Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

22 minutes ago, EH_STEVE said:

i was really shocked with the Vault Boy thing as there is like zero Fallout on Nintendo platforms except for maybe that Vault Dweller game?

I'm aware I'm quoting myself. But thinking on it more, the costume was a Vault 111 jumpsuit, so I would highly suspect we'll see Todd "Let's port it to another platform" Howard announce FO4 for the Switch within a month (during whatever their version of lack-of-E3 thing will be)

2 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Dat Joker amiibo is SICK!

Hero looked ok.

Yeah, something looked off with Hero.

Like what happened?!? Yes, when human amiibo first came they were painful to look at and they got better by 2015 with Splatoon amiibo and Ryu. They got better even more so by then like Bayonetta and such.

So seeing Hero look so blech is weird, tho there's time till fall that time will be used to ship out not to improve. So pretty much how the Hero looks is how he's gonna look.

Overall commentary:

Sakurai balling with the dual 50+ big screens and tons of gaming systems underneath.

Shout out to Sakurai for having all those modern and retro systems under the tvs.

*Without pausing the video I believe he had a PCE, a Famicom, a Switch, and I am sure a bunch more that I didn't catch.

Amazed he can play two controllers at once LOL.

Interesting on the Min Mn vs. Ninjara commentary.  Granted while Min Min got the nod, Ninjara got a pretty sweet Mii Fighter costume.

Not a bad collection of Mii costumes IMO.  The Splatoon ones looked great.  I am feeling Ninjara the most.  Interesting on going for Fallout Boy.  Also, the guy from Tekken was a nice drop but wasn't that same Mii costume already a part of Smash 4?

Joker Amiibo is BAD ASS.

Hero Amiibo is about what I would expect since that style is his main but the coloring looked off to me.

Min Min commentary:

Feeling the alt colors but I am attracted to the black/gray/red and the blue/light teal the most

I think to incorporate the ARMS aesthetic to Smash, this was about as good as one could do.

Ability to be dual fisted/armed with attacks is cool.  I like how its A or B for R or L arms.

Ability to go both directions is cool.

I liked that dual punch to the ground to jump up.

Interesting way to incorporate the steering of the arm mechanic into this game.

I like the the Arms offered.  Kind of sucks one has to stay Dragon but ya know...

While i do find the stage kind of plain, I think its interesting mechanics also makes it cool: the spring jump platforms on the sides and the ability to work the arches into ricochet points for higher damage attacks or mid air sniping.

I was gonna post that banner vid but I didn't want to post the alt, so I spent a minute looking for one with just her being added.

I do agree on the spring concept for the Spring Stadium, just glad it is different than the actually game it is from. Really nice action with the spring, like a ricochet of sorts.

Controlling each arm separately with A and B sounds like a clever way of incorporating ARMS gameplay into Smash, I really like it. The stage also seems fun, and more unique than the flying stages for Byleth or Hero.

I've fallen off on playing Smash regularly though, so I might wait to see what other DLC fighters are announced before spending more on DLC passes or individual fighters.

22 minutes ago, DLurkster said:

I was gonna post that banner vid but I didn't want to post the alt, so I spent a minute looking for one with just her being added.

I do agree on the spring concept for the Spring Stadium, just glad it is different than the actually game it is from. Really nice action with the spring, like a ricochet of sorts.

Once all the characters are done so to speak I want to get a poster from someone somewhere with that final roster image.

Looks like Min Min is going to be good for multiplayer games of 4 or 8 players from what I’ve heard in other videos. The ability to extend her arms in both directions to cover pretty much cover the distance of BF or FD sized stages is pretty nuts for Smash. 

As for that Vault Boy Mii costume, I think it would have made more sense to put him in a Mii costume showcase for Doomguy’s reveal for Smash. Not that it’s likely Doomguy would make it in Smash...

IMG_E7043.thumb.JPG.57ae6e31032436ed8d5bb13d35b3e9f2.JPG

Min Min, to me, is the best newcomer in Ultimate. I wanted Twintelle to be the newcomer, but I always thought Min Min should be in just based on history. Mr. Yabuki's favorite got in and I'm so glad he set the record straight regarding all the non-sense about who the protagonist of ARMS is. Having seen how they translated Spring Stadium for Ultimate, I'm glad that they went that direction instead of Min Min's Ramen Bowl stage. 

IMG_E7044.thumb.JPG.61ce423d838e843c03faf07cf072f835.JPG

Min Min having her move set be focused on her three standard ARMS from the game is perfect, and I also love that her left arm is always the Dragon ARM matching with her left arm's signature transformation ability. The inputs for Min Min's arms match with the inputs in ARMS if you're not using the thumbs up scheme pretty much. It's more technical with Smash, but I think a lot of ARMS players could feel right at home with the inputs given to Min Min. I'm looking forward to playing as her next week. Since Min Min got in, I'm going to go ahead and get the entire Fighters Pass 2. It's already better than the first pass in my opinion with Min Min.

IMG_E7045.thumb.JPG.419355afe67c6c6baca7d8546fb8c944.JPG 

The trailer for Min Min's reveal was one of the more obvious reveals to me, so it didn't carry any surprise. I saw Captain Falcon and Kirby eating ramen, Min Min's the ARMS character for Smash. I loved the presentation of the trailer though. ARMS is my favorite game on Switch and it was nice to see its universe presented in a new style for Min Min's reveal. The translation from ARMS to Smash with Min Min is about as good as it could be. 

IMG_E7046.thumb.JPG.4f57943007486f23442a73b78d8daf05.JPG

I was hoping to play as Min Min tonight, but having to wait another week doesn't bother me. Starting two work weeks off on a good note is fine with me. I have all of Min Min's badges in ARMS, I believe; however, I'm probably going to play as her a lot until her Smash debut. I still haven't beaten Grand Prix Lv. 7 as Min Min with her standard ARMS. There's 1 vs. 100 too that I could work on as Min Min. Smash is going to be coming back into my gaming rotation now too, so I'll be getting more into it this week. 

Edited by IU
7 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Interesting observation but I thought it was obvious until they mentioned this: Does this pack come with a classic mode and spirit board?

The other DLC fighters all shown and came with classic mode and spirit board. Hmm, if for some reason it isn't there I can't feel bad because of their work conditions now. I just hate how we have this sort of expectation of the $5.99 to be 3rd party characters, have a classic mode and spirit board.

Welp, we will see come a week from now. I'm sure that's all there.

Over the weekend prior, I decided to look a bit more into ARMS, including seeing each of the characters for the most part beyond the few or couple I was already familiar with as well as trying out the free demo, and Min Min had become one of my top wants after I became more familiarized, along with Dr Coyle. Twintelle I would've liked too but always had a felling she wasn't gonna be chosen on account of not using her arms to fight but her hair. The only one I really didn't want was Spring Man, which would've been a worst case scenario for me and I think many. Even if he was still considered a main character/hero or posterboy, his design was more generic than the rest, and the Assist Trophy rule being broken would've opened another can of worms. But yeah, happy with Min Min and especially happy for those who had her as their most wanted or 2nd most wanted.

In hindsight, it would've helped if we were told some months ahead of time that fighter 5 was gonna be an FE Three Houses character, and then Byleth would've been mostly well received from the offset like Min Min here after having quite a bit of time for expectations to sink in. Was also refreshing not really having a credible leak on who the ARMS character was gonna be, so everyone went in about equally blind. Nintendo did right and well on marketing fighter 6 and the beginning of fighter pass 2 this way.