Nintendo Direct: E3 2018

10 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

To be honest, I was hoping for more out of this E3. There were no huge surprises. They reverted back to what they did a few years ago which was focus on the next year, instead of beyond. 

I know I am in the minority about this, but I do miss Nintendo being physically at E3, even if it meant longer press conferences with more financial stuff. To me it just felt like a regular direct which could have taken place any time of the year. I guess that's the point though. Nintendo really doesn't need E3 anymore to do it their way. I actually applaud them for that.

While I was a tad letdown by major surprise announcements from pretty much all of the companies, I am thrilled with what is coming for Nintendo. 

Smash Ultimate couldn't come any sooner.

Tho, you say that. It seem like more of the industry seem to be straying a way press and doing recorded vids and stuff. Tho Sony had press event, I feel like Sony is next to just recorded vid and Microsoft will be the only one doing live press.

Also, I agree there were no surprises really and for Nintendo, if it wasn't for Smash ppl would notice lack of games shown off. Like this tidbit for example, that Yoshi game for Switch on the eShop says 2019 now but on Nintendo.com still shows 2018.

So some titles just a few months ago that were set to come out this year have been pushed back to 2019, like Fire Emblem: Three houses. I'm not if this just to save titles for next year or they need more development time. (I really can't see the latter because of what delivered gamewise on time last year, what changed now?)

So I have to believe they just wanted titles to play for next year and to compete with Pokemon and Smash later this year, (which are weeks apart from each) warrants the push back on titles.

14 minutes ago, Tyranogre said:

All right, just watched the Fire Emblem trailer.

That sleeping girl might be Tiki, but I can’t tell for sure because the lighting makes it impossible to tell if her hair is green or not.

More likely, it's the goddess who was shown earlier in the trailer. IS would've milked the nostalgia otherwise, but that whole video was utter gibberish.

It's like that stupid robot mecha thing Nintendo opened the E3 presentation with. Neato, two minutes of random flashing visual effects featuring random characters I know nothing about, can't identify, am not cheering for, etc. Mindless explosions. Supposedly dramatic?, but I don't have a fucking clue of who's fighting who, or where, or why. No stakes. No sense. I don't know what this story is about. I don't know what this game is about. I just watched your whole fucking presentation and I don't even know what this game looks like.

It was by far the worst trailer I have ever seen for ANYTHING. This shit belongs in textbooks, under "What absolutely no trailer should ever look like".

If these types of trailers are actually being developed by industry "professionals", then holy hell do they need some fresh hires.

1 hour ago, DLurkster said:

Tho, you say that. It seem like more of the industry seem to be straying a way press and doing recorded vids and stuff. Tho Sony had press event, I feel like Sony is next to just recorded vid and Microsoft will be the only one doing live press.

Also, I agree there were no surprises really and for Nintendo, if it wasn't for Smash ppl would notice lack of games shown off. Like this tidbit for example, that Yoshi game for Switch on the eShop says 2019 now but on Nintendo.com still shows 2018.

So some titles just a few months ago that were set to come out this year have been pushed back to 2019, like Fire Emblem: Three houses. I'm not if this just to save titles for next year or they need more development time. (I really can't see the latter because of what delivered gamewise on time last year, what changed now?)

So I have to believe they just wanted titles to play for next year and to compete with Pokemon and Smash later this year, (which are weeks apart from each) warrants the push back on titles.

Mario Tennis Aces: June

Captain Toad: July

Super Mario Party: October

Pokemon: November

Smash: December

Plus we have a bunch of indie games coming out, Splatoon and Xenoblade's DLC. When you really think about it, we are just about booked, even leading up to Smash. I think the only difference is that there aren't any massive time consuming games such as Mario and Breath of the Wild, though I could always use the extra time to play those games still. 

I think based off last Nintendo's E3, I got hyped up for future announcements they could have made today on big titles like Animal Crossing, Pikmin, MP4. But they reverted, which is fine. It also doesn't help they announced Pokemon and Smash earlier this year, though for Pokemon's sake, I think it helps revealing it earlier gets all the shock and sudden upsets of the games out of the way, as opposed to everyone freaking out in a crammed trailer like "why did you do this to Pokemon blah blah blah."

Next year's E3 for Nintendo I am guessing will be much more exciting than this, granted it depends what they reveal in other directs before then. If they wanted to play the safe route like they did this year and just focus on the year, they could have a similar format, show off MP4 for 25 minutes, announced one or two new first party titles and call it an E3 again. Though with promises of other games coming out, like Pokemon 2019, it should be a show with all of the cylinders firing.

7 minutes ago, Eliwoodman12 said:

Mario Tennis Aces: June

Captain Toad: July

Super Mario Party: October

Pokemon: November

Smash: December

Plus we have a bunch of indie games coming out, Splatoon and Xenoblade's DLC. When you really think about it, we are just about booked, even leading up to Smash. I think the only difference is that there aren't any massive time consuming games such as Mario and Breath of the Wild, though I could always use the extra time to play those games still. 

I think based off last Nintendo's E3, I got hyped up for future announcements they could have made today on big titles like Animal Crossing, Pikmin, MP4. But they reverted, which is fine. It also doesn't help they announced Pokemon and Smash earlier this year, though for Pokemon's sake, I think it helps revealing it earlier gets all the shock and sudden upsets of the games out of the way, as opposed to everyone freaking out in a crammed trailer like "why did you do this to Pokemon blah blah blah."

Next year's E3 for Nintendo I am guessing will be much more exciting than this, granted it depends what they reveal in other directs before then. If they wanted to play the safe route like they did this year and just focus on the year, they could have a similar format, show off MP4 for 25 minutes, announced one or two new first party titles and call it an E3 again. Though with promises of other games coming out, like Pokemon 2019, it should be a show with all of the cylinders firing.

Since 2016, Nintendo have used one game as their focal point at E3. 2016: Zelda, 2017: Mario and 2018: Smash. Each of those years had different games to show, some more than others. So you might be on to something about the directs leading up E3 next will determine what will be revealed/shown.

Still on awe with Smash but over the next coming days with E3 and months of this year will be interesting to observe for sure.

Daemon X Machina does look really cool visually, but I was definitely expecting that trailer to end with some kind of recognizable character to contextualize the whole thing. Opening the Direct with an entirely new game with no context is a pretty ballsy move.

Also the new Smash and Octoling Amiibo look pretty cool...

Though I wonder if the other returning Smash characters that are returning will get Amiibo? I personally would love that (including alts like Leaf)

Though, how many bloody Amiibo are there now? I wonder if there’s a complete list somewhere...

honestly, I have more Dimensions figures/sets (even though I don’t have the complete series) than I do Amiibo (which is 0)

Hm...

The week leading into the E3 Direct was the Force Awakens, while the Direct itself is The Last Jedi. I expect the next general Direct to be mind blowing though now that they've gotten the Smash Direct out of the way, so maybe the Star Wars analogy isn't entirely accurate. I did like most of what was shown before the Smash Direct, but the disappointment is heavy. I was going to download Fortnite, Hollow Knight and purchase the Octo Expansion, and play Fortnite and Paladins...I'm just not excited to jump on my Switch after that. December too.

Edited by IU

I figured going into it that it would be a mainly Smash focused direct and they gave us a lot of info on Smash. We also got a name and trailer for a new FE so I was pretty satisfied myself. My only disappointment would be no Prime 4 info which was a bummer but Smash, FE and Metroid Prime 4 were the main things I wanted out of E3, two of the three isn't bad. 

2 hours ago, Kezay said:

Daemon X Machina looked legit. After XCX I'm down for some mech on mech combat action

I thought it might be Armored Core for a minute. Xenoblade X came to mind, too, but there wasn't enough emphasis on running through fields. :D It was a super weird thing to lead with, though. It looked neat, just not like the kind of thing they'd lead with.

1 hour ago, IU said:

The week leading into the E3 Direct was the Force Awakens, while the Direct itself is The Last Jedi. I expect the next general Direct to be mind blowing though now that they've gotten the Smash Direct out of the way, so maybe the Star Wars analogy isn't entirely accurate. I did like most of what was shown before the Smash Direct, but the disappointment is heavy. I was going to download Fortnite, Hollow Knight and purchase the Octo Expansion, and play Fortnite and Paladins...I'm just not excited to jump on my Switch after that. December too.

So in terms of SW, TLJ was bad?

3 hours ago, Shadow118 said:

Also the new Smash and Octoling Amiibo look pretty cool...

Though I wonder if the other returning Smash characters that are returning will get Amiibo? I personally would love that (including alts like Leaf)

Though, how many bloody Amiibo are there now? I wonder if there’s a complete list somewhere...

honestly, I have more Dimensions figures/sets (even though I don’t have the complete series) than I do Amiibo (which is 0)

Hm...

I would like to think so. So they I believe they only showed Inkling girl and Ridley, and announced a Daisy Smash amiibo. I'd really like to see the returning characters get their own amiibo though.

It makes me wonder if they're going to bring back custom special movies from Smash 3DS/Wii U. If so, will the dlc fighters from 3DS/Wii U be getting custom specials as well as the returning fighters?

Also as I joke, they should have made Ridley's Smash amiibo bigger than the Mega Yarn Yoshi and Detective Pikachu amiibo.

Now thinking on it, im going to be extremely split on how to go around buying this when the time comes

On one hand, buying it on the Eshop would be easier to take with me and wouldn't have to waste time going into the store...

On the other, the box art is quite pretty

Hm...

22 minutes ago, The Albraskan said:

I would like to think so. So they I believe they only showed Inkling girl and Ridley, and announced a Daisy Smash amiibo. I'd really like to see the returning characters get their own amiibo though.

It makes me wonder if they're going to bring back custom special movies from Smash 3DS/Wii U. If so, will the dlc fighters from 3DS/Wii U be getting custom specials as well as the returning fighters?

Also as I joke, they should have made Ridley's Smash amiibo bigger than the Mega Yarn Yoshi and Detective Pikachu amiibo.

Considering there's some returning characters that don't have an Amiibo in another line (Wolf,Pokemon Trainer,Ice Climbers as examples) I'd be surprised if they didn't make Amiibo for them

The Smash line of Amiibo probably wouldn't fell complete if they didn't, i suppose

Doubt it would be too difficult - not like there's that many characters left to do as of now

go ahead. give me orders. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
new twewy is sick. i so thought that series was dead. i loved the original for how creative and dramatic it was lol

anyway.
man they really did everything right with smash 5 holy shit.
"echo characters" is the exact concept i imagined the moment i saw lucina in the last one.
battlefield versions of every stage along with FD is another thing i thought the last one really needed
getting punished for roll spam is definitely a blessing to everybody lol

i still don't care for smash 4 physics much but i think this'll be a blast to play for fun
making sure that old versions of a character have the old voices is such a nice touch that basically nobody else would ever take the time to do
(unless they were drastically different i guess)

that zelda design is stupidly fucking cute
also kumatora aaaaaaaaaa that made me really happy even though it's a minor detail khappy;

these motherfuckers really put 'sexy' gamecube controller footage to the melee menu music tho i'm crying lmao

also ridley actually looks sick i take back everything i said

Edited by Pichi

Been watching some of the Smash Ultimate videos those at E3 have been uploading and I noticed they changed Snake's logo.  It's no longer the Foxhound insignia, it's just the "alert" exclamation point symbol. 

Edited by Kezay