E3: Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition (Switch, PS4, XBOX One, Steam)

Gematsu - Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition

Initially shown off during Microsoft's press conference the game has since been confirmed to also be coming to Switch, PS4 and Steam Winter 2018. A nice little nod as the original release of the game debuted on the XBOX 360 years ago and eventually showed up on PS3 in Japan but now just about anyone can play it when it releases.

I'm so freaking happy about this, buying on Switch for sure due to portability and X1 for achievements w/ possibly Steam later on as support for the series and this being one of my fav in the series. Still have my 360 plugged in w/ digital copy near end game so I am probably going to try and finish it then do a couple NG+ playing through, and I have a few games of the series on PS3 I need to finish.

1 minute ago, Tyranogre said:

Didn’t the Japan-only PS3 version have that pirate girl?

Wander who they’ll get to voice her in the English version...

Yep Japan only had Patty for a long time and Flynn is in the party now so he will also have a lot of new lines as well so we will definitely be getting new and returning voice actors as the game did get a big chunk of new stuff that the previous X360 didn't have. I'm so effing happy to see the game come to more people. People need to embrace the fabulous Repede. 10 YRS to think I would never play this version of the game. Just in case people who loved Symphonia on GC will love Vesperia as it plays similarly. 

Edited by Juanblue85
1 hour ago, Tyranogre said:

Patty might cause issues with the localization.

The English voice cast would have to record new lines for her battle commands, skits, etc.

Troy Baker is semi-retired.

I'm curious about above too but I honestly don't think there's a lot of line to record like the Tales game of today.

And what do you mean Troy Baker is semi-retired? The Last of US II is still in development, what the hell?!?

--------

@Kezay

"I'm so gonna kick your ass!"

2 hours ago, Kezay said:

I will say that last year BN had slated a new Tales title for Switch.  As much as I like this announcement I really hope it's not the Tales game they meant since I'd like to see a new title as well.

Yeah, as much as I love Vesperia. I'd would like to see a new Tales come Switch too.

I believe the Tales of Festival is this weekend so we might find out if a new tales is being announced. But we should take what can get for Tales on Switch and this is a good start.

3 minutes ago, Kezay said:

True, it just sucks that since Abyss 3D the series has basically avoided Nintendo platforms up until now.

Yeah, I'm grateful for that as well too. Too bad and sort of like Vesperia, the Tales of Graces game that was Japan only, only came to PS3 in English with additional content. So in total Nintendo had 6 Tales games. I'm including Tales of Hearts, Phantasia and Innocence. That came to DS, SNES and GBA, and DS respectively. Of those titles that was Japan only including remakes on PSVita were: Hearts and Innocence.

The Tales game have brief history with Nintendo system sort like the Kingdom Hearts titles.

I know Nintendo has had past Tales titles and for a while after Symphonia they were getting them more consistently. Granted a lot were Japan only for some reason, but after Dawn of the New World there was a lot of anticipation for Graces to be localized at least and that never happened.  But I guess it doesn't help they discovered a pretty big in game bug and had to recall and redistribute the game, but even so that was the last to hit a Nintendo platform until Abyss 3D.  I get the comparison with Kingdom Hearts but unlike the Tales games Nintendo got very few of the "key" titles from KH outside of Dream Drop Distance.  At least with Tales Nintendo platforms saw multiples of the "mothership" entries.

I know that Symphonia was my first but I got stuck on an annoying early boss which made me stop for many years so I am not sure if I beat that before I found Abyss on PS2 which I also got stuck on but when I played on 3DS I passed that point easily. Vesperia now in portable form will be great but I am really wanting to know what the game is they have been making for the Switch, would love a new launch exclusive Tales game for the Switch.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be getting it on Switch as long as their are no technical issues between that one and the other versions just because of the portability of it.  I rather prefer games on Switch unless its something drastic (like the FFXV Windows Edition vs.  the PS4 version).  I have never been a massive fan of the Tales series, I did beat Tales of the Abyss earlier this year and I did not think it was as great as everyone made it out to be.  That being said, I have heard Vesparia is the best in the entire series and was always an Xbox 360 exclusive. So I think I will probably give this one a good shot.