Monster Hunter is getting a movie from the director and star of Resident Evil

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05/13/monster-hunter-is-getting-a-movie-directed-by-paul-w-s-anderson-and-starring-milla-jovovich/

Personally, I was never even that much of a fan of even the video game.  I tried playing a demo of one of them on the 3DS and it wasn't that exciting.  My favorite monster RPG is still Pokemon.

Well this is an interesting combination. It doesn’t matter how many times a video game adaptation bombs at the box office, critically, or both someone is just going to keep trying. This was not the series we pegged for an adaptation next but here we are; according to Variety Constantin Film’s has signed Paul W.S. Anderson to direct a Monster Hunter movie starring Milla Jovovich. The movie has a reported budget of $60 million dollars and is set to start shooting this September.

“Monster Hunter” will shoot in South Africa, in and around Cape Town. “The crews are great there and, at least for a European company, it’s easy to get there: Same time zone, overnight flights. We are very much in a comfort zone of production,” said Martin Moszkowicz Chairman of the Executive Board of Constantin Film.

Terrible news. Resident Evil got gutted from having to endure 15 years of the film franchise, which partly in turn led to the action phase the game series had going for awhile as opposed to survival horror.

Apart from the CG ones, was tough trying to get myself to even enjoy some of the RE films for what they were (guilty pleasures at best), but the last one particularly was irredeemable... and now Monster Hunter’s next on their list to tarnish? I guess they have an ongoing contract with Capcom, since the RE films still made money despite their reception from fans. Go figure.

The first RE film was the closest to capturing the horror roots of the series, but aside from that, the first Mortal Kombat was the only passable video game adaptation Paul has done I think, though that was before he met Milla.

Going by a certain pattern, I expect the first Monster Hunter film might be decently watchable, while the sequels it spawns will get pretty much worse and worse.

I just hope now that they’re done making “horror” movies under the RE name, that MH will feel more right at home for them to make; an explosive actionfest with CG monsters, not that we’re short on those kind of films, but y’know.

Still, at this point I would trust Michael Bay or someone more with something like Monster Hunter than Capcom’s go-to guy for bad video game films.

The recent Rampage has also been a success. The stigma against video game films as a whole (i.e. they’ve all failed or sucked) is overrated, though doesn’t help when we still get examples here and there that support said stigma...

Edited by Ridley Prime
1 minute ago, Ridley Prime said:

The recent Rampage has also been a success. The stigma against video game films as a whole (i.e. they’ve all failed or sucked) is overrated, though doesn’t help when we still get examples here and there that support said stigma...

Did the Rampage video games even have a story though?

And are we talking commercial success, or accuracy to source material success?

8 hours ago, EH_STEVE said:

Did the Rampage video games even have a story though?

And are we talking commercial success, or accuracy to source material success?

Not really. The 'plot' was about as basic barebones as it got for a smash 'em up monster game, so the movie had that advantage I guess, of less things to possibly mess up. They did change some parts of the monster designs though, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for most. So far I've heard good things from some I know who have played the games. My experience is just the N64 ports, but was planning to go see it soon or later.

I meant box office along with mostly critical success, which for a video game film of its caliber is a gift. The Resident Evil films couldn't of been further from the source material, but sadly, still made a lot of money.