Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy coming to Switch thanks to one guy

NintendoLife - One Guy Got Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Up And Running On Switch

In a nutshell, after the PS4 release of Crash Bandicoot an engineer working for Vicarious Visions spent a weekend getting the first level of the game up and running on Nintendo Switch hardware and succeeded.  It is said that after this the company saw that a Switch version was possible and the project was given the green light.  It's always surprising reading little stories like this about how smaller efforts end up becoming a pitch that results in new projects being made.  Although in this instance it probably helps that the engineer in question is a Nintendo fan according to the article.

Yup. Usually it's just a proof of concept at first. The same with Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D and Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater. I think another port developed by one person in recent memory is maybe Prince of Persia Trilogy HD on 360/PS3. I hope the same will happen with Spyro, though I'm not sure who is the developer of that remaster.

Edited by avalonknight

That's pretty awesome but not downplay the N.sane trilogy coming to Switch but if no one had attempt to see if this game can be on Switch, what would of been the fate of this coming to Switch then?

Why do ppl have to see if it's possible, instead of just oh putting on Switch, no questions asked. I get it takes time and money but one doesn't need to be fan to prove a game can be put on another system.

4 hours ago, avalonknight said:

Yup. Usually it's just a proof of concept at first. The same with Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D and Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater. I think another port developed by one person in recent memory is maybe Prince of Persia Trilogy HD on 360/PS3. I hope the same will happen with Spyro, though I'm not sure who is the developer of that remaster.

Didn't know about the PoP Trilogy having come out because of that.  But would be nice to see Spyro on Switch happen, although if the Crash trilogy does well hopefully Activision doesn't rely on one person porting a portion of it during his spare time on a weekend to give it the green light.

3 hours ago, DLurkster said:

That's pretty awesome but not downplay the N.sane trilogy coming to Switch but if no one had attempt to see if this game can be on Switch, what would of been the fate of this coming to Switch then?

Why do ppl have to see if it's possible, instead of just oh putting on Switch, no questions asked. I get it takes time and money but one doesn't need to be fan to prove a game can be put on another system.

True and I doubt we're getting the full story about what happened with this one though I'm sure the bit about one guy doing the initial work is true.  I get the argument that resources may not be there to support additional versions of a game being made but in this instance a game like Crash actually works well with the kind of games that often sell on Nintendo platforms.  It seems crazy to me that Activision wasn't exactly pushing that hard for it to happen assuming there isn't much more to this story.  By that same token it's also why I hope they put in more effort to include Switch among the platforms receiving the Spyro remaster.

But it would be nice to see more effort go into considering tackling titles for Switch.  One thing I really liked about the Wii era is that there were developers that put their best foot forward to sort of do away with certain "understood" beliefs about what Wii was or wasn't capable of.  Red Octane/Vicarious Visions did a lot towards helping the Wii versions of Guitar Hero keep some level of parity with other versions of the same game. Treyarch championed a lot of the changes that helped the Call of Duty series take advantage of the differentiating factors of hardware and keeping as much of the game intact as possible. High Voltage Software was probably the most notable in putting a lot of their weight behind Wii with a lot of their projects with Conduit and Rage of the Gladiator being standout titles for the system. There are others but these are some of the more notable ones off the top of my head.  But it would be nice to see more of this on Switch these days.  Fortunately, it seems like Panic Button has kind of taken on the mantle for third party games in that regard this generation.

Yeah, I don't think we'll get back to the Wii days where pubs go where the money is going. What I believe is stopping it is the Wii U, like the consumer, pubs were burnt from the Wii U. And as much as the Switch as been doing fine for a while now. The development of the games for some devs were in work before the Switch was a thing like COD and the Assassin's Creed series. I still go by the belief that if we do not get most of the multiplats by next year, we ain't getting them at all because by early next year any game coming to Switch would be worked on for a while now and should release in tandem like all the multiplats that release late in the year.

Still what I'm saying may or may not happen but happy with the state of games releasing so far Switch, what ppl may say what they happy about is relative but for me the Switch really have a good selection of games between 1st party and 3rd party so far. Could be better but beggers can't be choosers and I'm content for now. At least we have decent support of Ubisoft and Bethesda titles.

Regarless how N.sane came about to coming to Switch I'm grateful and hope Spyro get the same treatment, hopefully we don't wait too long for it.