Nintendo Direct: E3 2018

Splatoon Stage looks pretty cool and in some way like an original Donkey Kong structure.

I do love the costume angle instead of the colors.  Mario rocking the white wedding tux is pretty sick.

With that being called "Ultimate" but being related to fighters.....  are they  doing ALL the stages too?  It sure looked like some old (and non Smash 4) stages were up on that stage select screen.

MORE are coming per Nintendo.

Edited by purple_beard
17 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

Ya know, i wonder if sometime between now and release, if we'll get another Smash specific direct at some point?

I'm pretty sure there might be some things that haven't been revealed just yet....

That's just my own feeling on it, though

I thought there isn't anymore but I'm still in a daze with the reveal.

We know nothing of the modes. I think this is what Trinen was mentioning they are not going to reveal all with this new Smash. So in that regard they have to answer out side stage and chars, what modes are with this game.

7 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Splatoon Stage looks pretty cool and in some way like an original Donkey Kong structure.

I do love the costume angle instead of the colors.  Mario rocking the white wedding tux is pretty sick.

With that being called "Ultimate" but being related to fighters.....  are they  doing ALL the stages too?  It sure looked like some old (and non Smash 4) stages were up on that stage select screen.

MORE are coming per Nintendo.

Oh, so they are making new amiibo for the returning chars that weren't in Sm4sh in this game. Cool, just not cool for our wallets, tho.:(

29 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

Ya know, i wonder if sometime between now and release, if we'll get another Smash specific direct at some point?

I'm pretty sure there might be some things that haven't been revealed just yet....

That's just my own feeling on it, though

I feel like there will be, yeah. Maybe not a huge direct like that 50 Smash facts thing they did before Smash 4's release, but surely there are more details to come. One thing I'd really like to see announced is some sort of story/adventure/single-player mode.

Japan won the Splatoon 2 World Championship and against Europe.

50 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

I feel like there will be, yeah. Maybe not a huge direct like that 50 Smash facts thing they did before Smash 4's release, but surely there are more details to come. One thing I'd really like to see announced is some sort of story/adventure/single-player mode.

Me too. I don't think we'll see story mode as much as that would be nice. I really want to see that but I think whatever they show next will be some modes. We've seen nothing but chars, stage, items, Assist Trophies and stages. Nothing on the modes.

The Splatoon 2 World Championship didn't have as much of a surprise upset excitement as last year's tournament but there were some great plays and great matches. The triple power clam/squid jump was incredible, and the Rainmaker comeback totally shocked me.

1 minute ago, Kezay said:

It might not happen but I'd like to see them implement Smash Run into this version.  I actually enjoyed playing that quite a bit.

If they take one of the single-player modes from Smash 4 I'd definitely like to see Smash Run over Smash Tour.

3 minutes ago, Eliwood8 said:

The Splatoon 2 World Championship didn't have as much of a surprise upset excitement as last year's tournament but there were some great plays and great matches. The triple power clam/squid jump was incredible, and the Rainmaker comeback totally shocked me.

If they take one of the single-player modes from Smash 4 I'd definitely like to see Smash Run over Smash Tour.

Yeah, saw that triple Squid Jump. Phenomenal!

I actually don't what I want in single, I await for the modes announcement.

Boy, Ninty really didn't have a heck of a lot to show today. They leaned pretty heavily on that 25-minute Smash blowout. Though I suppose they can afford to put all their eggs in one basket, so to speak, especially given that that basket is the one thing that will ensure the Switch is a sellout item again this Christmas. Nevertheless, I still came away from the digital event pretty happy.

I called it with the bit about Xenoblade 2 DLC, though I wasn't expecting them to practically lead with it. Playable Jin is awesome, though I have the feeling that what we watched today is dangerously close to spoiler territory. I've been going dark on Xenoblade 2 until I can afford a Switch, and that's the way it will stay. Though now that I look at it... Is this a new game? I know it's part of the season pass, but that physical edition is throwing me off. My guess is that they're taking a New Super Luigi U approach, in that the DLC is substantial enough to merit its own separate physical release. Anyway, I'm glad I held off on the season pass so I can pick up the physical edition in September. 

Fire Emblem Three Houses looks legit. The music is shaping up to be a highlight, though I'm a little let down by the art shift. I thought the Echoes style was such a good fit for the series. It's interesting to note that each playable unit now represents a battalion led by that character, which seems to be more than cosmetic, as they can ostensibly assume different formations that affect combat. The inclusion of the segments from Echoes where you take control of your character directly is nice to see, as it really drives home the console feel of the game. I really hope they do away with the tedious daily reward systems from Fates and put the focus back on narrative the way Echoes did. At any rate, Spring is too far away. :P 

The rest of the event, with the exception of the elephant- or should I say space dragon- in the room, was pretty lukewarm for me. Mario Party is cool I guess, I don't care about Fortnite, and I'm already sold on Octopath Traveler and didn't need another trailer, though seeing the cast in detail was really nice and got me pumped nevertheless. I recognize Killer Queen from my local barcade, and it's a pretty fun game with friends. It's fairly complicated for an arcade game, but once you get going it's a blast. I'm glad to have a way to play it without dumping quarters into a machine. 

Now, Smash.

I'm overjoyed that no one got cut, and even happier that that they're bringing back every character from every iteration of Smash! I was a little worried about Roy, Dark Pit, and even Shulk to a degree. Echo characters are a great workaround for the folks who complain about clones "taking up a slot," because now they quite literally don't. Daisy is a long overdue addition and introducing her as an Echo character is the way to do it. I'm sure we're all happy to see Ice Climbers and Snake back, even with Konami being... well, Konami. Though I could almost hear the cries of agony across the world when they showed the Waluigi and Bomberman assist trophies. That's rough. 

I absolutely love that they downsized the starting roster to the original 8. Unlocking characters is so much fun, and I always felt that there were too may available at the start in Smash 4. It feels like most of them should have been unlockable. Also- and I'll be honest- I'm nearly as excited for the returning stages as I am about the returning cast. Especially Shadow Moses, Mushroom Kingdom, Frigate Orpheon, and Great Bay. And there's no way they're showing us everything. Here's hoping for Brinstar Depths and Fourside! 

Oddly, it's the smaller changes made to the existing cast that are some of the most exciting things for me. English Marth, mid-air beam charging for Samus, being able to select your Ike of choice, streamlining Shulk's Monado Arts, giving DK a practical final Smash, and making Palutena not suck butts are all positive changes in my book. And CRENANDO FINALLY HAS HIS SWORD. I'm conflicted on the changes to Shulk's final smash, now that it has a great big late-game spoiler in it, but I'll find a way to live with it. :P I've missed directional air dodging ever since Melee, and I love that roll spamming will be more easily punishable. And above all, that easy short hop attack is an absolute godsend. My MegaMan game is about to get scarier. :P

I don't think anyone expected Ridley. I've long been in the camp that says that he's too big and too powerful for Smash. But I'm not outraged to see him in. On the contrary, I'm happy to see that they made him work. They scaled him down, sure, but he's still roughly Bowser-size. And they made up for it by making him an absolute beast. Picking up Sonic the way he did and dragging him across the stage before hurling him off the edge... What was that he did to Link when he stabbed him with his tail? Did Link explode? :P It had to have been Stamina Mode. I'm really glad they didn't use the Woody Woodpecker version of him from Other M, and they even gave him a Meta-Ridley alt. I can tell I'll be picking him up when the game comes out. :) 

All in all, Smash made up for Nintendo's otherwise weak showing today, and I came away from it pretty happy with the whole thing. I'm still waiting on Kid Icarus 4. Though let's be honest, I'll probably be waiting until 2047. :P

5 minutes ago, Laclipsey said:

I called it with the bit about Xenoblade 2 DLC, though I wasn't expecting them to practically lead with it. Playable Jin is awesome, though I have the feeling that what we watched today is dangerously close to spoiler territory. I've been going dark on Xenoblade 2 until I can afford a Switch, and that's the way it will stay. Though now that I look at it... Is this a new game? I know it's part of the season pass, but that physical edition is throwing me off. My guess is that they're taking a New Super Luigi U approach, in that the DLC is substantial enough to merit its own separate physical release. Anyway, I'm glad I held off on the season pass so I can pick up the physical edition in September.

There are some things in there that would fall in spoiler territory if you know absolutely nothing of XBC2, but without context I'd say only one thing in there is a notable spoiler and that particular one was already spoiled in a pre-release trailer for the vanilla release of the game last year.  So I dunno, make of it what you will. :P  The trailer we got today for Torna seemed focused on the self contained story covering those relevant characters and while what happens here implicates events and answers questions that came from XBC2 it's not enough to take away from the experience XBC2 has to offer.

2 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

Oh, I wasn’t excpecting something as big like the 50 facts thing

Something on the smaller side just to cover other little thing that weren’t covered today

5 minutes ago, Shadow118 said:

Looks like Xander’s back

Though I don’t know why he wouldn’t be back as the announcer, but it’s nice confirmation either way

Yeah, I heard his voice as the announcer in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Nice to see he recorded line for the characters that weren't present in Sm4sh. Nice.lhappy;

Makes sense to do so instead of looking for another announcer, just cost time and money. Each Smash have had new announcer. More and more I'm looking at this game like 60% new and 40% port. Not completely new with this announcement and new with the whole spread of characters.

To be honest, I was hoping for more out of this E3. There were no huge surprises. They reverted back to what they did a few years ago which was focus on the next year, instead of beyond. 

I know I am in the minority about this, but I do miss Nintendo being physically at E3, even if it meant longer press conferences with more financial stuff. To me it just felt like a regular direct which could have taken place any time of the year. I guess that's the point though. Nintendo really doesn't need E3 anymore to do it their way. I actually applaud them for that.

While I was a tad letdown by major surprise announcements from pretty much all of the companies, I am thrilled with what is coming for Nintendo. 

Smash Ultimate couldn't come any sooner.