Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/11594/opinion-how-nintendo-failed-the-smash-community

Curious as to what others think on that. At the very least I agree Nintendo could've done more as regulators which could have prevented some of this, but at the same time I guess for Nintendo it's sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing, even with the Capcom example that has had minimal cases of predators in their scenes in comparison thanks to their tournament regulation and ToS.

2 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/11594/opinion-how-nintendo-failed-the-smash-community

Curious as to what others think on that. At the very least I agree Nintendo could've done more as regulators which could have prevented some of this, but at the same time I guess for Nintendo it's sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't kind of thing, even with the Capcom example that has had minimal cases of predators in their scenes in comparison thanks to their tournament regulation and ToS.

This article comes off as misplaced.  Nintendo makes the game and has it rated.

Nintendo doesn't control any kind of in-person or online tournaments via rules and regulations other than the ones it officially offers.  If tournament organizers fail to keep proper  organizational methods, rules,  regulations, crowd control ect.. when operating their tournaments then its on them and not the company that makes the game.  If you are a corporation sponsoring a tournament then you would also want to know how the security and other matters are being handled before you put your name and your money behind it.  People need to take personal responsibility for their actions and not blame others.

If EVO has this many issues running in the background for as long as its been stated then how did it take till now for the walls to crack around it.

Yeah, I don't really see how it's Nintendo's responsibility to police this kind of stuff. Hell, disconnected from all this stuff Nintendo has often been criticized for being "too big brother" with their software. If anything I think it justifies them staying out.

13 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

Why do they have to cancel the entire event?

Fire/ban the people responsible for the abuse, absolutely, but it's not fair to punish all the players who did not diddle kids.

Unless I'm behind on Evo news (assuming that is the event you meant) I'm guessing it's a mix of having to cancel the physical event in the first place and now all this coming out too. I'm sure dealing with the transition to a online format was already a headache, now the "main organizer is out of the picture for very good reasons, but still means missing someone who was normally a big part of the event. 

Not saying it doesn't suck for those who signed up, but I don't think it's meant to punish anyone. It's likely just a logistical nightmare. I can see wanting to just say let's skip so we can start getting things figured out for next year right now. 

I concur with Igneous about why EVO Online was cancelled but I'm gonna elaborate more about the responsibilities of the tourney organizers that PB mentioned, in a damn if the do if they went on with the online tourney with previous CEO fired. The damn if do sort of circles back to Ridley Prime but not from Nintendo perspective but as I mentioned EVO.

Now, if EVO Online carried on just make money off what is usually a high time from them, they would received backlash from the TO's, competitors and commentaries that still remain in the community and Smash that; one it is not right to make money off such news have come to light and two something needs to be done to ensure the safety of anyone part-taking in the tournament. The order of these criticism is not that vital but that vid posted by Ridley Prime on the previous page, (did not watch but I seen the thumbnail of the vid and also watch a few vids that I'm sure is saying same message in them) I'm sure the biggest point of contention is how the safety of these tournaments need to be restructured. The one suggestion I hear that I used to think was alright is to divide the tournaments into age divisions. The arguments I hear against makes more sense than for it because that is the easier way out first and foremost and secondly that community at large should not hinder the talent of much younger players for the misdeeds of some adult actions and those around them to be accountable when something goes awry at even the slightest of concern. These tournies are there for all to have a good time. That is what these experiences are for, are they not?

I think it is easy to nitpick, and hate the individuals but we have to look at the bigger picture and the future of the scene and not just out right say the scene is done, we must divide the event and etc. I believe EVO made the right choice just like the climate of the world to cancel other gaming events like E3, which also had its troubles as well but not as severe as this one but nonetheless. These cancellation just means that there will be time to reflect to do better for themselves and those who attend and to make sure all have a good time at these events. In the end that is what matters not how money they will make but to make sure all is safe and all have fun.

Hopefully it is not too soon to say but it seems like those who are being outed for their misdeeds are slowing down. As much as that seems like relief in the short term, my hope for now that the abusers and the abusees more so can find peace and solace with this out there. For the abusers, we can condemn them all we want but just want them to be accountable for actions, whether that is an apology to the abusees or if the abusees want to purse in pressing charges. It will not be easy but if that is their peace of mind they are looking for I support them. When charged the abusers should just accept what is done, then atone for their actions.

17 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

image0.gif.835e7c5a6115e0123664c59178bf7415.gif

Can confirm he did say that before, that therapy doesn't work. Oh the irony.

Sometimes you don't need it till you need it.  Had he admittedly been before?

And the guy throwing out "the scene" comments seems to miss the point that seems to be coming up is that the scene created the monsters.

Regardless of the kind of fame or clout the scene gives you pending on how successful you are, you're still responsible for your actions at the end of the day, so I have to call bullshit on that. There just needs to be better regulation and ToS.

He spoke of therapy before like it was some quack practice that no one needed. It came off as incredibly ignorant and insensitive, so for him to be saying he's getting into therapy now is just well, funny.

Interesting. That is why I found it funny it wanted to be hated because ppl are coming out and are putting two and two together.

If what he previously said is true then we can't say his actions are genuine, what a shame outside of his clout, I never was ZeRo follower but I wondered at the back of mind that despite the turmoil he went through as child served two purpose, truth and to have ppl believe he wants to and need to change. The change part I was uncertain with his attitude towards himself in selr-hate. Just didn't sit right with me and just didn't make sense with what was shared and what he wants to better himself.

Oh well, only he can find the answers he seek. Good luck to him

Not directly related with Smash Community accusations but this guy I'm subscribed to talsk about Smash fighters moves origin and stuff. As much as I think it is important to watch the whole video. The part I have the video start is the last 2 minutes and how cancel culture is double edge sword when wielded incorrectly. I feel his take is important to understand it is not so black and while with how social media works, sides and how sharing personal information is not where one stands. It is up to the individuals involve to resolve without the influence of the net to dictate their next action. It's nice but not necessary in the end and should be treated observed opinion for the best or the worst in where it falls,

Before watching this video I didn't know who I want to fight (not as if I ever asked who'd want fight in Smash)

But after watching this vid the one character I would wanna fight the most is....Captain Falcon. You guys thought I was gonna say Link, sometimes reality isn't what it seems, huh?

2 hours ago, purple_beard said:

They would for sure, probably both in-game and out as merchandise. I've been thinking about getting Nintendo-themed masks for myself for when I'm at work, but the only site I've gotten my orders delivered from during this time has been Amazon. I still have pending deliveries from Redbubble, Etsy and TeePublic, the sites I would likely go to for a themed product like this. 

• 2 weeks later...