Mario Tennis Aces - Discussion Thread

From June 1st, 6pm PDT to June 3rd, 11:59pm PDT Switch owners can join a free pre-launch tournament for Mario Tennis Aces featuring four playable characters: Mario, Yoshi, Peach, and Bowser. Starting May 24th there will be a free eShop download which will let players demo the game for the first weekend of June. By winning online matches players can earn points which can be used to unlock five additional characters for the demo. Players can also play offline in single-player mode against the computer. All participants in the demo will unlock Mario's classic outfit in the full game.

Seems to be following in the footsteps of the Splatoon and Arms preview/demo weekends. Should be a good opportunity to test the game out though.

EDIT: Updated thread title since people have been using this for general discussions of the game.

Edited by Eliwood8

Surprised there aren't any other comments in this thread considering how good Aces looks and that additional content can be unlocked through the demo to try out as well among other things. Definitely gonna have to give it a shot, havent' done much gaming lately but I gotta see what the new Mario Tennis is bringing to the library.

Finally some news on the NA front. I just wanna try this out already.

29 minutes ago, Kezay said:

Surprised there aren't any other comments in this thread considering how good Aces looks and that additional content can be unlocked through the demo to try out as well among other things. Definitely gonna have to give it a shot, havent' done much gaming lately but I gotta see what the new Mario Tennis is bringing to the library.

Give it time, Kezay they will come. I make post number 3 here now.lhappy;

This information is not about the demo but what games have as modes in the game:

Story

- story begins on the day of a certain tennis tournament 
- the power of suspicious rackets wielded by Wario and Waluigi starts to cause a problem 
- this leads to Luigi, Wario and Waluigi suddenly disappearing 
- according to Toad, the rackets Wario and Waluigi held are said to have terrifying powers that can control people 
- if the racket’s mystery can be solved, there may have been a clue to find Luigi

Adventure Mode

- numerous missions will block Mario’s progress 
- sometimes you’ll need to complete certain requirements other than just simply winning battles 
- this includes aiming for a specified place on the court or beating the enemy within the allotted time 
- stages have different gimmicks as well 
- some stages have strong enemies that use special attacks and cannot be hurt with ordinary attacks 
- win missions to gain experience and raise Mario’s stats 
- clearing missions may also reward new rackets 
- having all rackets broken during a mission will cause a Game Over 
- missions have varied difficulties, from easy to advanced

Free Match (Singles / Doubles)

- The rules can be freely set. Has up to 4-player versus. 
- Settings like CPU difficulty, court, and K.O. option can also be changed.

Local versus

- If you bring Switch with the game, you can have versus on a local connection with up to four players. 
- You can choose between 1-vs-1 singles and 2-vs-2 doubles.

Online versus

- You can connect to the internet to fight rivals and friends alike. 
- You can play for free until September 2018; after that, you will need to subscribe to the paid Nintendo Switch Online service.

Tournament (singles only)

- A mode where all players join a tournament and aim for the top. 
- Toad will provide live commentary which will hype up the battles.

Tournament (online)

- Online tournaments, where you fight for ranks with worldwide players, will be held monthly. 
- You can take on the tournament multiple times, and the rankings will be set based on the points earned.

Tournament (offline)

- Aim for conquering the top of all three tournaments available. 
- Initially you’re only able to access one tournament, but you’ll be able to challenge more difficult tournaments by becoming the champion.

Swing Mode (Singles / Doubles)

- You can freely swing the Joy-Con to play with actually feeling the shots. 
- Recommended when you just want to have fun with everyone.

One Point Advice: Try playing by changing the rules

- In Free Match and Swing Mode, you can enjoy tennis battles with more rules other than standard. 
- You can choose a big tennis ball which will move more slowly and is also easier to be hit by the racket. 
- You can also go with simple rules in Free Match, where matches don’t use energy and will fully rely on your tennis skills.

Switch modes

- on the big screen (TV) 
- by sharing Joy-Con (tabletop) 
- thoroughly alone (handheld)

Source

34 minutes ago, Fuzzer1 said:

So what’s the point of downloading it if it’s not live until June 1st?

And we have no idea who the other characters that could be unlockable in the demo are yet.

Do you always ask obvious questions?

Also, why would they be unlockable characters in demo? All one have to do is look to the OP for who you can play as in the demo.

Edited by DLurkster

My husband and I actually downloaded the demo to try it out today. Neither of us has played a Mario Tennis game before. It's a lot of fun so far! Neither of us is very good yet, but we're having fun practicing, and planning on buying the full game together when it comes out.

I really don't like my internet provider. Sometimes the connection is solid, sometimes it completely goes. I put down the demo because the experience was just getting too frustrating with the movement lag/delay, and unfortunately it's no fault of the game. I still am planning on buying the full release, but it looks like it'll be a mostly local multiplayer game for me.

Out of 11 matches I only managed to win 1. :(  I can't win a match to save my life. However, I have won quite a few rounds. IDK If I'm doing something wrong, but what's really getting me is purple power shorts (not sure how to do this), people using special shots to win games, and people slowing down my special shots to block them (I can't figure out how to do that as well). BTW, one guy kept doing purple power shots when serving (which I couldn't handle) and won the entire round this way. Yeah..I probably need to play the tutorial a bit more and just practice against the CPU.

I did however manage to unlock Waluigi by getting 100 pts in the tourney. Also, dis serve!... 🤩

Only played against one person last night but I thought it was a good match. Both of us made mistakes and it went a pretty good length. I'll upload it sometime early next week.

Do plan on playing more tonight after work.

Tried it late last night, like IU experience with lag will be you enemy especially returning shots. Like my opponent would serve, I press a button to return and lag picks it up late and it ends up being a body shot for some reason. Other than that the game is way more fun than Ultra Smash.

Also, if want to combat the lag use powerful characters like Bowser he compensate for return shot delay a bit. Your timing will be better with him.

I've only made it to the 3 round in this thing and can't seem to get past that point. I've got about 1100 or so points. That's how long I've been playing this last night, my thumbs are sore.

I started the tutorial last night. Then I picked it up today and played the first round, got very close to winning, it was a tie breaker till the end but wound up losing. There were a lot of things I forgot already with the button combinations and all of that. I think once I master that I could be very good at the game. I did have some lags but didn't take away from the overall experience.

You have to press Y to make your shots purple, those are called flat shots. Making them more powerful is a matter of charging yourself up in advance by pressing the button earlier, or if you're serving, by timing your shot so that the ball is at the very peak of the toss (it'll say 'Nice' when you do it right).

13 minutes ago, Chrom said:

You have to press Y to make your shots purple, those are called flat shots. Making them more powerful is a matter of charging yourself up in advance by pressing the button earlier, or if you're serving, by timing your shot so that the ball is at the very peak of the toss (it'll say 'Nice' when you do it right).

I also believe there's another way to get max charge shot by not only pressing the button early but if pressing the button for the type shot rapidly twice before swing will result in max charged shot too. I think the timing of the press is key, just hitting without rhythm won't result in a max charge.

But this all up preference if you prefer to hold the button or rapidly press before you swing. I prefer the rapid pressing button. After a little trial and error.

This game is pretty good outside the matches with red bar connections, which happen way too often for me now. Even matches that show it's beyond red bars can and will dip down to a red bar connection. Games that I've played with red bar connections usually don't end up fun because of the input lag. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the Switch isn't connected with a cable, or if it's the other person's connection, or if it's Nintendo's online infrastructure, but it's really bugging me. 

Otherwise the actions that use energy aren't as terrible to the gameplay as I was expecting, though the lunging trick shots do get way out of hand a lot of the time.