Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Discussion Thread

Should: Min Min

Want: Twintelle

Outside Shot: Dr. Coyle

I don't see how doing a multiple character option makes any sense for ARMS, but I certainly think more than a character's standard ARMS will be explored for a move set and potentially allow for customization there. Min Min should be the representative due to her presence in ARMS through the game's life, being the game's ultimate champion. Twintelle is my most wanted. She has a great set of standard ARMS to work with: Chilla, Thunderbird and Parasol. She has a better potential stage option in Cinema Deux than Min Min's Ramen Bowl (I do think the stage should match the chosen character). I think it would be little easier to incorporate a witch time like ability for Twintelle than Min Min's Dragon arm (not to be confused with the Dragon ARM :P ) ability. In terms of taunts, Twintelle has more going for her than Min Min in my opinion based on images within the game, i.e. sipping tea, reading a book with her Parasol out, lifting weights, laugh, sports drink...Min Min really only has her K.O. pose, eating ramen and showing ramen. Kirby will be another winner if Twintelle were the fighter. 

Anyways, Dr. Coyle is my outside shot pick. I don't think she is that likely at all, but she is very significant to ARMS lore. Head of ARMS Labs, sponsor for the ARMS Grand Prix, creator of Helix, Springtron and Hedlok, possibly reanimated Master Mummy, has personal ties to another significant character Max Brass, ARMS Labs is associated to the Party Crash events...Dr. Coyle in my opinion becomes the best option for representation if fan rules do mean anything (they shouldn't). I do think Dr. Coyle brings more to the table than Twintelle and Min Min in terms of content representation due to how intertwined she is in many aspects of the game. Dr. Coyle is an easy third behind Min Min and Twintelle in my opinion. 

Dr. Coyle is the one character too that I feel has two arena options: Max Brass's Sky Arena and her own [NAME REDACTED]. This is due to her being the final fight, alongside Hedlok, on the game's hardest difficulties. 

Edited by IU

I couldn't agree more with the above with Min Min and Twintelle.

I knew a little a bit about Dr. Coyle but I love lore about almost anything and tho I know she is not too popularly known, I'm aware of her ability. Add that to new ability to Ultimate like Lola Pop and Helix. She would be a great addition with just who she is to ARMS an her ability to levitate because she doesn't jump so she levitate

Edited by DLurkster

https://twitter.com/Fog_TXPH/status/1272214168473686016?s=20

Someone modding a better version of Ultimate online, which would mostly just help with the competitive scene, but it's something. A fan once did the same for Street Fighter 5, and Capcom was forced to update the online since people who were using the mod of better netplay were messing with players who weren't. Kinda wishful thinking with the same happening for Ultimate though, since at that point the usual Nintendo would more likely start taking down ROM sites first, but the thought of such a scenario is interesting either way...

On the ARMS character reveal, I'm confident enough now on the end of June at latest.

I believe it was IU that said the ARMS character will release on the 3rd anniversary of ARMS release on Switch. (June 16)

With Nintendo still mum presentation releases, we just have only to rely on random drops out on Twitter like the latest trailer on the Paper Mario: The Origami King to come out of nowhere. It is not precedence with Smash to do that but at this point it either released sometime this week or what I've been saying about the last Friday of this month June 26th.

I can't see really see it releasing any later than that but I do see it releasing before in the next two weeks.

I think the presentation gets announced tomorrow and shown Tuesday. I don't think a Smash character reveal and possible release gets shadow dropped like Paper Mario: The Origami King did. For Pokemon, they announced a June 2nd presentation on June 1st for the new games' DLC including Isle of Armor's release this coming week. Smash isn't with TPC, but I imagine it's definitely considered as major when it comes to the Switch's software lineup. I would be surprised if it was a sudden drop for Smash. 

4 hours ago, IU said:

I think the presentation gets announced tomorrow and shown Tuesday. I don't think a Smash character reveal and possible release gets shadow dropped like Paper Mario: The Origami King did. For Pokemon, they announced a June 2nd presentation on June 1st for the new games' DLC including Isle of Armor's release this coming week. Smash isn't with TPC, but I imagine it's definitely considered as major when it comes to the Switch's software lineup. I would be surprised if it was a sudden drop for Smash. 

9 hours ago, DLurkster said:

I believe it was IU that said the ARMS character will release on the 3rd anniversary of ARMS release on Switch. (June 16)

With Nintendo still mum presentation releases, we just have only to rely on random drops out on Twitter like the latest trailer on the Paper Mario: The Origami King to come out of nowhere. It is not precedence with Smash to do that but at this point it either released sometime this week or what I've been saying about the last Friday of this month June 26th.

I can't see really see it releasing any later than that but I do see it releasing before in the next two weeks.

I feel pretty good Smash SLC hits this week, I see no reason Pokemon moves it the wayside and with all the updates Pokemon needs they might as well do it all at the same time.

11 hours ago, Ridley Prime said:

Lol at that pic.  But they do need to improve the network considering Smash is a flagship online title and a pay to play as well.

Not like it's gonna stay like this forever. While it's unfortunate that they didn't make use of ARMS' 3rd anniversary to get its Smash character reveal(s) out of the way (because gotta market Pokemon first I guess with its DLC coming out sooner), it can't be too far off. They even said in the Mini-Direct when they revealed ARMS for Smash that the pandemic & state of the world would possibly cause delays.

I didn't watch that ZeRo vid or the Famitsu column vid, as I feel those are obvious tell about what is going on with Ultimate.

With so much content already in this game and times we are in the stamina will were out quicker but Smash always gets its second wind. 

Pokemon DLC or not, ARMS anniversary was gonna do it either. The delay is definitely because of covid-19 and working at home. That is why on top Nintendo waiting last minute to release stuff this is more so with this and why I stick the the June 26th date. Today wasn't gonna be the day it can still happened anytime this week and more so next week. It's just like when we were waiting on direct, the more time pass the more likely we are gonna get one. This applies here obviously. I don't see the point of predicting sooner in June when later is much more likely withstanding other Nintendo news or anniversaries.

I'm smart enough to realize its a video for video's sake and he is a content creator and a Smash competitor (retired or not).

But I think the issues are real. 

Smash got exposed for bad internet connections when over the pandemic online play has been super critical.  Not that it was spectacular beforehand either.

Byleth was a letdown compared to rest of Pass 1.  Heck, the character wouldn't even have been a top tier 1st party character want.

To start of PF2 with a 1st party character that should have been in originally or no later than FP1 considering they already did an assist trophy for Springman makes no sense.

Arguably back to back Ls on DLC means #7 needs to restore order!

The only sticking point is the online in Ultimate and even then it is somewhat tolerable to me. Great emphasis on somewhat.

Everything else with Ultimate waning is subjective to how ppl play and enjoy Smash. For me I felt all that stuff but I'm over it not so over it but I'm just focus on the future and looking forward to what's next, while being patient during these time and being understand as well.

There's so many things to dwell on in life much less this stuff that is here and sort of out of mind but I keep it present. So dwelling what could be is also draining without nothing to put a pulse, until we hear what is coming I'll keep those thoughts at bay.

I was wrong. It is kind of a bummer that I cannot be playing as the ARMS rep. in Smash Brothers today, perfect day to have been doing so, but I've got ARMS and will just play it instead. If they plan on only revealing the ARMS character this month, with no other drops towards Fighter #7, it is a mistake that they didn't ride the anniversary with the update. We'll see soon enough as there are less than two weeks now. 

38 minutes ago, IU said:

I was wrong. It is kind of a bummer that I cannot be playing as the ARMS rep. in Smash Brothers today, perfect day to have been doing so, but I've got ARMS and will just play it instead. If they plan on only revealing the ARMS character this month, with no other drops towards Fighter #7, it is a mistake that they didn't ride the anniversary with the update. We'll see soon enough as there are less than two weeks now. 

The week isn't over yet man.  I really think it does come this week considering all the Pokemon stuff this week....   I don't think Pokemon updates nix anything involving Smash.  Actually, it would be a good 1-2 punch considering the PS5 reveal.

27 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

The week isn't over yet man.  I really think it does come this week considering all the Pokemon stuff this week....   I don't think Pokemon updates nix anything involving Smash.  Actually, it would be a good 1-2 punch considering the PS5 reveal.

At least I don't think Nintendo cares if PS5 is getting the spotlight. I feel like they pretend to the fans announce some stuff when they can but now that they are really going in recluse, recluse mode.

Still saying that, anything is possible and we might hear and release the ARMS character but the further we get in June I think is more likely to release. Let's see what happens.

4 hours ago, purple_beard said:

Byleth was a letdown compared to rest of Pass 1.

Even as a non-fan of FE, I'm tired of seeing people who always think they speak for the majority. I like Byleth's inclusion now; Corrin was a far worse addition during SSB4's twilight. At least Byleth's from a good/better received game in comparison, along with a better moveset & design to boot. Byleth for me is only behind Banjo and Terry far as pass 1, as expressed in the other thread.

ARMS has plenty fans as well, even if it wasn't Splatoon levels of success. Does need that boost though which nothing short of a playable character in Smash would provide, even if it isn't the best timed addition which could've happened earlier as pointed out.

2 minutes ago, Ridley Prime said:

Even as a non-fan of FE, I'm tired of seeing people who always think they speak for the majority. I like Byleth's inclusion now; Corrin was a far worse addition during SSB4's twilight. At least Byleth's from a good/better received game in comparison, along with a better moveset & design to boot. Byleth for me is only behind Banjo and Terry far as pass 1, as expressed in the other thread.

ARMS has plenty fans as well, even if it wasn't Splatoon levels of success. Does need that boost though which nothing short of a playable character in Smash would provide, even if it isn't the best timed addition which could've happened earlier as pointed out.

Byleth wasn't a bad fighter but when you have a string of out of the box 3rd party characters but end with that one it gets the ire for sure.  If Byleth had been first or maybe 2nd no one would have been as pissed.

The later in June the more likely I said but is doing 5 days earlier than I anticipated.

I suspect and I don't think he present this and says it comes out Friday but day of the presentation. May come noon that day or at 8-9pm eastern like always.

1 hour ago, purple_beard said:

35m seems kind of long for this fighter.

You did that on purpose.