Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

So... EVO as a whole has been collectively cancelled as of today. It was basically a domino effect of entities dropping out after one of the guys who runs EVO getting exposed for sexual misconduct, and that was just after some big names in the Smash community were exposed and admitted to doing the same. The fighting game community is affected all around, but the competitive Smash community is in shambles right now.

IMG_20200703_023634.jpg.dbbb9fb6e7b4631c8f76615fb43a3464.jpg

It sucks for the innocent non-problematic people who just want to play Smash or whatever fighting game at events, but I hope this all is the start of a real community reform.

Despite this happening and this year just seems like one bad news to another.

I keep saying all of this happens for a reason. Like we live in a world where not everybody is on the level and this is just another view of the world we just been too shy, too angry or too scared to admit that the world is not perfect. That's not to say it is in fact but we like to think so because it is easy to so as much as it hurts that EVO this year is cancelled we can live knowing that those who open up to these acts misconducts are very brave and I wish them all the best mentally to recover from this.

From this day of shame for the abusers, they need to accountable for their actions and the victims, it gets better from today. Thank you.

To answer his question; as much as I want characters who are spirits in Smash to be fighters in vol.2. I feel this takes way the thrill of who might get in.

We make up these rules who we want in and who we don't but all we know with Sakurai is just like Vol one, all the characters chosen to be fighters were picked by Nintendo and ultimately (see what I did there) by Sakurai. This is the case again for Vol two. The last factor with Sakurai is the that character in question have to originate from a video game. Does not matter if they were from Nintendo platform anyone is game. (I did another one)

Another made rule even with these outliers is that the character have to be relevant, not necessarily. Sakurai is inconsistent with who he puts in from all the way from Mr. Game & Watch all the way to fan fave 3rd party Banjo-Kazooie. So the factors for the pass is that fighters were already chosen before announced and they have to originate from a video game.

But this spirit talk with Min Min really just throw another wrench in all of speculation. (so Sakurai)

So yeah, tl;dr. I don't like speculation per se and just want clear reason why character was put into Smash. So speculation with a hint like spirit character may have a chance to get in just takes the fun a bit in who's coming to Smash ontop of how convoluted speculation already is. So I rather not spirit character become a fighter just to avoid speculation reaching more ridiculous hype, me personally. 

I do hope that those impacted by these members of the Smash community are able to move on and forward from these situations that have been haunting them. I personally see myself in the Puppeh-Cinnpie case, but I'm glad that I've never had a relationship go that far with that much manipulation. Someone being or feeling silenced by the person that they have issues with for any extended time is a cruel experience when trying to move on and I'm not shocked by Puppeh's tweets right now. I do hope he is able to find something to get himself in a better state of mind.  

Spoiler

And there goes another top player from the Smash community. ZeRo was called out on stuff and has responded/admitted to such. He acknowledges a lot of the claims and apologized to those making the claims. He has stated in another tweet he is banning himself from any and all Smash events and is done creating content on YouTube for a while.
Edited by Surge135

I read the first Twit Longer last night but just now read the 2nd one. I recall seeing in the first reply that ppl were mentioning Katie, what about her?

Reading that now does not exonerate of behavior because despite his tragic past to know what he did, there could be more. Like damn guy. I know he's one the most genuine guy who claimed to the accusations, that's great but why was this no mentioned the first Twit Longer and put in another. So great that he came out (very genuine) but how much more he could holding back? 

Actually he made a twitlonger prior to those two I shared. It was in response to the initial accusation made by Jisu that didn't really do much to either admit or deny the actions he was accused of (tweet here). Then that is when Katie (an anonymous party accusing him of being inappropriate with her over Skype) and Leffen came out with their stories, so ZeRo responded with a second twitlonger, the first that I shared. This morning is when I saw his third twitlonger and what I edited in as the second tweet. So it took him three twitlongers to skirt around the accusations and come clean.

I gave ZeRo the benefit of a doubt too at first when he came out with his convincing defensive story for himself and with what looked like evidence, but it was just that, a story. I fear Twitlonger posts at this point will eventually become the kayfabes of the Smash community or the guilty and accused in general. If there's any issues, I want them to take legal action, yes, but Twitter isn't your police.

With him finally outed though on top of everyone else recently, I'm hoping he's the last of the old guard of filth within the community, but will have to see.

I think the competitive Smash scene will come back eventually, but it's gonna be a slow recovering process. Sucks that all this happened just within the week of Min Min's release too. I hope everyone else at least is enjoying her and the game/update to the max, and not letting shit people ruin Smash for them.

@Surge135: I'm watching a stream right now where I see there was 3 statements okay. Even still why didn't he put this all in one post? It makes it appear that he's prepping his response or hiding something else. That's how I see and some or most likely too. Just saying. Again I feel real bad for ZeRo and being brave for sharing his past and sort but separating these responses is little suspect. Then again, we can only imagine what is going through his mind that he just didn't post all these claims at once so there could be that too.

--

Question to all: Do any of you since all these accusations just can't play Smash?

Honestly, the two is separate to me and shouldn't really influence action to reaction but at the same time I feel I should feel something because it makes it seem like I don't care but as I said the actions of few shouldn't influence decision to stop playing video games. It's like someone who lives in your neighborhood gets shot and your afraid to go outside period now. Everyone is welcome to feel what they feel but at the end of the day that shouldn't stop anyone to live their life. That's just how I view still playing Smash now.

I've been on the accused side of a situation not as serious as what's going on in the Smash community, but serious enough to still have cost me my job had I been guilty. It took my employer around 9 months to finally come to any conclusion and it wasn't from the case that originated from my accuser. When I had the actual statements made against me, I believe I had 10 days to respond. I would say most of these unfortunate situations that have occurred are work place incidents, and, even if that definition doesn't hold, I don't feel any accused person should be required to immediately respond or rush out a response. I haven't read into what ZeRo did and his responses, but he should be allowed to express his side within a reasonable time period. If it takes multiple responses to get to the truth, then that's what needs to occur. 

5 hours ago, DLurkster said:

Question to all: Do any of you since all these accusations just can't play Smash?

I think it has been a couple of days since I've played Smash. It has nothing to do with what's going on just having other games that I would rather play. 

Edited by IU

Not  to say events did or didn't occur and were serious in nature but what strikes me about this whole dump is...

They dropped Smash from online EVO, which was online only because of CV19, and this close to game time with the tournament all of this breaks and has ties into the competitive Smash community.

I just find the timing way to convenient for conspiracy.

Too late for me tonight to take in all the written word on all of the events but I think I might come up with a more detailed and in-depth thought later in the day on Sunday after I process it.

Whatever goes on the Smash competitive community doesn't affect my wanting to play the game at all.  I play the game because I like it.  What I do like about watching competitive Smash though is seeing who uses who and what moves they go with to win matches.  I'm always fascinated in ways characters I like get get played competitively and I also like to see what competitors see in characters I don't use/like.  I draw both inspiration questions when I see this kind of stuff and I try to use it when I play the next time.

13 hours ago, IU said:

I've been on the accused side of a situation not as serious as what's going on in the Smash community, but serious enough to still have cost me my job had I been guilty. It took my employer around 9 months to finally come to any conclusion and it wasn't from the case that originated from my accuser. When I had the actual statements made against me, I believe I had 10 days to respond. I would say most of these unfortunate situations that have occurred are work place incidents, and, even if that definition doesn't hold, I don't feel any accused person should be required to immediately respond or rush out a response. I haven't read into what ZeRo did and his responses, but he should be allowed to express his side within a reasonable time period. If it takes multiple responses to get to the truth, then that's what needs to occur.

I'm sorry to hear that really and I know no one can really understand how one feels when they get accused of something that serious nature, unless one have actually been there. But you also must see that yeah time to share such sensitive matter should not matter but as I mention, it appears that one his bidding their time make up believable scenario. One thing I forget with the accusee and accuser, is that either side could be making things up but I'm the type of person to give ppl the benefit of doubt so as much as either side could making it up, what would be the purpose if what they say is true. So I get time should not be factor but some won't see that. Unless, one wants to say their peace and don't care what anybody says because you know what say is true and no one can take that away from you.

I think ZeRo had too many voices in his head so to speak through Twitter and social media when dealing with this situation beyond his accusers. Every statement after the first implies at the start that there has been responses to a previous statement, so he has every right to make multiple posts to defend himself. The more serious accusation with Katie and his own admission with Laura definitely is wrong and poor judgment, and I hope that they both have a sense of closure now and can move on. Suggestive comments should generally not be made with someone unless a strong relationship is already present and the door has been open for that kind of interaction. They certainly shouldn't be made if you're unaware of a person's age.

That being said, I do think ZeRo went too far with his self-imposed punishments following the 2nd statement and I don't feel they hold after his third. What I read sounds more like a suspension is reasonable. Suspension from all Smash events for a year once the world has a better handle on the Covid-19 pandemic (includes all events that may still be occurring as well). In regards to content creation, I would say 1-3 months leave.