Kingdom Hearts releases on January 29, 2019

The Kingdom Hearts World Tour Orchestra Encore started in LA last night and director Tetsuya Nomura announced at the end of the orchestra that 01/29/2019 is release in the west and the to the east they get it 4 days earlier on 01/25/2019. He apologizes by saying they need a little more time than they planned originally for 2018 but there will be more information and trailers at E3.

That's all nice and all but with the KHIII premier event last month, I really thought the game would come out this year. I guess there's more to work on the game than I thought, I assume there wouldn't be push or delay the game. I just want to know the reason for the push. Though, this seems awfully familiar when they pushed FFXV from Sept to Nov, I hope it's reason like that because this game appears to be almost done so I just want answers on the push.

Oh yeah before the date was announced there was a English trailer of cutscences from KHIII, I heard it was great but there's no video up of it on Square or KH YouTube channel. This must be one of the trailers Nomura spoke we are to see at E3. I'll post it here when it's up.

Did anyone see this push/delay happening or you're just as shocked as me?

Edited by DLurkster

Hmm, this isn't the trailer shown off yesterday night at the orchestra but it contains some scenes from that trailer and what is shown in the thumbnail: Frozen

------

Continuation from my OP theory about push but another take on it.

This still focuses on the KH III premier event last month but then goes with the assumption that the feedback from the folks lucky enough to attend is what brought the decision to push the game into 2019.

This makes sense and I hope this true. I have watched some of the vids on the feeback of those who attended the event. They had lot good things to say but it was the combat, had no weight, no heft and was floaty when initiating combo. If anyone played any of the later KH title from Birth By Sleep and up, you know what this floatiness is. It is not as bad as the title before this one but I guess that was enough to push game for more polish in that department.

As, I said in the OP and what those said as feedback the game appeared fine, almost done but because of this, is this why pushed? I'm cool if that is the reason but can something like this where the voice work and look of the game is done but combat will take this much time to work on? Man, it just seems like I'm questioning every reason that sounds plausible. I'm just curious is this kind of combat would cause this much a shift in pushing the date into next year?

Another trailer from the Square Enix E3 Showcase 2018.

This trailer is not the on the shown at the Orchestra on Saturday night but it contain more of the scenes confirm in its view here and yesterday trailer as well.

I'd call this ultimate trailer because not only does this show the rest of Saturday trailer but the one from yesterday as well.

Good show.lhappy;

Overall I feel like this game is the star of the show so far next to The Last of Us and Spiderman. The game looks visually amazing. As far as the delay goes and having to wait until next year, I've waited 13 years, another half year isn't anything to me. 

Still need to go beat DDD. I'm tempted to get the package with all of the games on PS4, but at the same time would probably only want to play 1, 2 and whatever bonus content the hd remixes provided. 

Seeing the look of this last trailer now and time to think about the push in release date.  I think the push back is more than worth it now.

Back in KH II, the pirate world Sora still look like his stylistic self sans no costume. But in KH III, not only does he have costume, he look as the world he is in. Nice touch.

I'm currently replaying KH2 on the 2.5D Remix cause I never finished it on PS2 though I may have been close to the end. Since I share my account w/ my brother in TN we normally share the cost of games we both want but he messaged me yesterday saying not to pre-order cause he would take care of it. The worlds that show up in the game may interest my younger nieces since they love Disney and Pixar.

I missed this but interview with Tetsuya Nomura by IGN highlight the reason for delay.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/06/13/kingdom-hearts-3-director-comments-on-delay-to-2019-why-we-havent-seen-big-hero-6s-world?abthid=5b2091af58aa9842360000f8

The excerpt from the article

"The timing of release that we were actually looking at, we were told by many people, including hardware manufacturers, marketing teams, sales teams that it just wasn't a good timing in the year," Nomura said via translation, explaining that the differences in holiday lengths and how stores behave in different regions were a note of concern.

For Kingdom Hearts 3, the [Square Enix] western offices had requested to release the game as simultaneously as much as possible between Japan and America, so we were no longer able to just think about Japanese issues and retail situations," Nomura said.

With that in mind, Nomura said the team set its sights on January, though they considered some alternatives.

"We of course considered maybe speeding up development to release earlier than when we were told wasn't good, but the development team said that 'No, we just couldn't do that. We could delay it, but we couldn't make it any sooner.'"

Fortuitously, the team now has some extra time to continue refining the game as the release approaches, though, Nomura explained.

------

As I surmised the game is basically complete and why we got 3 different trailers this E3 and in English too. They are going use this push in the date to refined the game and they still have to work on the cutscenes in the Big Hero 6 world.

I knew the game is almost complete as it can be and wasn't for development reasons per se. Just marketing of game didn't make sense worldwide. I would say that isn't issue with the wait and fan waiting for this game but it seems like they want to make sure this markets to folks who never played this game before, why the push to make sure it can market it at the best possible time.

This I can accept, this is cool.

I. Want. This. Game. But like, compared to how long we've known this game existed (i.e. before the PS4 launched) compared to its target release date (2018), a month or so later feels like a drop in the bucket. Plus with Dragon Quest XI being early fall and Valkyria Chronicles 4 being sometime this fall, I'm actually glade the three JRPGs I'm most hyped about are a little spaced out. 

i also wonder if when Sora jumps off the cliff if he'll land before Olaf but that's probably just me.