Nintendo has no plans to sell classic games on the Switch eShop under the Virtual Console banner

I really hope these plans change, but honestly, I'd rather have little VC boxes like the NES/SNES classic. I guess Nintendo feels they can get more money if they include VC games as a part of the Switch paid online service. I can totally see them just adding games every now and then or doing a Netflix style service for the VC. Now that I think of it, Nintendo saying this does make since, givne the Arcade Archives games on the Switch eShop and the SEGA AGES games coming later this year.

• alienboyva changed the title to Nintendo has no plans to sell classic games on the Switch eShop under the Virtual Console banner

If i want to play the what was said game

Nintendo officially says there are "no plans" to do a Virtual Console service with Switch like they've done with other platforms"

That doesn't mean no VC, that really means the games will come under a new or different banner.

The only thing that I think is bad about that above statement is that I believe the term Virtual Console has a very strong branding presence in the market so whatever comes next needs to be as good.  I'm not opposed to a netflix like service BUT, I am not always online to stream games, and I would rather have the hard copy on my switch somehow.  Maybe a rent/buy option comes then..... you can pay a monthly fee to "rent" games off the streaming or you can buy them outright.  I hope like hell the Switch gets the entire Wii VC collection moved over because if I could get my 200+ classic games moved over for tv AND on the go I am down to double dip.

Well at least they finally told us that the Virtual Consile isn't coming to Switch. As long as Nintendo brings classic games I'll be fine, unless it's only NES games. But now that @purple_beard brought up, are the classic games included with the Switch online service streamed like PS Now, or do you get access to download them to your system like Xbox Game Pass does? 

This kind of sucks just hope the online service is good and all. I don't mind playing a monthly plan just to play classic games on it since I still have some VC games on my Wii. Also Tyranogre I sold my Wii U  since I only had a 4 or 5 games mostly the same ones on the Switch. 

Edited by WING-X

Personally I'm kind of over buying VC games; even if the entirety of the NES through Wii catalogs were available on the Switch there's really nothing I'd feel compelled to buy. It does kind of feel like a step backward to not offer them though.

From naming convention I totally get why they won't call these classic game Virtual Console, the Nintendo Switch is neither a console or a handheld. Like millennials, they're trying to run away from labels defining who they are.

As for me, my time with VC was swell but as it currently stands it is not practical in this day of age where we can watch and play anything all online catalog. It's been great VC but time to move over more modern needs.

I just hope Nintendo can maintain this catalog better than what they did with the Wii U.

I think no Virtual Console makes the Switch better just in terms of news. I'm glad that this system doesn't have to go through what the Wii U did with a slow trickle of classic releases, and it's good that the indie games won't have to compete with nostalgia. As someone who was looking forward to classic game releases on the Wii U, each Thursday update for the shop usually was a disappointment and having that go on for around 4 years didn't help my opinion of the Wii U. I'm happy that the Switch will lean on fresh experiences for its digital shop going forward. I figured that Nintendo would go that direction since they've been quiet about VC for this long, so it's good to get the confirmation.

20 minutes ago, The Ultimate Mario Fan said:

This reminds me of when Wii U dropped GCN support.  It has to go away eventually and Nintendo doesn't want to just rest on their laurels. 

While I do think the VC should make a comeback someday, I approve of this change.  Then again, I've always just played the original games on their original hardware anyway.

When did the WiiU ever have GCN support?  That 4p adapter for Smash was not GCN support.

fuck what if i want to buy a 14th copy of oot and super mario world

If Nintendo wants to being back classic games it can do better than the VC tbh.  It competed with emulators, and Nintendo's approach to modernizing some of their older games with online seems like a novel reason to actually bring them back. y;

• Chrom featured this topic