Bioha7ard is coming to Switch...

via cloud version in Japan.

Starting May 24th you can rent the cloud version for 2000 yen (about $18) for 180 days and includes all the previously released DLC. You can try it out for free for 15 minutes and download is only 45MB.

Is this another botched opportunity for Capcom or are they onto something providing cloud version of this game on Switch?

https://gonintendo.com/stories/309453-resident-evil-7-cloud-version-coming-to-switch-in-japan

Their video is pretty good.  

How good could this actually work?

I mean, at home yeah... home network.

Public places with public wifi, places of business with free wifi ....ehh.... fast enough to work well in this kind of gaming?

If you are outside of any kind of internet service/wifi coverage  you have a dead game.

Edited by purple_beard

I've always been against digital streaming services. The only way I'd be interested in cloud gaming is if the price was too good to argue, like Netflix, which I often use to gauge my interest in movies and TV shows, and if I really enjoy them, I'll buy them on blu-ray.

The same would go for gaming, but at four times the cost, like PlayStation Now, no thanks.

19 minutes ago, purple_beard said:

Their video is pretty good.  

His enthusiasm is infectious, admittedly it makes me a bit less critical of it, but not by much. :P

But I'm surprised he's so surprised by this even in Nintendo's regard just because it's not something they ever really talked about or hinted at. I can't recall if Wii had any such games but the 3DS has a version of Dragon Quest X that is streamed from the cloud.

Ah, I forgot Phantasy Star Online 2 is cloud based on Switch but that's with SEGA and this game is with Capcom. I wonder with this trend with cloud gaming Switch is viable in Japan then elsewhere in the world.

As some brought up, this is not practical outside the home and even in homes as our internet infrastructure isn't the greatest bandwidth wise. What makes this news so odd is that for Phanstasy Star Online 2 that makes sense, that's MMO but trend or not in Japan why did Capcom chose RE7 as it cloud based gaming? The Switch with its games should play to its strengths as handheld and home console hybrid. This announcement for this type of game is great but totally throws away what makes the Switch unique in the first place.

I don't think I trust my internet connection enough to play a game entirely via streaming, at the very least not unless I got a LAN adapter for my Switch. Now if it was just a digital rental I might be on board, but the uncertainty of streaming makes me hesitant. And it's especially ironic that they would do this on the Switch, where the whole point of the console is that you can carry it around with you and play anywhere.

Seems like an interesting way to circumvent actually porting and optimizing the game on the Switch, which would probably be a pain in the ass considering you're have to probably remake and optimize a new engine like UE4 to make it even possible.  I'm interested to hear impressions since it's a weird little experiment and we're approaching the age where internet infrastructure is becoming good enough for such a thing to be possible in the first place.

Edited by luca
3 hours ago, Fuzzer1 said:

So, why isn’t this playable in the US and Europe?

Capcom sure dropped the ball on this one.

Maybe it will come in due time?  How long did it take them to localize the Switch version of Monster Hunter XX? Maybe that's the time table we get to work with :P

Just now, Kezay said:

Maybe it will come in due time?  How long did it take them to localize the Switch version of Monster Hunter XX? Maybe that's the time table we get to work with :P

True. Wonder how long it takes to localize a MegaMan game by comparison, given there’s not much to translate anyway?

8 hours ago, Eliwood8 said:

I don't think I trust my internet connection enough to play a game entirely via streaming, at the very least not unless I got a LAN adapter for my Switch. Now if it was just a digital rental I might be on board, but the uncertainty of streaming makes me hesitant. And it's especially ironic that they would do this on the Switch, where the whole point of the console is that you can carry it around with you and play anywhere.

I don't either. I run into issues via Playstation Now. I can play games ok there, but there's an occasional drop. Agreed. Why sell the games if it's only for them to be on loan? I'm not all that interested in paying for a game more than once.

Edited by Doc Brown

Capcom: Nintendo, can you add an additional 2 gigs of memory so we can get the RE7 engine running on Switch?

Nintendo: I don't know, that's would add to the price and might make the hardware... kinda you know modern...

Capcom: Pleeeeeeease!

Nintendo: Okay, fine. Can't wait to see how the RE7 engine looks.

Capcom: Muhahahahahah!

10 hours ago, luca said:

Seems like an interesting way to circumvent actually porting and optimizing the game on the Switch, which would probably be a pain in the ass considering you're have to probably remake and optimize a new engine like UE4 to make it even possible. 

If Capcom were competent, their engine would scale like UE4. I find this approach doubious considering the fact that Doom and Wolf2 are running on the Switch and are way more demanding of the hardware all things considered.

At best this is just an experiment for Japan and a true port is coming for the rest of us. At worst this is Capcom not wanting to spend any money on porting.

Edited by Punchy