Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, Tyranogre said:

Since Min Min confirms that Spirits still have a shot, Rex is basically a solid lock now.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Along with Leon S. Kennedy, Rayman, and Geno.

5 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

What, no Shantae? I would have Jill, Chris, or Wesker over Leon personally, not that I think an RE character is happening still at this point.

Sheeeeeeeeeeet

latest?cb=20190607231640

Gets longer, more damaging fire breath and a fireball option.

Gets Bowser's axe and hammer toss from SMB.

And throw in this as a alt from MKT

gold_dry_bowser.jpg

Edited by purple_beard
51 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

What, no Shantae? I would have Jill, Chris, or Wesker over Leon personally, not that I think an RE character is happening still at this point.

I like Shantae, I forget about her sometimes like Shovel Knight.

As for the RE debate, I don't get why there's the minority who just don't get on the Leon train and stay aboard. He's one of the most popular characters from the series. Notice I said 'one of the most', this is not to take away from the rest of the character but Leon will always be number one to me.

Main reason I say Rex in particular  is because Sakurai specifically cited the fact that Ultimate was too far along in development by the time Xenoblade 2 came out as the reason why Rex was excluded.

All those other guys already had their games out for presumably the entirety of Ultimate's development cycle.

Oh I remember and there's no excuse for Rex not to be in and if Min Min is not outlier of 1st party characters than that's another reason why he would be a shoe in.

Either way most spirits now have a shot now, some are a bit more obvious than some.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

I like Shantae, I forget about her sometimes like Shovel Knight.

As for the RE debate, I don't get why there's the minority who just don't get on the Leon train and stay aboard. He's one of the most popular characters from the series. Notice I said 'one of the most', this is not to take away from the rest of the character but Leon will always be number one to me.

That's fair, but she has a fair shot too still unlike Shovel Knight who remains an assist trophy.

I don't dislike Leon, but the other characters are definitely popular too and kinda appeal to me a bit more. The ones I mentioned have also been playable in a Marvel vs Capcom title or two unlike him, not to mention Nemesis. RE has plenty fan favorites besides Leon. The best case scenario would be to have most of the protagonists as different skins a la Hero, if you ask me. Wesker would have one of the most fun moveset material to work with though, but if you was to have heroes first, then I would go with that method.

49 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

That's fair, but she has a fair shot too still unlike Shovel Knight who remains an assist trophy.

I don't dislike Leon, but the other characters are definitely popular too and kinda appeal to me a bit more. The ones I mentioned have also been playable in a Marvel vs Capcom title or two unlike him, not to mention Nemesis. RE has plenty fan favorites besides Leon. The best case scenario would be to have most of the protagonists as different skins a la Hero, if you ask me. Wesker would have one of the most fun moveset material to work with though, but if you was to have heroes first, then I would go with that method.

Truth is I like Wesker more than Leon, Jill more than Chris in that order.

I think I always like Wesker but RE5 changed that for me, I denied because of how cock he is but he took it to another level in that game and I respect him more oddly enough, it was in that same game were Chris is so-so to me. Jill redeemed herself in Revelations (in chronological before RE5 explains why her hair was blond in that game)

And Leon out of all the those character is not over the top or boring. If the occasion arise he can be heroic or just be the everyman. That is why I like Leon.

I also agree that Wesker would have the most wicked moveset, tho.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:18 PM, Ridley Prime said:

Why do people say Assist Trophy appearances can't be made into fighters? Obviously if you'd summon Shovel Knight while someone is playing as him, you get Alfonzo instead.

latest?cb=20140503043549

Yeah, came across that earlier which admittedly I did not know before. Apparently too Samus's missiles can kill and finish off the frozen Metroid, but in Smash there's no way she herself can ice someone with her moveset, so hope she has Lucas or someone as a teammate. I would take some of her beams like the ice beam as switchable things with her neutral special, while giving the charge shot a bit less kill power to balance it out. Same deal if you were to give her the ice missiles as a missile alternate.

Shame something like that likely won't ever happen with her though. Character movesets pretty much got more and more creative with each Smash entry, so if Samus debuted in one of the later titles she'd definitely have some of that, but because she's a Smash 64 debuted character, she's pretty basic/limited out of her moveset potential and just gets the little touches/adjustments as time goes on. She's been in a good spot in the meta again at least as of the last update.

I get the feeling there'll be some notable buffs for a number of characters in the update with Min Min's launch. Has usually been the case with each character release patch. Some may need buffs too with Min Min's attack range expectedly being what it is which makes even the Belmonts feel outclassed in that department.

Edited by Ridley Prime
14 minutes ago, IU said:

Do character updates usually happen this late in the day? 

Yes, like 8 or 9pm eastern.

The thing is they never mentioned when today the update will release so the above time is assumed.

But this isn't the first time character update happened days later, this happened with Byleth as well and I remember that update happening at night.

And another note on the Nintendo network status the cloud save will be down today starting from the usual Smash update time of 8pm no mention of Ultimate being down. So that's a little unusual with what we are used the when in time and a heads up.