So Ice Climbers, Ridley, and Simon Belmont are *IN* for Smash? (RUMOR)

I'll wait and see but I'll be happy if it's true.  Yeah, Ridley will be hype of course and I'm sure the return of the Ice Climbers will draw a lot of talk but I'm curious to see how they tackle a Castlevania rep and what his moveset will be like.  I'm just really looking forward to the reveal of this next Smash, I can't wait!!

1 hour ago, Kezay said:

I'll wait and see but I'll be happy if it's true.  Yeah, Ridley will be hype of course and I'm sure the return of the Ice Climbers will draw a lot of talk but I'm curious to see how they tackle a Castlevania rep and what his moveset will be like.  I'm just really looking forward to the reveal of this next Smash, I can't wait!!

Whip attacks for range, then you have what...axes, holy water, and .... to toss around....

I'm personally stoked for a Dracula Castle themed Smash arena!

Simon/Castlevania has been my most wanted 3rd party for Smash about as long as I can remember, so will be a double dream come true for me if turns out it’s legit, but as usual I’m not getting my hopes up. Refuse to believe it till I see it. Both Ridley and Simon have been seen as impossible additions nowadays, the latter due to Konami’s current state (Snake’s return was doubted for the same reasons), but we’ll see I guess.

The only way Ridley can represent his character from the Metroid Series is if his stature was a near match, and they can't really do that for him as a playable character in Smash. If that's the Metroid addition, fine, I would at least be happy that it isn't Dark Samus. I don't want to see Ridley at a third of his actual size, but he does have solid history in Metroid and has plenty of potential going forward. He's a much needed villain rep as well.

Edited by IU
40 minutes ago, IU said:

The only way Ridley can represent his character from the Metroid Series is if his stature was a near match, and they can't really do that for him as a playable character in Smash. If that's the Metroid addition, fine, I would at least be happy that it isn't Dark Samus. I don't want to see Ridley at a third of his actual size, but he does have solid history in Metroid and has plenty of potential going forward. He's a much needed villain rep as well.

Out of curiosity, would you say either of the Ridley builds here in the Smash Legacy XP 2.0 trailer are passable depictions of how he should be? As far as size or whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FPBBx4XRwk&t=2m25s

*linked to the time mark where Ridley appears, but everything in the posted trailer is pretty good and worth looking at for anyone that was into Project M/the modding scene or what have you

Been trying to get Legacy XP to work myself through SD cards the last few days, but my old Wii hasn't been wanting to properly read/load up the Legacy mod game so far (didn't have that problem with Project M), so am probably gonna homebrew my Wii at this point if nothing else... Whatever allows me to play it, though I understand they're still gonna rebalance the Rid mod in the future.

Edited by Ridley Prime
  • Chrom featured this topic
22 hours ago, Pichi said:

I have never understood why people wanted Ridley of all things. I could never understand how he'd work well as a Smash character lol

Probably to have another Metroid rep as established as Samus. Also doesn't help that in Melee the intro cinematic had Samus fighting Ridley which probably kicked off some ideas. :P  But yeah, probably the only way to make Ridley work is to restructure him so he's not as big as he proportionately should be compared to Samus and go from there.

35 minutes ago, Destiny Hero said:

Better question is why King K. Rool has so many supporters. He's literally just a fat naked alligator man. Even his own series has tossed him.

Probably the same reason as Ridley, another DK rep and another villain character. Plus he's not as big as Ridley (unless it's the K. Rool fight from DK64).

But at at that point I'd rather have Ridley first.

1 hour ago, Destiny Hero said:

Better question is why King K. Rool has so many supporters. He's literally just a fat naked alligator man. Even his own series has tossed him.

Yeah, I never understood that or the omg Tropical Freeze sucks because they changed the villains that constantly changed during the series anyway
(it sucks for other reasons)

I don’t mind the snowmad tribe in Tropical Freeze, but the tikis in DKC Returns were pretty generic and forgettable. K. Rool is wanted and got a resurge in popularity because he and his Kremling horde in part represent the golden age of Rare. He was always the villain face of DKC during that era until Tanabe (when he was still with Retro) gave him a forced vacation from DKCR and onward. The demand for K. Rool isn’t just for Smash but a return to his series in general. While the magic of the Rare DK era will never be recreated, the return of its original enemies would be the closest thing I reckon.

I don’t mind new enemy groups here and there like with the snowmads (the excuse given for the Kremlings’ hiatus even was to have some fresh new enemies in the series, so fair enough), but if the Kremlings and K. Rool are never brought back

in the future, then it’s also kind of a disservice to the fans of old DKC, but y’know.

If you didn’t grow up with any Rare DK titles, then it’s understandable to not have any attachment to K. Rool or not have a real understanding as to why he’s popular with others, but he’s a legitimate character to push for as much as anyone else. Even Tropical Freeze’s final boss is heavily based on him (no pun intended).

There’s also Dixie Kong as an alternative if he’s not your cup of tea. I wouldn’t mind either in Smash. After Diddy’s addition from Brawl and onward, I had been open to her for awhile, and being in DKCTF, she doesn’t have K. Rool’s excuse of lack of recency.

And pretty much what others said on Ridley, yeah. I guess another reason I’ll be glad if the thing with him and Simon Belmont (my most 

wanted 3rd party) turns out legit is how the ol’ term Metroidvania would become forever immortalized by the reveal. 😛 

I know I keep saying it, but if Simon being in is true I can only bet that they'll have Bloody Tears as one of the themes for whatever stage they give him.  If they do I really hope they use this version or at least have it alongside the original.  As weird and jank a game as Castlevania Judgment was some of the soundtrack especially remixes of classic themes and character themes (namely Shanoa) were pretty friggin great!

On 5/27/2018 at 11:58 PM, Ridley Prime said:

If you didn’t grow up with any Rare DK titles, then it’s understandable to not have any attachment to K. Rool or not have a real understanding as to why he’s popular with others, but he’s a legitimate character to push for as much as anyone else. Even Tropical Freeze’s final boss is heavily based on him (no pun intended).

I did. I have also played DKC1 and 2 for *thousands* of hours (at least 4k total between them) thanks to speedrunning. 
But I never thought he was that memorable, really. Boss fights were never Rare's forte.
Probably doesn't help that I'm not fond of DK64, though.