.

Just a thought about that leak.

When I think of SNK, and one thing I think of is King of Fighters and its teams. Given that mechanic, I could see an SNK representative being three characters who enter in a set order: when one gets beaten, the next takes over. There are plenty of existing teams, but it could also be a unique "Smash Team." 

Edited by blcdude1
29 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

So even if the character does not necessarily resonate with you, Sakurai looks at the bigger picture of why character comes to Smash and yeah Sakurai did not choose these, it is a great sign of sort that Nintendo is taking page from Sakurai's playbook choosing characters ppl won't believe is coming to Smash.

I understand though that the current fighters pass does appeal to a lot of people and they probably do get that magic of a crossover with these characters.